Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How do I Reinstall Vista Ultimate without it adding the Windows old Fi

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

jwesley44

jwesley44

• 22 posts
  • Joined 01-December 05
I switched from the 64 bit to the 32 bit vista ultimate . I have reinstalled the 32 OS a second time and now I have 2 Windows Old files . I have done a lot of research about how to delete these folders until I'm blue in the Face . I have tried every suggestion ,Disk cleanup works but only the most recent or current Windows Old file , taking ownership , changing Permissions , becoming the real administrator all that . That's not all . Same issue , I have many Empty folders in my Favorites that can not be deleted because , it says the files can not be found .
I have Backed up my backed up backup files , so reinstalling Vista is a breeze and I don't mind and will continue to keep reinstalling it until i understand and get it set up the way it should be .
I keep trying to get all the correct drivers installed but to do that i have to disable Windows Update so it will not install older drivers I don't want .
I think all my problems with this PC are Compatible issues .Like the Motherboard A8N SLI Deluxe ,
AMD Athlon™ 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 4400 + 2,21 GHz
The GTX 260 Graphics card is also questionable about Compatibility

My Question is .

How do I reinstall Vista Ultimate without it Creating the Windows Old Files in the first place ?

Given the Information above and considering all my hardware isn't Compatible , what newer motherboard and or processor would you guys recommend that i upgrade too ? keeping in mind that someday i will buy Windows 7 OS . I don't really want to buy another graphics card .

Thanks in advance for the help and advice , John
ASUS SOCKET 939 A8NSLI DELUXE
AMD ATHLON X2 64 DUEL-CORE 4400 + 2.21 GHz 2 GB RAM
Maxtor Sata Hard Drive x Two 250 GB and 1 TB
Rocketfish 700 W Power Supply
GTX GForce 260 GPU
Hauppauge Win TV HVR - 1800
Creative SoundBlaster SE. 7.1 Model # SBO570
Vista Ultimate 64 BIT OS

Favorite Saying : If it's not broke , Fix it till it is !

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04
format the partition during install

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

John305

John305

Junior

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 26-April 09
Yes Formatting the drive is the way but also that will remove any files on the drive and programs. Make sure everything you need is off that drive.

Hammey

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,253 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
Windows.old can also be removed safely once the installation is complete, it's no longer used. See KB 933212 for instructions.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

ajua

ajua

Custom Installer Maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • Joined 16-April 05
You can boot with with BartPE or another WinPE-based disc and try to delete them from there.

A clean install is always recommended, but having backups for verything is a must.

Edited by ajua, 28 July 2009 - 08:18 PM.

Custom Installers for your unattended needs.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,253 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=136510
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

perpetuations

perpetuations
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09
the old files can be delete directly

netizen

netizen
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 20-September 08

Windows.old can also be removed safely once the installation is complete, it's no longer used. See KB 933212 for instructions.

Thanks a lot for your link, today I deleted all of my .old windows files, it's about 25G, lot of space saved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users