Explorer.exe crash

sniffy45

Anyone know how to resolve this? I can find nothing on it anywhere. explorer crashes everytime I open it.

Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e01da5, faulting module msshsq.dll, version 7.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03780, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00014cbe, process id 0xad0, application start time 0x01ca12cf404d7d8d.

Well, that's one possibility. However, if it's the same .dll file every time, and always 0xc0000005, then I would think it's more likely an Explorer shell extension or add-on causing it.

yep, same everytime...checked RAM and no problems,,Also this is explorer not IE.. so if I open my computer, go to c drive and type anything in the search window I get a pop up Explorer restart or search online for a solution. In the event viewer what I see is my original post error message. msshsq.dll fault etc...

Edited by sniffy45

Also this is explorer not IE..
Explorer.exe allows shell extensions too - run ShellExView from NirSoft to see what I mean.

Anyway, the only three instances I've ever seen where the search shell extension (msshsq.dll) cause issues was first on Vista RTM machines with GDI leaks due to explorer shell extensions, malware, and corrupted system restore files. The second is an easy fix - disable system restore, run chkdsk on all hard disks in the machine, and then re-enable system restore. The former is harder to track down, and in general disabling any shell extension you aren't absolutely going to use (by using NirSoft's ShellExView) generally fixes those problems, along with installing the latest service pack (which has specific fixes in it for GDI issues on Vista RTM). As to malware, well, that's a different section of the forums entirely.

__***SOLVED***___

I happen to have a backup image (Acronis) and simply restored Explorer.exe under c:\windows\ AND msshsq.dll under c:\windows\system32 and whala. These were the two files in my first post error message. I imagine you could copy these files from any vista machine and it would work. Just make sure its the same version and service pack as yours. Dont know if this is virus related but McAfee didnt catch anything. I just switched from Norton corp edition because something kept shutting down my realtime scanner on that so I tried McAfee. I guess they all have their weaknesses.

Exeption Code errors ar caused by RAM

try Memtest http://www.memtest.org/ or you can use hiren's boot cd or something to test RAM

well not always from ram but i would check your addons/extensions as i would look at that first as explorer is picky on certain addons/extensions so use process explorer and see the dll's being loaded into explorer and if there is something suspicious looking then that could be the problem.