Latest IE6 (SP1) Security Update for Win 9x/ME

Dave-H

Heads up, friends! :)

WildBill's unofficial KB2360131 went v3, and now it contains an updated version of MSHTMLED.DLL, based on 6.0.2800.1501/1502 (which, as WildBill found out, is a rare case of GDR and QFE files being essentialy identical, except for the date of compilation, version number and checksum), and hence his MSHTMLED.DLL v. 6.0.2800.1503 should be satisfactory for everybody. It does work OK, I'm using it since v3 was released. WildBill rocks! :thumbup

Heads up, friends! :)

WildBill's unofficial KB2360131 went v3, and now it contains an updated version of MSHTMLED.DLL, based on 6.0.2800.1501/1502 (which, as WildBill found out, is a rare case of GDR and QFE files being essentialy identical, except for the date of compilation, version number and checksum), and hence his MSHTMLED.DLL v. 6.0.2800.1503 should be satisfactory for everybody. It does work OK, I'm using it since v3 was released. WildBill rocks! :thumbup

Thanks for the heads up Den.

Working fine here too!

:thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My PC just received a Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 (KB2360131). (Just received it, though the publicaiton date is October 12.)

This was on an XP machine. The Microsoft page for the update states that this is for Windows XP systems, and the Windows Update page for Windows 98 doesn't list this update. However, as we know, many things that officially work only on a more recent OS, also work unofficially on older OS's.

Has anybody tried to install and run this update to IE6 on a Windows 98 (FE) PC? Let's just say, I'd rather not be the first to try this and discover that it screws up the system royally or something...

A forum search revealed this unofficial update by WildBill. Would I simply download and install it, or is there some preliminary updating or prep work that needs to be done?

Happy New Year to all.

--JorgeA

@JorgeA: Read the last few post in the royally misnamed thread Latest MS IE6 Security Update Breaks Windows 98?, and you'll see that WildBill's IE6SP1 updates do work with 9x/ME. MDGx keeps his unofficial updates page up-to-date, too, so you can peruse the latest updates here, or use this direct download link I2360131 to get the most recent unnoficial update for 9x/ME, at the moment.

@all: BTW, the name of the thread Latest MS IE6 Security Update Breaks Windows 98? made sense when it was originally posted but, since then, it became the place to discuss all successive new updates that followed the original problematic one, so I think renaming the thread is in order, but I'd like to have suggestions as to how should it be renamed, please.

MS10-090 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer [01-02-2011]

Windows2000-KB2416400-x86-ENU.exe

Thank you problemchyld. Looks like an even newer update, judging from the KB number. Can we trust that it will work on Win98?

--JorgeA

@JorgeA: Read the last few post in the royally misnamed thread Latest MS IE6 Security Update Breaks Windows 98?, and you'll see that WildBill's IE6SP1 updates do work with 9x/ME. MDGx keeps his unofficial updates page up-to-date, too, so you can peruse the latest updates here, or use this direct download link I2360131 to get the most recent unnoficial update for 9x/ME, at the moment.

dencorso,

Thank you, I did come across that. But I'm wondering whether one can install WildBill's version by itself, or if some kind of prior groundwork is needed (like installing other updates first, or performing OS tweaks/patches).

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

JorgeA:

MDGx told me recently that WildBill's installer works also for 9x/ME as it is, without any changes.

I didn't test it myself, though... I installed his files by hand when I performed my latest update, so confirmation is in order.

But I'm pretty sure MDGx must be right about it.

Changing subjects a little: I'd much like to merge this thread with the newly renamed older thread by Dave-H I just pointed you to, some posts above...

Would you agree to it?

Done!

In any case, just a word of caution: WildBill's patches intended for IE6SP1 should work OK.

All his other patches may cause problems to Win 9x/ME and should be regarded as Win 2k only, in principle.

This is in line with what we'd been doing before, while the official patches still were issued by MS.

Any special cases must be explicitly dealt with on a case by case basis.

MS10-090 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer [01-02-2011]

Windows2000-KB2416400-x86-ENU.exe

Thank you problemchyld. Looks like an even newer update, judging from the KB number. Can we trust that it will work on Win98?

--JorgeA

Yeah you are certainly welcome. I try to beware of all the latest updates. Its great that we all have good communication.

I missed the new thread that was merged into the older (mistitled) long IE 6 thread and I really like the new title. Good job dencorso! :thumbup

I wasn't aware that WildBill finished his Win2000 KB2416400 update. It appears that SHLWAPI.DLL, MSHTML.DLL, and MSTIME.DLL are the 3 files that have been updated since his previous KB2360131 IE 6 update. And even though you specifically mentioned it dencorso, I didn't realize that WildBill updated MSHTMLED.DLL to yet a newer version in v.3 of that update. I thought he just updated it to that later version that Dave-H and I already had vs. his earlier release of the update.

Edited by Prozactive