Dead USB Stick after running WinSetupFromUSB

I've got a problem. I ran your program on a 2 GB Gizmo USB stick to install XP MCE on it and after it was done it said something about running the text and GIU twice but I have no idea what that is and now the USB stick will show up under drives in the device manager but will not show any free space or populate a volume. What happened? My USB stick is dead.

Cruical Gizmo 2GB USB Stick. Had it for several years and has worked fine. I had set this up before with <removed> and worked fine.

Ran the Win Setup From USB tool and everything seemed to work ok, it asked me to format with NTFS and I did so. Asked me at the end to reboot and run through the text setup and GUI setup. But the USB stick disapeared and in it's place when I plug it in and out is "USBest USB2FLASHStorage USB Device" in the device manager with the letter "J". When I click on "J" it wants me to insert a disk. What can I do to fix this? I tried to load the MBR from the backup with the HDhacker tool but it errors in the status bar with "immpossible to write to disk" or something like that. Thanks for your help.

Edited by gamehead200
Violation of rule 1.a.

Cruical Gizmo 2GB USB Stick. Had it for several years and has worked fine. I had set this up before with <removed> and worked fine.

Ran the Win Setup From USB tool and everything seemed to work ok, it asked me to format with NTFS and I did so. Asked me at the end to reboot and run through the text setup and GUI setup. But the USB stick disapeared and in it's place when I plug it in and out is "USBest USB2FLASHStorage USB Device" in the device manager with the letter "J". When I click on "J" it wants me to insert a disk. What can I do to fix this? I tried to load the MBR from the backup with the HDhacker tool but it errors in the status bar with "immpossible to write to disk" or something like that. Thanks for your help.

try formatting flash drive with HP USB disc format tool :)

Edited by CoffeeFiend
if the initial post gets edited, why not edit the quoted parts? ;)

Three wrong things in a ROW :w00t::

1. using WAREZ
  2. putting the blame on WinSetupfromUSB
  3. assuming drive to be dead

The device may have:

• simply died after "several" years
  • been detected wrongly by Windows but not being dead

Usual things to try, AFTER checking that the stick behaves the same on another computer to which it was NEVER connected before AND that the HP formatting tool or one of the apps listed here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...87993&st=17

:

• try running Chipgenius against it
  • if it doesn't detect the VID/PID numbers, check to find them in the Registry
  • get (if available) the Manufacturer's Tools for the specific device
  • try diagnosing/fixing/resetting the stick

jaclaz

P.S. actually 4 things, counting double posting:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...0444&st=581

Edited by jaclaz

I've got a problem. I ran your program on a 2 GB Gizmo USB stick to install XP MCE on it and after it was done it said something about running the text and GIU twice but I have no idea what that is and now the USB stick will show up under drives in the device manager but will not show any free space or populate a volume. What happened? My USB stick is dead.

Please do refrain from double posting.

Discussion continues here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=136394

jaclaz

Ok, sorry for double posting but didn't think I would get any help on the other posting as it was 30+ pages deep.

I wasn't blaming anyone for the "Dead" USB stick. The stick was working fine yesterday before I tried to install XP on it.

I used it on another PC and it shows up like it should with the correct file structure for XP after running the WinSetupFromUSB.

When I boot to it this comes up on the screen.

"No grldr"

One other thing I have to figure out is why "this" pc doesn't see it anymore and it won't boot to it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ok, sorry for double posting but didn't think I would get any help on the other posting as it was 30+ pages deep.

No prob. :)

I wasn't blaming anyone for the "Dead" USB stick. The stick was working fine yesterday before I tried to install XP on it.

I used it on another PC and it shows up like it should with the correct file structure for XP after running the WinSetupFromUSB.

When I boot to it this comes up on the screen.

"No grldr"

So, the stick is alive and well (almost).

the "No grldr" is a message meaning ;) that the grldr.mbr can not find in ANY partition on the stick (hidden or non-hidden) the file grldr in either:

• ROOT
  • /boot/
  • /boot/grub/

try adding to the root of the stick the file grldr from grub4dos latest:

http://nufans.net/grub4dos/

http://download.gna.org/grub4dos/

One other thing I have to figure out is why "this" pc doesn't see it anymore and it won't boot to it.

Yep, that would be interesting.

What I would do at this point, if copying grldr does not change situation:

jaclaz

Jaclaz,

Thanks for all your help. For some reason my original manlytrash account was banned. I'm not sure why other than the accidental double posting and sent a help request to the admins. Something happened to my home pc that may be causing all the issues and I'm sorry for cluttering up this forum with my problems. I wish you well.

manlytrash

Jaclaz,

Thanks for all your help. For some reason my original manlytrash account was banned. I'm not sure why other than the accidental double posting and sent a help request to the admins. Something happened to my home pc that may be causing all the issues and I'm sorry for cluttering up this forum with my problems. I wish you well.

manlytrash

Hey, wait a minute, you were very kind to re-register only to thank me :), but you seem like wanting to give up. :w00t:

Giving up is NOT an option! ;)

jaclaz

jaclaz,

It just really threw me for a loop that I got banned and wanted to make sure you knew your help was appreciated. I never take anyone's free time for granted when it comes to helping us noobs figure out computers.

I can tell that I unpluged the Antec card reader from my motherboard and if I plug the USB stick in the back of the WinFast 939 MB it will see the drive but the partion is currupt and unreadable. If I plug it in to the front side USB it shows up as stated in the first posting. Still looks ok on other pc's. I'm still gonna say that it was the above mention software that threw it over the edge. But my home pc was acting weird before that becasue of all the software I have installed on it. When I get home I'll format from the back USB and try again to see what happens.

Also, thanks for pushing me not to give up!

manlytrash

Edit : I see what and why I was banned but the reason doesn't make sense to me as I got the software from this site posted by a senior member.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=120444

Is there anyway to contact the admin that banned me?

Edited by 0manlytrash0

That's quite typical of a problem in the Registry.

(Connecting the device to a USB connector on another BUS making the USB device seen differently)

About you havig been banned, I guess it was because of the reference to what in your first post has been edited as <removed>.

Try PMing either cluberti or xper:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=St...mp;CODE=leaders

jaclaz

jaclaz,

Ya, it's my pc. USB stick is fine now. Will try getting it to work when I have some more free time.

As for the banning part, don't know if I want to waste my time with admin's that ban people for singular words. Make's me feel like I have to watch every word I type or I might be banned. I normally don't post to this site but have used this site allot in the past to make a All in One DVD with 2K, XP and Server 20o3. This site helped alot with that and the guys at work love it.

Take care.

manlytrash