Photoshop re-install

Dan Oliphant

After migrating my files from an older desktop PC that used XP home addition to a new HP laptop that uses Vista Home premium 64 bit some of my program files ended up in a program file x86, while trying to clean up some of the redundant files, I deleated my Adobe folder rather than the redundant Adobe files. When I try to reinstall Adobe Photoshop CS3 (legal version) the disk is read, a popup window opens for the install, then when continue is clicked the window goes away and nothing else happens.

Vista will do the same thing when hp auto updates are identified, click on update link, window asking for Admin password opens, after typing password and clicking continue, it just goes away to come back in an hour or so.

Vista has also started to not allow me to uninstall unwanted programs. This just started in the last few days. When logged on as Admin. I still get the admin log on pop up window, but it will simply close when I type my password and click continue.

Is this some of the Vista bugs folks talk about, and is there any solution to the above mentioned problems?

Thanks for any help received

DanO

I assume the Adobe Folder you deleted is not still in the Recycle bin? If it is, you can get it back.

Assuming it is not, can you do a system restore to back before you did the delete, that would be the best solution.

As you have deleted a folder without uninstalling the program, can you go to PROGRAMS & FEATURES and see if the Adobe CS3 is still there as a program and try uninstalling? It may give you an option to fix the registry errors.

With HP Auto Updates, you need the HP Total Care Advisor open and this will give you the permissions correctly for the install. If that is not active in the tray, then the updates fail.

The problems you are seeing are NOT Vista bugs!

some of my program files ended up in a program file x86, while trying to clean up some of the redundant files, I deleated my Adobe folder rather than the redundant Adobe files.

What redundant files?

When I try to reinstall Adobe Photoshop CS3 (legal version) the disk is read, a popup window opens for the install, then when continue is clicked the window goes away and nothing else happens.

Sounds like the installer crashes due to your damaged install. Have a look at the log file created by the installer.

Vista will do the same thing when hp auto updates are identified, click on update link, window asking for Admin password opens, after typing password and clicking continue, it just goes away to come back in an hour or so.

Not having a HP computer, it's hard to say what goes on here. Very well could be a bug in HP's software...

Vista has also started to not allow me to uninstall unwanted programs.

Like what? Did you also delete more files that seemed redundant? (Could have been system files required, like the uninstallers for these)

Is this some of the Vista bugs folks talk about, and is there any solution to the above mentioned problems?

I've never encountered any of these so far with Vista, or heard of someone with those problems either...