GDI Heap Extender Beta 1 Testing
RetroOS, on Aug 10 2009, 04:57 PM, said:
RetroOS, on Aug 2 2009, 10:41 PM, said:
GDI Heap Extender - Testing Beta0
On one occasion, after several minutes of switching between tabs, the icons, tabs and other smaller graphics became corrupted. Icons on the Desktop were masked against random bits of web page graphics.
On this same occasion, there was noticible sluggishness even when the apps were closed.
However, I have not been able to reproduce this after a restart.
Generally stable. No problems with restarts. Haven't tried a shutdown.
While testing Beta 0 refresh, I've again seen the identical problem above, also in Firefox, although 3.5.2 now.
This time, there was only one tab while listing a large number of files on sourceforge.net.
No apparent issues in Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and other apps.
I have done some shutdowns now, and have once seen a really cool shutdown crash!
With Beta 0 refresh, Windows 98SE seems faster - perhaps my imagination?
Firstly Tihiy, I'm very sorry for misleading you with the Firefox problem.
I've found that the exact same problem occurs with GDI Heap Extender disabled
So, it would appear that this particular problem I have is unrelated to GDI Heap Extender.
That being said, Beta 1 is really stable!
Good work Tihiy!
Test results with Beta 1 (basically the same as Beta 0):
Testing with Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Firefox 3.5.2 using the following sites concurrently:
(note that this list differs slightly to previous testing in that I've swapped ibm.com for epson.com due to some issues I was having with ibm.com)
microsoft.com - msfn.org - symantec.com - avast.com - adobe.com - lenovo.com - amazon.com - ebay.com - mozilla.com - creative.com - epson.com
Without GDI Heap Extender
IE: starting GDI: 97 - during test: 20 - after closing: 90
FF: starting GDI: 97 - during test: 79 - after closing: 97
With GDI Heap Extender Beta 1
IE: starting GDI: 98 - during test: 45 - after closing: 98
FF: starting GDI: 98 - during test: 84 - after closing: 98
One point to note, is that without GDI Heap Extender, IE does not relinquish all of it's GDI resources.
This problem is solved while using GDI Heap Extender
Also, with GDI Heap Extender enabled, the free system GDI is slighty higher.