Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Adding custom desktop programs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

syztemlord

syztemlord
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-August 09
I'd like to add a couple of exe programs to the desktop automatically with the install (there is no install for the programs, I'd just like them copied). Is there a way to add them to the Windows ISO to enable this?

Any help would be gratefully recieved!!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dechy

Dechy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 25-February 08
- Install Windows 7 "normally"
- Copy install.wim from the Windows 7 media somewhere on the HD (if it's already on a USB stick/HD then you can skip this part)
- Run cmd as an administrator
- Create a folder for temporary offline modification (I just call mine OFFLINE)
- Run the following: dism /mount-wim /wimfile:[path to install.wim] /index:[index of your image inside the .wim file] /mountdir:[path to offline folder]
- Use Windows Explorer to copy your executables whereever you want under the OFFLINE folder (in your case, [path to offline folder]\users\default\desktop)
- Run the following: dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:[path to offline folder] /commit
- Burn/copy the modified install.wim back to the bootable installation media under the sources folder

I'm not 100% sure that this will work, as anything to do with the Default user folder is a hit or miss in my case, but for ANY other folder in the offline modification portion, I can copy absolutely anything and it will be there on next install.

Edited by Dechy, 13 August 2009 - 08:08 AM.

werther666

werther666
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 20-July 06
isn't there a way to copy files like the $OEM folder in xp?

Dechy

Dechy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 25-February 08
Yep, you can still use $OEM$ folder just fine ( http://technet.micro...265(WS.10).aspx ), it's just that it's all considered legacy now.

I've used the $OEM$ method for YEARS with XP, but never really like it... it ended up being pretty darn messy on the mdeium/distribution share.

I'm really starting to get the hang of offline image modifications/DISM/WSIM and I really don't see why I'd go back to using legacy stuff anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users