Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

GDI Heap Extender

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,956 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Can this be overcome by increasing the value of GDIMaxHeapSize in win.ini? When this value is changed, will it be effective at once or a reboot is needed?

A reboot is needed.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08
May I join the testing please. My current config is as follow:

I don't have: RP9

I have: KernelEx 4.0 Final 2, Unofficial WMF Q918547 GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE Fix

What is the minimum action that I should conduct for joining the testing? If RP9 is mandatory, which of its feature must be installed?

Just want to clarify before I jump, thanks.

Edited by oc_dt, 12 September 2009 - 10:38 PM.

OC

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08

I think I stumbled upon a potential limitation in the extender (or just misrepresentation of the resource meter perhaps?). When the bitmap count is pushed beyond 600 (611) in this case, certain applications may start to lose their GDI elements (will become blank or corrupt) or will not properly refresh GDI elements. After around 800-1000 or more bitmap entries, some noted symptoms have occured:

.. as a side curiosity.. does the GDI extender also go as far as Brushes/Pens? Some programs such as 3mle, a MIDI->MML composer/editor for example basically overflow the brush/pen count with useless entries (but still clean most of them up on close) after a while of use and need to be closed down and restarted to actually use again before it brings down the system due to a lack of resources as a result.

Chozo4, which tool do you use to see all these parameters? I'd like to try it.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

http://www.geocities.../misc/bear_.htm

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined 31-July 05

Ah, I didn't know of that one at all. I'd been using your older 'G.EXE' (GDIView) for listing the GDI usage.

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08

May I join the testing please. My current config is as follow:

I don't have: RP9

I have: KernelEx 4.0 Final 2, Unofficial WMF Q918547 GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE Fix

What is the minimum action that I should conduct for joining the testing? If RP9 is mandatory, which of its feature must be installed?

Just want to clarify before I jump, thanks.

May you help me on the installation instruction please?
OC

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

No. Sorry, i don't need testing anymore, nor do i have time to review testing results. GDI Heap Extender is unstable beta (stable for someone/thing, but not everyone/thing) and there are known problems which require major changes which i can't afford yet due to lack of time.

RetroOS

RetroOS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07

Nice tool! Thanks Tihiy.
retrofreak n a person who is very enthusiastic about something from the past.
retrology n the study of association with and revival from the past.
life n a series of near misses.

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08

No. Sorry, i don't need testing anymore, nor do i have time to review testing results. GDI Heap Extender is unstable beta (stable for someone/thing, but not everyone/thing) and there are known problems which require major changes which i can't afford yet due to lack of time.

Sorry to hear about that. Please let us know if you have new progress at your free time.
OC

RodgerOver

RodgerOver

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 14-December 07

Hi Tihiy,
beta 2 works now perfect hier (WIN 98SE + 4.10.2222 + IE6SP with newest = beta (unofficial) updates).
After install, 2 Dr Watson messages (even if Dr Watson is not in the taskbar anymore, but still in the startup after installing your software):

1st message:
Windows Briefcase used an invalid or uninitialized "critical section".
Module Name: SYNCUI.DLL
Description: Windows Briefcase
Version: 4.10.1998
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Application Name: Pdexplo.exe
Description: PowerDesk
Version: 5.0.1.6
Product: PowerDesk
Manufacturer: V Communications, Inc.[i]

--> Reinstalled SYNCUI.DLL with SFC from c:\windows\options\cabs

But then again:

2nd message:

[i]
Windows Briefcase used a system resource improperly.

Module Name: SYNCUI.DLL
Description: Windows Briefcase
Version: 4.10.1998
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Application Name: Explorer.exe
Description: Windows Explorer
Version: 4.72.3612.1710
Product: Microsoft® Windows NT® Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation[i]

--> Reinstalled SYNCUI.DLL again with SFC from c:\windows\options\cabs

I suppose I needed to do this operation twice, because PowerDesk is his "grafted" on WINExplorer.

Then an one the (start) page of my internet provider, who was saying that I needed to edit some lines in IE (I believe) to correctly read the page (some pictures where missing). After some trial and error, I replaced Flash 9 with Flash 10 (oups, forgot to set back the registry from WIN NT to WIN 98, need to do that after this message).

NOW everthing is fine and VERY STABLE (GDI and Systems in Bear is at 77% at the moment). GREAT WORK AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Good luck !

Roger

Edited by RodgerOver, 03 October 2009 - 02:35 PM.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
I have been using this for few days now and things have worked pretty much perfectly, except for Miranda IM having icons in black and some icons being wrong in File Types list also. ( http://www.fileden.c...andaProblem.png )
Opera10 with million active tabs worked perfectly, stuff that could not have achieved before is fully possible now. After a day of constant use, things still work fine :D

Otzen prekrasnoi rabota :thumbup
Moi russkii nye horozo :blushing:

EDIT: seems I have exceeded my monthly bandwidth on Fileden.... reset happens after 8 days...

Edited by TmEE, 07 October 2009 - 05:40 AM.

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
sorry for the bump, but this bug deserves its own post IMO

I have Ati Radeon 9200SE in my PC, and I use final 9x Omega drivers for it, and when TV out is enabled on the GFX card and I switch any application to fullscreen, things halt.
Keyboard handler seems operational, since pressing many keys down results in beeping. In Winamp, the song that is being played will play until the end and that's all. All video is completely stopped on PC monitor and TV.
Disabling TV out will make everything work again.

Something seems to clash between the drivers and RP... ?

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined 31-July 05

sorry for the bump, but this bug deserves its own post IMO

I have Ati Radeon 9200SE in my PC, and I use final 9x Omega drivers for it, and when TV out is enabled on the GFX card and I switch any application to fullscreen, things halt.
Keyboard handler seems operational, since pressing many keys down results in beeping. In Winamp, the song that is being played will play until the end and that's all. All video is completely stopped on PC monitor and TV.
Disabling TV out will make everything work again.

Something seems to clash between the drivers and RP... ?

Have you tried it before installing RP and then GDI Extender? Have you tried removing RP9 and the extender and seeing if the issue still continues? If it still continues after removing the such, then it's not related to the extender nor RP9 but rather the drivers, a setting in relation to the drivers, or something else in its' entirity.

If it occurs when you install RP9, try setting the debug options from RPConfig.exe under 'Misc' and then see if that helps with anything at all. Disabling the GDI resource salvation option within MISC also disables the GDI Extender (if installed) as a result.

Edited by Chozo4, 10 October 2009 - 01:30 PM.

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
Seems that my GFX card problem is related to either the DIB engine update or the GDI update from M$. Neither has options for uninstall so I think one will have to do some file replacing to reverse the installation... ?

Things worked before and there had not been any configuration changes done in GFX settings other than disabling TV out to avoid lockup problems.
I have not tried other driver versions yet.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08

Thank you, I'll try it.

I'd been using your older 'G.EXE' (GDIView) for listing the GDI usage.

I cannot find this version on the Internet. Only the new win2k+ version is available. Can you tell me where to find it or upload it somewhere?

supem

supem

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 27-April 08
M()zart,
You can find it here: http://run.to/sz

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined 31-July 05

I cannot find this version on the Internet. Only the new win2k+ version is available. Can you tell me where to find it or upload it somewhere?

http://rwinds.no-ip.org/file/G.rar

Edited by Chozo4, 16 October 2009 - 07:17 PM.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08

http://rwinds.no-ip.org/file/G.rar

Thank you, Chozo4. After four days of trying at last I've downloaded it :)

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08
I'm quite desperate with Flash 10 when it quickly consumed all my GDI resources lightning fast! May you guide me on the procedure for installing and uninstalling this GDI Heap Extender please.
OC

charly

charly

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05

GDI Heap Extender is a technology aimed to improve Windows 98/Me system capability to load more programs and run more stable by extending available GDI resources.

Download:
http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXbeta2.zip

With the new rpXbeta2 dr watson is now running all the time, can't find how it is getting loaded to shut it down on startup.
Doesn't work with System Tool, and can't find in registry where its loaded?
Thanks,Charlie

RetroOS

RetroOS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07

GDI Heap Extender is a technology aimed to improve Windows 98/Me system capability to load more programs and run more stable by extending available GDI resources.

Download:

With the new rpXbeta2 dr watson is now running all the time, can't find how it is getting loaded to shut it down on startup.
Thanks,Charlie

Yeah, the last beta2 is unstable, more so than beta1.
So... use rpXbeta1.

charly

charly

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05

Download:

Thanks,Charlie

Yeah, the last beta2 is unstable, more so than beta1.
So... use rpXbeta1.

Your right,thanks

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
RP 9.1.2 and Norton Antivirus 2005 don't seem to get along at all, I got to install NAV with no issues, but running the program itself resulted in overall system crashes with complete halt other than moving mouse cursor.
I uninstalled RP and things work perfectly now. I've not tried to reinstall RP, but I believe it not to work like before uninstall.

I'll be uninstalling NAV as soon as the new virus definitions get downloaded, so I can add them to the DOS part of NAV I stripped out to do some sweet full system scans and file repairs in pure DOS where no viruses run anymore ^^

So far RP has only caused major problems with NAV2005 for me, and inconveniences with Miranda IM 8.x in form of black icons.

RetroOS

RetroOS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07

RP 9.1.2 and Norton Antivirus 2005 don't seem to get along at all, I got to install NAV with no issues, but running the program itself resulted in overall system crashes with complete halt other than moving mouse cursor.
I uninstalled RP and things work perfectly now. I've not tried to reinstall RP, but I believe it not to work like before uninstall.

I'll be uninstalling NAV as soon as the new virus definitions get downloaded, so I can add them to the DOS part of NAV I stripped out to do some sweet full system scans and file repairs in pure DOS where no viruses run anymore ^^

So far RP has only caused major problems with NAV2005 for me, and inconveniences with Miranda IM 8.x in form of black icons.

As the previous three posts have discussed, beta2 (9.1.2) is more unstable than beta1 (9.1.1).
beta1 (9.1.1) is very stable from what I've experienced.

Actually, I've been running for a while without the GDI Heap Extender (that is, just RP 9.1.0).
During this time, I had a number of occasions where I blew out the Windows resources, especially in Firefox 3.5.5, where I had no problem with beta1 (9.1.1).
So... I now have beta1 (9.1.1) installed again and generally more stable than without - probably because of less resource exhaustion crashes.

Bleeder

Bleeder

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 27-December 05
What about rpxbeta3? See Tihiy's Aug 27 post. Is it more stable than rpxbeta2?

Edited by Bleeder, 19 December 2009 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users