Tunngle - The Gamers alternative to Hamachi.

Xplodzion

Hamachi has alot of problems on Vista and up, most games won't even work with it properly on those Operating Systems, so me and a friend searched for better way to make a VPN and we found it - Tunngle, with Hamachi we had to mess about with alot of network options to get it working right on Windows 7 and even after all that tweaking, there was a high chance that the game wouldn't work with it anyway, with Tunngle, I laughed at how easy it was compared to Hamachi, you just start the program, join a channel and then everyone who is in the same channel and see your server on their LAN or vice versa.

It's currently in German language only but the next release will have full English support, don't be swayed off by this if you are English, scroll down for a video tutorial of what to do if you don't understand German.

Main Site: http://www.tunngle.net/en/

Forum: http://www.tunngle.net/forum/

Download: http://www.tunngle.net/en/downloads/

So how do I get this working?

It's pretty simple, however if you have a problem with the installation (like something fails and you get a weird error during install), read the section below these usage instructions.

HERE'S a video tutorial but if you can't follow that, then there's some text instructions below.

1. Download Tunngle and install it, restart your PC if needed

2. Create an account HERE

3. Run Tunngle and login, Remember to use your USER PASSWORD on the login screen, account password will not work. The login process may take a while, for me it was instant but for my friend it took about a minute or two.

4. Once, you see the main screen, , click browser at the bottom left, double click a game of your choice and it will open that games chatroom, it can be any game - however people who want to play with you need to be on the same channel as you, once you're on the same channel as the people you want to play with, that's it, you can now make a lan server and people on that channel will be able to join it and vice versa.

5. Have fun. :)

OH NOES! Tunngle keeps giving me an error during install, what's wrong!?

There's an apparently rare bug with the latest version which causes a component to not install correctly, download the older version HERE, install it (it should install fine) and then install the newest over it (which should also install without problems now).

The game I want to play is not on the list...

It doesn't need to be, just join any channel, it's easier to find people if you join the same channel as the game you want to play though.

Please say thanks on their forum if you like it, spreading the word about Tunngle would be great too.

Tunngle VS. Hamachi

Tunngle vs Hamachi: Features comparison (and more Tunngle features are coming as version number increases!!)

Features --------------------------------------------------------- Hamachi----------------Tunngle

Network capacity limit ------------------------------------------ 16---------------------- 255

Works properly on Vista & W7 -------------------------------- No*-------------------- Yes

Integrated network browser ----------------------------------- No---------------------- Yes

Integrated network search ------------------------------------- No---------------------- Yes

Works with games ---------------------------------------------- Sometimes**--------- Always

Class C emulator ------------------------------------------------ No---------------------- Yes

Native secure protocol for file sharing ------------------------ No---------------------- Yes

Tight sharing access control ----------------------------------- No---------------------- Yes

See how many players are on network before joining ------- No---------------------- Yes

Advanced security ----------------------------------------------- Yes--------------------- Yes

Players in a network -------------------------------------------- Offline&Online--------- Online***

Friend system --------------------------------------------------- No----------------------- Yes

Global chat blacklist --------------------------------------------- No----------------------- Yes

Global banlist ---------------------------------------------------- Yes---------------------- Yes

Global messenger ----------------------------------------------- No----------------------- Yes

Game dedicated organization ---------------------------------- No----------------------- Yes

*No hamachi doesn't work properly on Vista. Why? Beacuse it doesn't send UDP broadcast to the network interface. This means that, although some games might still work, many just won't. Unless you download a particular fix, you won't see all the hosted games in the game browser when using Vista or Windows 7.

**Often after some hard work. Hamachi can really be a pain to set up. Tunngle isn't! And you can always count on a wonderful support from the Tunngle crew.

***Offline players do not steal places to the online players anymore. How many hamachi networks are dead or full of offline players?Tunngle actively solves this issue!

11184231.png

25/07/09 Updated with more accurate info

Edited by Xplodzion

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest nfljerseys

Excellent list! I've learned more from this forum in about 2 days than I have at any other forum community.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...