Win 7, 3GB memory installed usable 2GB, Why?

tigerbot

Hi, I am new to this forum. I tried to search for the answer on this one, but i did not find it. So please, don't stone me it this has been answered before. :-)

My friends computer is running Windows 7 32 Bit on an EVGA X58 Mobo, with the I7 920, OCZ 3GB of 1333 DDR3 and a 9800 GTX 512MB VC. In the OS it shows 3GB of memory installed and only 2GB usable. I have not been able to find a reason or a solution. I was told that the video card might be messing with the usable amount and tricking the OS to think that there is more than 4GB.

I do not think that is correct because I have a DX58SO mobo, a I7 920, OCZ 3GB 1600 DDR3 and an EVGA GTX 285 2GB VC. My system shows 3GB Total and usable and I am also running 32 Bit Windows 7.

Does anyone know how i can fix my friends computer and have it see the full 3GB in triple channel. She cannot go to a 64 Bit OS b/c she has programs that do not support it. Thanks !!!!

Probably reserved by hardware. If you're running RC1 or the RTM, run resmon and click the "Memory" tab to see where it's all going. Also, what apps does she have specifically that won't run in x64 under WOW64 emulation?

For the most part it Pro tools and other music production software. I think she is going to get into video editing also, and there is some program that they told her would not run in 64 bit.

Once i run resmon, what am i looking for.?

Look at the memory tab - how much is used for each type? If it's being reserved by hardware, resmon should tell you so. For instance:

resmon.png

You can see my machine has reserved ~81MB for hardware.

For the most part it Pro tools and other music production software. I think she is going to get into video editing also, and there is some program that they told her would not run in 64 bit.
If her copy of Pro Tools is a version tied to hardware (like the M-Powered versions) then no, it will not work in any 64-bit Windows. It has to do with the way Digidesign programmed their hardware communication (ie, very poorly); it seems they're "working" on it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm pretty sure the dongled versions of other [now] Avid software has the same issue. (All my Pro Tools and various Avid video editor experience is with Macs, and even there certain versions will outright refuse to run on certain OS revisions.)

Otherwise, baring bad programming practices, anything that runs on Windows 7 32-bit will run on Windows 7 64-bit via WOW64; unless the program goes out of it's way, it can't even tell it's not running on a regular 32-bit OS.