Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate x86/64 "not-so extreme" Removal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
thought i might as well do a separate guide for this one too :P

tools required: ImageX from WAIK for Vista sp1/server 2008 (do not use WAIK 7), install wim tweak (credit to BM wnuku) , vlite 1.2, my batch file

x86
x86 guide is now updated (24/10/09)

http://www.4shared.c...8/x86guide.html

updated batch file (17/11/09): this should be final??? :P

x64
x64 guide finally up in pdf format!

http://www.4shared.c...2/x64guide.html

updated batch file (29/10/09): as there doesn't seem to be many errors reported, i guess this is the final version for x64 removal! :thumbup
use the above guide but the batch files from the attachment!

Server R2 Enterprise

removed as working on a new batch? will be removing more dotnet files & wlan/printer support is enabled! i could get the wim to under 700mb if printer & wlan removed

new batch (05/12/09): with this I was able to get the install to under 2gb without pagefile & keeping printer support. wlan was removed by vlite so you can keep it if you wish.

http://www.4shared.com/file/166240970/9ef9.../server64e.html

optional for server r2: if you slipstream the following updates KB973525, KB974332, KB974431, KB974455, KB974571, KB975364, KB975467, KB976098 & KB976749 via te /add-package command, then apply this removal batch to clear the old files. ive also included the add-package batch file which you will need to edit to point to the correct file location for the update/msu files. i recommend you rename the update files by their kb article name?

wmp12 x64 removal for server: this removes most of wmp x64 from server but but retains some x64 compatibility. (this is for a fresh copy without any updates)

ps in all my batch files, there is no recovery option so be aware

Update (06/04/10)
this is the final release, i hope, of my removal guides! I tried to remove as much as i can without losing too much functionality! Media center is still a no go so i would advise to try Liquid's guide. of course, you are more than welcome to edit the files for your needs. to some peeps though, who have taken the files and then posted on other sites as their own, a big F-U! it took a lot of time and testing to make these files so please give credit to wheres its due!

http://www.4shared.c...0/guide7R2.html

Update (18/08/10)
a refresh of the guide is up along with new sets of batch files. nothing too major regarding changes except the batch files now include clearing of most of the winsxs folder without the use of vlite. also the update batch files have been updated to include all ms updates since rtm til this month. this will also be my last set til sp1 is released. i hope to do a proper makeover of the files as currently, especially the r2 file, it is very messy, when sp1 is finally out. i will only focus on Ultimate x64 & R2 so no x86 support but I will post a special laptop edition of x86 based on Ultimate.

http://www.4shared.c...E/guidev35.html

Update (13/09/10)

a final refresh is up of the guide. Hopefully this will be the last one til sp1 :P

http://www.4shared.c...e35refresh.html

Updates (note some of these updates have been superceded by new ones so check the addx86/64.bat files for exact files - you may have to seach MS for them)

x86: http://www.4shared.c...x86updates.html
x64: http://www.4shared.c...x64updates.html

KB947821: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

password for the 7z/zip is dead0@msfn

i finally made a universal guide for 7 ultimate x86/x64 and R2 so do make sure you read it carefully!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pre-SP1

this is only for a clean version of 7 ultimate x86/x64 and server r2 enterprise so no updates required (haven't tested with updates yet)

http://www.4shared.c...18q/win7r2.html

you can still use the guide from the previous batch as it still follows the same procedure. i have only removed a minimal amount in vlite so you can remove more. but with this version, do not remove the winsxs folder with vlite, let the batch files do it.

a few notes:
all versions now keep netfx3, powershell removed
x86: media center retained, media streaming should work with wmp12, homegroup should be working (make sure you don't remove windows collaboration in vlite), game explorer retained (untested)
x64: media streaming should work with wmp12, homegroup should be working (make sure you don't remove windows collaboration in vlite), no media center, game explorer retained (untested)
r2: n/a

these batches are still in a testing phase. this set is more of a "not-so extreme" removal method. average install size is about x86: 1.6gb, x64 and r2: 2.5gb with pagefile/hiberfile removed.

Edited by dead0, 28 January 2011 - 11:35 AM.
Posts Merged

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

SausageHack

SausageHack

I love duct tape

• Pip
  • 79 posts
Looking forward to testing this out :) I'm running a x86 build I got to fit on a CD that seems to working pretty well and boots FAST. I really haven't looked at the batch file in-depth yet, but looks like it has good functionality while still effectively removing excess bloat. If you guys want, I have a similar thread here that has the same goal of keeping a high functionality-to-lightness ratio.

I am maintaining a easy to use guide with it, so feel free to use concepts from that in your batch :D
All my people right here, right now, dyou know what I mean?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
basically, with this version, ive kept ie8 & full media player compatibility. ive got the install size down to 2.35gb without page/hiberfile. you should be able to remove a few more items with vlite such as windows color system, jet database, windows search, maybe a few more services...?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
ps i will be working on a similar method as above for x86 but i will probably keep netfx3 & printer support?! i was able to get the x86 wim down to under 600mb so i think that should suffice? :P

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
thx for this
gonna try it

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
@dead0 : I found one error with your batch file. You set the image as d:\s2 not c:\s2 or is that what you intended ?? :P

EDIT ** Ultimate.bat doesn't seem to work. It just says image no longer serviceable.

Edited by Junior2613, 19 August 2009 - 12:10 PM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

@dead0 : I found one error with your batch file. You set the image as d:\s2 not c:\s2 or is that what you intended ?? :P

EDIT ** Ultimate.bat doesn't seem to work. It just says image no longer serviceable.

oops...my bad, its due to me working from another drive! forgot to mention that you will need to edit that to your C: drive in the ultimate.bat if you're working from that drive! :P

Edited by dead0, 19 August 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
@dead0: I'm having another issue I can remove about 5 or 6 packages but then It says the image is no longer serviceable :S ?? Could this be DISM playing up ?? I'm using gimagex to mount the image. Gimagex = imagex + GUI

Edited by Junior2613, 19 August 2009 - 03:50 PM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

@dead0: I'm having another issue I can remove about 5 or 6 packages but then It says the image is no longer serviceable :S ?? Could this be DISM playing up ?? I'm using gimagex to mount the image. Gimagex = imagex + GUI

i use gimagex too! make sure you're running the batch in a x64 environment. did you apply the wim tweak first before running the batch file?

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
Yeah I'm on Windows 7 x64 right now will this have an effect ?? and yes I do run the wim tweak first that works but when i run ultimate.bat I get a lot of errors saying image no longer serviceable :S Do I have to go back to vista to get this going ?

Edited by Junior2613, 19 August 2009 - 04:06 PM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Yeah I'm on Windows 7 x64 right now will this have an effect ?? and yes I do run the wim tweak first that works but when i run ultimate.bat I get a lot of errors saying image no longer serviceable :S Do I have to go back to vista to get this going ?

are you using the dism that comes in the sources folder or dism in windows 7?

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
i'm using DISM in the sources folder

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

i'm using DISM in the sources folder

or are you using waik 7 or waik for vista? im at a loss now as i didnt incur any errors?! :wacko:

ps any chance of a screenshot?

Edited by dead0, 19 August 2009 - 04:42 PM.

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
I'm using Vista WAIK not Windows 7 WAIK. I tried to start again but the wim_tweak wouldn't work for some reason :( I think I will go back to vista and try again,

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I'm using Vista WAIK not Windows 7 WAIK. I tried to start again but the wim_tweak wouldn't work for some reason :( I think I will go back to vista and try again,

that could be the reason: the tweak didnt apply itself properly to the wim?

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
Ok I'll give it another shot. I'm back on vista with the WAIK for vista :)

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
Nope no luck with vista + vista WAIK

Attached Files

oldghost

oldghost
  • 7 posts

ps i will be working on a similar method as above for x86 but i will probably keep netfx3 & printer support?! i was able to get the x86 wim down to under 600mb so i think that should suffice? :P

hi dead0, when can i get x86 removal, i would like to test it out, thanks.
Nothing is good or bad, but our thinkings make it so.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Nope no luck with vista + vista WAIK

are you using a fresh new copy of windows which hasn't been vlited or had any updates/language packs added to it?

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
i tested it on web edition

its did 700mb of removing from 4.6gb to 3.9

anyway its should take out the updatability ?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

i tested it on web edition

its did 700mb of removing from 4.6gb to 3.9

anyway its should take out the updatability ?

its only tested with ultimate x64! with this method i got my install size down to 2.35gb without page/hibernate

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
i should have the x86 version up by tomorrow? install size is just under 1.6gb without page/hiberfile! :D i probably could have got it under 1.5gb if i removed netfx3 & few other components? :wacko:

1st post now updated with x86 version! :)

Edited by dead0, 20 August 2009 - 01:29 PM.

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
@dead0: I am using a fresh copy but it is vlited :( I will try again on my full vista disk

burn

burn

• 34 posts
ive got the same problem as junior :} but my win7 copy is clean, with vista waik on win7 x64...

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

@dead0: I am using a fresh copy but it is vlited :( I will try again on my full vista disk

make sure the win7 copy is not vlited or had any tweaks to it or any packages removed from it before applying the wim tweak! i did all the editing in vmware on xp x64 which worked fine?!

anyone actually had any luck with the batch files? :unsure:

Edited by dead0, 20 August 2009 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN