PC lag

dmjalz

A lagging PC could be caused by many things. If it tends to lag when you go on youtube or play games, my bet is on the processor. They are both rather processor-intensive activities.

Depending on the parts he has, his video card or the amount of system memory could equally be responsible.

It's simply because it is a very old pc...

512 megs max ram?

What OS are you using?

Check the thread title. :D

I'd like to ask the original topic poster to post his system specs, such as RAM, processor (and speed) and video card.

Oops I must have not had my glasses on...

From his other threads, it looks like he's using an old P3-era Celeron with 384MB RAM, a GeForce 2 MX 400, and a DVD drive that won't read DVDs anymore... Need I say more?

Processor will definitely be the problem for youtube then. Graphics card, processor and RAM are equally responsible for poor gaming performance and any kind of lag.

No offence or anything, but isn't it a bit obvious why your system is running slowly?

Considering the Intel Atom netbooks with the lowly Intel video can hardly run Youtube videos, it's not surprising this guy's box lags on video especially - that GeForce MX has about as much guts as a disemboweled zombie.

As to the "anytime" lag comment, we'd need to know more. If the box is slow to bring up things like the start menu, or open apps, etc - then we'll need to really know more about what's going on. If the problems are limited to games and videos, this would not be a surprise. A decent graphics card and bumping the RAM to ~512MB or more should fix that.

New processor (and video card for games) would solve this. However, any newer CPU won't fit on that ancient socket 370 board. And that DVD drive you have needs replacing too.

And if you go for anything modern (as in new parts or recent stuff) then the RAM definitely won't work, the old power supply won't either and so on (basically you'd have to buy a whole new PC). Around here you can easily find 2nd hand PCs (old P4's) that run circles around this one for free...

You're very much overdue for a big upgrade.

If that puts it in perspective, that particular CPU you have scores 173 in the passmark test. There are CPUs out who score over 8000 on this test. There are basic $50 CPUs that score 1500 and over.