Setup can't load AHCIx86.inf

Pazzi

Hello,

The last few days I've been trying to create a Windows XP pro installation disc with SP3 and the drivers for my RAID controller (ATI SB600) integrated. I'm using nLite 1.4.9.1. The creation of the iso file and burning the CD goes without any problems. The service pack is integrated and the driver file (ACHIX86.INF) is added, according to nLite.

The problems start when I try to install Windows with this new CD. Setup returns the error message that it can't locate any hard drives in the system... This means the RAID driver isn't loaded. So I shut down, connected a floppy drive and inserted the floppy disc containing the RAID drivers (the old-fashioned way :) ). This time I used F6 to load the drivers. Setup did find a hard drive and continued it's proces. Great, problem solved (although I started this in the first place to get rid of the floppy drive)! I was wrong...

After the screen where you have to choose the drive you want to install Windows on, a new screens opens. This one says "Setup is checking drive C:" and "Generating list with files to copy". At this moment, setup accesses the floppy drive (the led lites up) and the following error is presented: "Setup could not open ACHIx86.inf. Enter to retry, ESC to skip, F3 to exit setup". There is nothing else to do than exit.

So my first idea was: bad sector on the floppy disc, creating a read error. So I gave the floppy a format and used the AMD tool to create a new disc. Started setup again but it didn't work, same errors.

Next I tried my old XP setup CD with service pack 1, created without nLite. This time the drivers were correctly read from the floppy drive and setup could continue installing Windows without a problem.

My question is: wy doesn't Setup load the RAID driver? Did I do something wrong while adding the driver in nLite? I read something about "textmode" drivers for Intel, does this have anything to do with it? On the nLite CD, I found that the drivers are located in \I386\NLDRV. Is this where they should be?

The strangest thing about it all: a few months ago I made a CD in exactly the same way and there was no problem at all. If I only hadn't lost the **** thing...

Hopefully someone can give a hint towards a solution. :)

@ Pazzi:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

My question is: wy doesn't Setup load the RAID driver? Did I do something wrong while adding the driver in nLite? I read something about "textmode" drivers for Intel, does this have anything to do with it? On the nLite CD, I found that the drivers are located in \I386\NLDRV. Is this where they should be?
Yes, but nevertheless you did something wrong while integrating the ATI SB600 textmode driver.

Did you get the textmode driver popup window? If yes, which Controller did you enable?

The message "Setup cannot load AHCIx86.inf" is quite normal, if you have chosen the "Unattended Install" option and then trying to load th textmode driver via F6. This doesn't work. If Windows Setup detects a WINNT.SIF file within the i386 directory, it expects, that all needed textmode drivers are integrated intio the CD. It loads the driver from the floppy disk after using the F6 option, but then it forgets the path.

Thanks for the welcome and your reply. :)

You ask if I added the textmode driver: I believe I did not. I downloaded the driver package from the AMD website. It contains, among others, the following folders. The ones listed below are the ones I added in nLite:

\Driver\x86_x64\X86_xp\ahcix86.cat

\Driver\x86_x64\X86_xp\ahcix86.inf

\Driver\x86_x64\X86_xp\ahcix86.sys

In nLite I added the "ahcix86.inf".

I read a manual about adding Intel drivers. In this manual they said that an option to choose between textmode and pnp drivers should come up in nLite. Since this didn't happen, I assumed it was a Intel-bases issue only and that what I did was right. Apparently not...

I guess that I have to go and find the textmode drivers. I already found out that the file "oemsetup.txt" is important. Should this be in the same package? I didn't find them in the one I downloaded...

I guess that I have to go and find the textmode drivers. I already found out that the file "oemsetup.txt" is important. Should this be in the same package? I didn't find them in the one I downloaded...
Take this driver I have prepared for ATI SB6xx and SB7xx chipsets:

32bit_ATI_AHCI_RAID_driver_for_XP_mod_by_Fernando.zip

Integrate it as textmode driver by using nLite.

That will work for you.

Good luck!

Fernando

I created a brand new installation CD, this time with textmode drivers and everything works perfectly! Thanks again! :)

Now I'm going to do some reading about integrating software, never knew you could do so much with nLite...

• 8 months later...
Take this driver I have prepared for ATI SB6xx and SB7xx chipsets:

32bit_ATI_AHCI_RAID_driver_for_XP_mod_by_Fernando.zip

Integrate it as textmode driver by using nLite.

That will work for you.

Good luck!

Fernando

@Fernando 1:

I joined the forums to try your fix - and I have to say, without a doubt, you are a godsend.

I have just spent the last four hours trying to get Windows XP to install on a GA-770TA-UD3 w/ AMD 630 and with no luck.

Your drivers not only did the trick, but better yet, Windows isn't laughing at me anymore now.

Outstanding job, Fernando.

Edited by tynbaez