WinXP Setup from WinPE and the $OEM$ folders

I have a hunch that this isn't going to be strictly PE related. Validate your answer file in WSIM and see if it comes up clean.

Otherwise, when you post your answer file (unless you correct the problem) then I will move this thread to XP Unattend forum.

I found a solution. It seems that when you use the /makelocalsource option, it will not copy the files in X:\$OEM$, so when you reboot the machine and run it off the HD, the files are not there. I tried copying the $OEM$ files to the root of the HD, and that didn't work either. I discovered though, that in the root directory, there's a couple of very interesting directories:

$WIN_NT$.~BT

$WIN_NT$.~LS

Both directories have an $OEM$ sub directory. I tried BT first and that did not work. Not suprizing since that directory looks like a primordial \Windows directory. In the LS directory, it had two sub directories: The afore mentioned $OEM$ and I386. Looking at I386, it's the same as you would find on a Windows CD. I copied the $OEM$ files to the LS directory and the text mode installer saw the files and copied them correctly. Now everything seems to work just fine. I used the same unattneded.txt file that I was using when booting straight into the windows installer.

The command that I used:

XCOPY X:\$OEM$ C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$ /S /E /Q /Y

I have a hunch that this isn't going to be strictly PE related. Validate your answer file in WSIM and see if it comes up clean.

Otherwise, when you post your answer file (unless you correct the problem) then I will move this thread to XP Unattend forum.

You can if you want, but this issue came up because I was installing from WinPE.

PrepDisk.cmd

@ECHO OFF

diskpart /s "\Program Files\Misc\DiskPart.ini"
ECHO.
format c: /q /y /fs:ntfs /v:System

Install.cmd

@ECHO OFF

cd \WinXP\i386
WinNT32 /syspart:C: /s:X:\WinXP\i386 /unattended:X:\unattended.txt /makelocalsource /dudisable

DiskPart.ini

select disk 0
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
assign letter=C:

Edited by Tripredacus
moved, no copy