• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
monroe

Message From YouTube About IE 6 Browser [Solved]

168 posts in this topic

Apparently some sites have a huge vendetta against IE6/5/*insert older browser+version here* and force you to upgrade if you wish to even use their site. Speaking against 'older browsers' like it's ruining the world and is against all humanity (sounds like a religious cult). Yes, viewing their site with an older broser is indeed commiting murder on companies and other sites alike *facepalm*.

If you were in the web design business, you'd understand their rage. But they should never block anyone.

There are very little CSS and even less Javascript code that woudln't work on IE6.

You are horribly wrong. Compare CSS support and DOM support between IE6 and other web browsers. If we look at just the summary, IE6 gets 51% for CSS2.1, while Firefox 3 gets 93%, and Opera 9 gets 94%. For DOM support, IE6 gets 50%, Firefox 2 gets 79% (FX3 is unknown), and Opera 9 gets 84%.

Edited by BenoitRen

Apparently some sites have a huge vendetta against IE6/5/*insert older browser+version here* and force you to upgrade if you wish to even use their site. Speaking against 'older browsers' like it's ruining the world and is against all humanity (sounds like a religious cult). Yes, viewing their site with an older broser is indeed commiting murder on companies and other sites alike *facepalm*.

If you were in the web design business, you'd understand their rage. But they should never block anyone.

Oh, I do understand their rage as I've made many efforts to support even IE3/NS4 in a couple projects of mine (not easy at times) but alot of it is biased. However, nothing stops them from just dropping support, putting a 'friendly' notice like YT or disclaimer that it won't render properly, and continue on supporting whatever browser they wish.

From what I know, the only reason they got such a vendetta (the aformentioned group) was due to a flaw in realplayers' activex control which was exploited by FF11 gold seller sites. An IE was most likely scapegoat in that matter (ala activex).

I think you guys are missing the point of all this 'forced browser upgrade'. I doubt that youtube devs really care what version of browser you use but after a certain amout of time, it does not remain feasible to test on a browser used by such a certain percentage of users. At this point they are supporting (at least) IE7/8, Firefox 1-3.5(AFAIK), Chrome, Safari, Opera and minor offshoots of each.

ok lets split this up. according to W3*, 14.9%, of that 14.9%(which sound high to me but it doesnt say how many of that 14.9% is to getfirefox.com :) ) How many users actually care that they are running IE6? How many of them even know what a browser is? If you could somehow round up every single one, offer them a 5$ if they could name the browser and version currently installed on their PC (hell offer them 1$ if they can name *A* browser) My guess if youd prolly still be able to make rent this month. Yes, everyone in this thread would get their hypothetical Abe Lincoln but how many others would even know how to change their browsers User Agent String if they attended a week long seminar "What your browsers UA says about you". My point is that i dont think Youtube thinks that EVERYONE using IE6 is computer ignorant but they know that the vast majority of them are and therefore will not upgrade unless they are 'forced' however the people in this thread impacted by this change will simply hack their UA and workaround any glitches.

*Yes youtubes stats likely vary from w3 but its just a number for us to start with

... however the people in this thread impacted by this change will simply hack their UA and workaround any glitches.
That's my opinion too.

Incidentally, I do like best my hacked user agent that says "Netscape 4.0 on CP/M-86 1.1"... too bad YouTube disagrees. :P

Just for future reference on the subject of browser share

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

is a very worthwhile resource, as it serves as an aggregate of all major browser share reporters (including W3C). It also has historic (pre-1999) data, which is interesting.

Additionally, 15% user share being attributed to IE6 is massive; only Firefox 3.0 (not 3.5) and IE7 are higher for given major browser version. That said, some sources still place IE6 as the version with the highest user share (at 27%).

Queue

Edited by Queue

The Market Share browser versions trends is showing that IE7 usage has dropped faster than IE6 since May leaving IE6 as the most common browser!?

Go figure :wacko: (but I wouldn't take just one set of stats as final...)

This month, Internet Explorer 8 will be released to corporates (via Windows Server Update Services unless blocked), so I would expect IE8 usage to increase somewhat (albeit artificially induced).

Why don't you guys use Firefox 3.5 with KernelEx ?

It's faster and more comfortable than IE6 and it is still updated and therefore more secure.

I'm using it and it works just fine with Win 98 SE.

Please note that W3Schools is not affiliated with the W3C.

Y'all can quote me:

User: "Where's my Internet gone"?

Me: "Thou shall not use that blue thingy on yer desktop any more, use the orange thingy".

B)

GL

The thing that scares me the most about Firefox is - what will happen when the browser does have the vast majority market share? It's not the most secure codebase, and like anything else it'll become a target. What then? Do we send folks to Safari or Chrome until they get dominant and start showing security weaknesses? Do we go back to IE <insert latest version here>? Just a thought.

Are there any sites to see stats on which versions of each browser someone is using??

Would be neat........

Why don't you guys use Firefox 3.5 with KernelEx ?

It's faster and more comfortable than IE6 and it is still updated and therefore more secure.

I'm using it and it works just fine with Win 98 SE.

Well why don't you use Opera, which is a wonderful browser who natively suports all versions of Windows even in its superb and still beta tenth declination ? :whistle:

The thing that scares me the most about Firefox is - what will happen when the browser does have the vast majority market share? It's not the most secure codebase, and like anything else it'll become a target. What then? Do we send folks to Safari or Chrome until they get dominant and start showing security weaknesses? Do we go back to IE <insert latest version here>? Just a thought.

I think there is no secure browser. Even Opera is insecure considering it has been compromised twice on my machine since I started using it. In both cases code injection in the executable memory space and dumping of the image on disk in place of the original Opera I believe, and this through online exploits I have no clue what they were.

One of them was a viable Opera executable and Jetico intercepted it as its checksum had changed. The other was a newbie attempt it seems, leaving a screwed-up executable who would not run and which contained an Hello World string next to the name of a Code Project package dealing with direct code injection into executable memory space and whose name I have forgotten right now.

@ eidenk

I've been using Firefox since version 1.5 and I prefer to stick to my guns.

I tried Opera 9.64 and it didn't convince me at all. I prefer the variety of add-ons Firefox offers.

I like the possibility to customize my browser in a way that it has all the functions I need.

But the point is that whatever browser you use I think they all are better than IE6.

I still dont think its possible for FF* to overtake IE* any measurable amount of time. IE will always control a majority of the market since it it the most configurable with GPo and the like which will always make it the bigger target.

Oh and under no circumstances will i ever send a user to Safari. Ive seen how that company addresses security problems (by pretending their arent any problems) :rolleyes:

The thing that scares me the most about Firefox is - what will happen when the browser does have the vast majority market share? It's not the most secure codebase, and like anything else it'll become a target.

You seem to be assuming that a program with the most market share is insecure by default and should be avoided. This is not true. Look at Apache.

Besides, Firefox is already a target.

I still dont think its possible for FF* to overtake IE* any measurable amount of time. IE will always control a majority of the market since it it the most configurable with GPo and the like which will always make it the bigger target.

Firefox is so much more configurable than IE. And it's open source. I also doubt most home users are into customising every aspect of their gateway to the web.

Most of what you can configure in Firefox is gratuitous. At least the configuration options for IE (most of them found in Group Policy) actually do things to bolster security...

Albeit, a secure IE is most often a pain-in-the-butt to use IE, which is why I tend to use Opera nowadays.

how can I do the same thing ... block or spoof the user agent in IE 6.

I believe there's a registry tweak that can do that for IE6 but I don't know what it is. My preference is to let Proxomitron alter the headers. Proxomitron can modify the user agent string and most any other web content of anything that connects to the web through it.

post-118612-1248539962_thumb.png

I'm finding Proxomitron to be more and more useful. It can filter out or modify undesirable or troublesome web content, remove ads, filter out malicious code, and much more. It's a small, lightweight program that you unzip and use. It can be looked at as a rule based content filter. More info on Proxomitron is available at The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum.

I edited my user agent string to say

Duke Nukem; 3D; Get back to work, you slacker!

Websites think I run Mozilla 4.0 on an 'unknown platform' :rolleyes:

Edited by JustinStacey.x

Besides, Firefox is already a target.

Firefox is so much more configurable than IE. And it's open source. I also doubt most home users are into customising every aspect of their gateway to the web.

Sorry i wasnt too clear what i meant there. when i say "configurable with GPo" that has nothing to do with home users in my mind (yes i know about local GPo but that hardly counts) I use FF almost exclusively My home PCs & work PCs but on the PCs I manage, IE is MUCH easier to keep up to date and manage default settings with Group Policy Object received from the domain. So my point was IE* will always have a huge presence in the corporate environment which will make it hard for FF* to overtake IE* for any extended period. Now If someone could make a version of FF that could be configured with GPo, I might think about deploy it at work but until then, my users will have to install it themselves.

@ eidenk

I've been using Firefox since version 1.5 and I prefer to stick to my guns.

I tried Opera 9.64 and it didn't convince me at all. I prefer the variety of add-ons Firefox offers.

I like the possibility to customize my browser in a way that it has all the functions I need.

But the point is that whatever browser you use I think they all are better than IE6.

Each one his own I guess. I never liked Firefox but at some point I needed to replace my old IE 5.5 (I don't even have 6 installed) for going online as I was too fed-up with exploits (was still "covered" by MS security "fixes" at that time) so gave a go to Opera. Well it took me a good 3-4 days to get used to it and I have never looked back since or felt I needed to look for something else. Version 10 is superb. And btw just like Firefox it has add-ons called Opera widgets, I am not using any of those though.

Edited by eidenk

Most of what you can configure in Firefox is gratuitous.

You must not know about about:config.

Sorry i wasnt too clear what i meant there. when i say "configurable with GPo" that has nothing to do with home users in my mind (yes i know about local GPo but that hardly counts) I use FF almost exclusively My home PCs & work PCs but on the PCs I manage, IE is MUCH easier to keep up to date and manage default settings with Group Policy Object received from the domain.

Ah, yes. That's one area that Firefox can improve in. There were some tools available for Mozilla (the suite), though.

wow i swear im not looking for these articles. they keep finding me. apparently this movement is picking up steam.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/913...et_switch_pitch

The anti-IE6 move followed reports last month that Google's YouTube was doing the same, that Digg would soon curtail support for the ancient browser and a petition on Twitter collected nearly 10,000 signatures supporting the effort. Facebook has been prompting IE6 users to swap out their browsers since February 2009.

There are very little CSS and even less Javascript code that woudln't work on IE6.
You are horribly wrong. Compare CSS support and DOM support between IE6 and other web browsers. If we look at just the summary, IE6 gets 51% for CSS2.1, while Firefox 3 gets 93%, and Opera 9 gets 94%. For DOM support, IE6 gets 50%, Firefox 2 gets 79% (FX3 is unknown), and Opera 9 gets 84%.

I was talking about IE6 vs IE7/8.

Codes uncompatible with IE7 or above have little use and and are largely unused, sometimes unkown. As the difference in compatibility between IE6 and IE7 is minimal, no one is stupid or ignorant for using IE6.

There is a 99% probability that a website would work reasonably well on IE6. The only reason they want want more "interactive" stuffs is advertising. Save for advertisements, the creation of a website is very simple.

The anti-IE6 move followed reports last month that Google's YouTube was doing the same, that Digg would soon curtail support for the ancient browser and a petition on Twitter collected nearly 10,000 signatures supporting the effort. Facebook has been prompting IE6 users to swap out their browsers since February 2009.

It doesn't take 50% more coding time to support IE6. Just simplify the way you desing webpages.

Posting a comment on a blog is an activity that exists for more than 10 years. Why does it has to be all of a sudden not possible on IE6?

Not saying IE6 is the best browser or that poeple shouldn't upgrade, but lot of hubbub is being told about it IMO.

Edited by Fredledingue

Slightly offtopic: I actually recently upgraded from Opera to Seamonkey. Although Seamonkey is dog slow at rendering pages compared to Opera, it doesn't suffer the numerous bugs (flash ads on pages invisibly moving when the page is scrolled so when you click somewhere inside that page (i.e., a text box) you actually click on the 'invisible' flash ad and get redirected somewhere; the 'save as' dialogue box not coming up after right clicking to save an item and the random lockups to 100% cpu uage) and reminds me of the old netscape 6 which is cool. What also makes me laugh about Opera, the browser with a supposed light footprint, was the memory usage totalling almost a GIGABYTE after around 3 weeks of being left open on my computer. Further to that it took 5 minutes of hard drive churning to shut the program down. I run plenty of other programs for that length of time that don't leak so much memory, so why should Opera? IE 7 and 8 are just as bad... but IE 6 is really too old to be of much use nowadays... sites are quickly becoming incompatible with it and tbh from the get go it's always been a bit weird although I do like how it resembles the earlier IE versions of the 90s.

If anyone is sick to their back teeth of the memory usages of many modern browsers I urge you all to try Seamonkey... furthermore, with the Quicklaunch feature turned on it can be launched quicker than any other browser I tried, and that's out of Opera, IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox - it beats them all. Seamonkey is basically Netscape of the 21st century, btw.