Outlook 2007 Freezing

kingsc

Hello All,

I have a difficult problem. I have a user who's Outlook 2007 freezes, and produces an OfficeLifeboat hang failure in Event viewer when she performs a search intermittently.

She's connected to her own personal mailbox, as well as 2 others, one for expense reports and another for accounts payable. They are all large.

I thought she was the only one with this sort of setup, but I recently discovered another user with the same setup and not experiencing the same issue so I'm going to look at hers later today but this is what I have so far.

What I've done:

* Rebuilt profile

* Checked for google desktop and windows desktop search

* Made sure indexing was disabled in services.msc.

* Office Diagnostics

What I haven't done:

* Re-installed Office

* Re-imaged machine

* Anything else I haven't though of.

What I can't do:

* Delete "unnecessary" email

* Tell the user not to use so many subfolders and with long folder names.

Has anyone experienced something similar? The Officelifeboathang error leads me nowhere; alot of people have had it, but with different types of symptoms and none relating to a search.

Edited by kingsc

I looked at the other user. She has WDS installed. Apparantly she has even more mailboxes attached then the user with the problem. Looks like WDS has an outlook addin that's indexing her email so of course the searches work and are fast.

I can't find a better solution so I'm installing WDS and crossing my fingers. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The problem with those are that they sit in the background eating up resources while they aren't being used, and requires the indexing service to be enabled which is not.

Also, that won't alleviate the now somewhat new issue that its' even freezing sporadically when navigating folders.

Now, I know that means she has too much stuff. I'm well aware. Problem is she works in accounts payable and she needs ALL of them. On top of that, there is another user in her department that has all the same mailboxes that she does, plus a couple more and no problem....... frustrating.

EDIT - Updating everyone and myself....

What I've done:

* Rebuilt profile

* Checked for google desktop and windows desktop search

* Made sure indexing was disabled in services.msc.

* Office Diagnostics

* Run Contig on OSTs/PSTs

What I haven't done:

* Re-installed Office

* Re-imaged machine

* Disable OutlookAddin

* Run sfc /scanonce

* Anything else I haven't though of.

Edited by kingsc

I think you have been misled

http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answ...mp;answer=12403

Depending on the amount of data on your hard disk, Google Desktop needs only a few days to create your new index. This initial indexing process occurs only when your computer is idle, so you may want to leave your computer powered up and idle for an evening or two after you install Google Desktop. Also, please make sure that your email program is open during the initial indexing period to speed up the indexing process. If you use your computer or open various programs on your computer, the indexing process may take longer to complete.

While the index is in progress, the message 'One-time index update in progress' appears on your Google Desktop page. Once your index is complete, it'll disappear from your Google Desktop page, and you can enjoy the full search functionality of Desktop.

So after its done with the one time index, you can turn indexing off in the application if it is a concern. though it does only run when idle.

Edited by iamtheky

Ok so I tried disabling outlook addins to no effect, recreating the profile a second time, ran SFC, and re-installed office.

All to no effect..... and she's the only user this is happening to.....

OK, if Outlook is freezing, can you get a hang dump of outlook following these instructions and post a zipped copy of the resultant .dmp file somewhere for us to download and look at?

The problem with those are that they sit in the background eating up resources while they aren't being used, and requires the indexing service to be enabled which is not.

Lookeen needs not much ressources. WDS needs more! You can adjust the speed of the Lookeen-indexer so if your pc slows down while indexing you can use that feature.

But I understand your problem, you just want to get Outlook to work :)

Perhaps you should check your fire-wall/antivir if there is a conflict?

At least I'd reinstall office and hope that it will work.