Well, a simple solution was found and my computer now says I have Windows 98 with IE 6 at the test web sites or if I need it to say Windows 98 for some reason. I have Proxomitron on my computer for web filtering ... I use the Sidki Filter Set and just go with whatever he has in the set. After a lot of help from dencorso and the User Agent downloads he has provided ... I was ready to call it a night and then I thought about Proxomitron and maybe checking the "Bypass" mode and then test at those web sites. There it was .... Windows 98 and IE 6 ...
Site 01 ....
Browser IE 6.0 ->Detail
run on Windows 98
Compare to other services:
UA profiler IE 6.0
Browser Capabilities Project IE 6.0 run on Win98
UserAgentString.com Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0 run on Windows 98
WURFL Palm run on Palm OS
Site 02 ...
This is the identification string sent by the browser to the server:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; FDM)
From this string the following informations were extracted:
browser_name_regex: ^mozilla/4\.0 (compatible; msie 6\.0; .*windows 98.*).*$
browser_name_pattern: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; *Windows 98*)*
parent: IE 6.0
So the very first User Agent download set supplied by dencorso in July 2009 should work for everything. I have tried it today ... just have to remember to check Bypass in Proxomitron if you might be using the Sidki Filter Set. I have no idea if the "default" set by Scott Lemon would also change the OS id at a web site. We got a real good Super Moderator here, dencorso, for helping forum people out. He went more than an extra mile!
*** dencorso has since informed me that the 2nd User Agent update in Post # 148 is the better one to use.
This post has been edited by duffy98: 14 November 2009 - 12:35 AM