• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
dead0

Windows 7 Ultimate x86/64 "not-so extreme" Removal

642 posts in this topic

Hi dead0,

I've made one Win7 Lite iso using your lastest Update. Then I tested the build in Vmware. Everything is perfect except I don't see any Network adapter???

Thanks.

The network adpater is done...but I got another problem. When I installed MS Office, it said : Cannot register font. How can I fix it?

Edited by quantan

Hey dead0,

first of all you made a great guide and alot of effort must have gone into making this.

An problem I got through is the file removal (7x86.bat, 7x64.bat, 7R2e.bat). The problem is the files say "access denied" when the batch file is running. I have tried taking ownership ower the whole folder but that will mess up the windows installation (don't know why but it somehow corrupts when taking ownership over ALL files). I don't know if there is an easy solution. It would take quite some time writing up takeownership for each file/folder in the batch file. I have tried on my main system and on a clean virtual machine and both gives rise to same issue (unable to delete then file specified in the batch file). The rest of the guide works just perfect for me.

Hey dead0,

first of all you made a great guide and alot of effort must have gone into making this.

An problem I got through is the file removal (7x86.bat, 7x64.bat, 7R2e.bat). The problem is the files say "access denied" when the batch file is running. I have tried taking ownership ower the whole folder but that will mess up the windows installation (don't know why but it somehow corrupts when taking ownership over ALL files). I don't know if there is an easy solution. It would take quite some time writing up takeownership for each file/folder in the batch file. I have tried on my main system and on a clean virtual machine and both gives rise to same issue (unable to delete then file specified in the batch file). The rest of the guide works just perfect for me.

this happens after mounting the image and dragging 7x86, 7x64, 7r2e to s2?

What I did was copy the batch file to s2/programs

from there i cut it and then placed it back to the root of s2 and then double clicked and it worked fine. do that for the rest and it should work.

one problem I'm having is no network printer support. i've looked through vlite, dism removal, etc but not sure which package corresponds to the network printer support. I've got it connected to a wireless router but when I try and add a printer nothing is found.

other then that I've got the install @ 2.5gb w/200mb page file. working flawlessly. very compact. thanks for the guide. just need to figure out the printer problem and all will be well.

hey!

First of all, I wanna thank you for all your effort you put into this. This goes to all the people who helped testing and fixing stuff as well of course.

Got Windows to 6GB down from 14GB without pagefile, I think thats a good result. I'm still testing what to delete from winsxs to get the size down but keep windows update compatibility.

Edited by neo2k

I have tried countless times (atleast 10-15) following your guide trying to make a slimmed down Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I followed it word for word, exactly, multiple times, but I can never get past the installation without some error or needing some driver or file.

I'm currently on a Windows 7 x64 machine with vlite and Vista Sp1/2008 WAIK installed, so I should be able to make a slimmed down win7 x64 by following your guide, correct?

I'm gonna give it one more go, this time without any updates, using your scripts exactly as you have them.

Also, whats this RT7lite program I keep hearing about? is it just a bunch of bogus ?

I have tried countless times (atleast 10-15) following your guide trying to make a slimmed down Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I followed it word for word, exactly, multiple times, but I can never get past the installation without some error or needing some driver or file.

I'm currently on a Windows 7 x64 machine with vlite and Vista Sp1/2008 WAIK installed, so I should be able to make a slimmed down win7 x64 by following your guide, correct?

I'm gonna give it one more go, this time without any updates, using your scripts exactly as you have them.

Also, whats this RT7lite program I keep hearing about? is it just a bunch of bogus ?

I had a similiar problem. What caused it was having a wrong setup.exe.

It must be the one 239 kb, there is also one which is 110 kb with that one it won't work. The error is right before you normally can choose the version of windows right?

I had a similiar problem. What caused it was having a wrong setup.exe.

It must be the one 239 kb, there is also one which is 110 kb with that one it won't work. The error is right before you normally can choose the version of windows right?

I'm sure I had the correct setup.exe because I made that mistake the first time or two as well.

Usually I get an error during the installation process, right after you choose which harddisk/partition to install windows on.

Have you successfully made a vlited 64bit windows 7?

I sucessfully made installations of windows 7 x64, x86 and server 2008 r2.

At the beginning I made some mistakes too and overread some parts of the guide.

Remember to install the vista WAIK and place gimage inside the WAIK folder.

But after I followed it over 100% it worked a charm. Remember to check for errors when doing DISM as it at some point can make errors where you need to unmount and do a clean up + reboot (happened to me a few times). Remember to delete the pending.xml if u delete anything inside winsxs. What I did at last when i got some errors was take it in steps. Like do the frist steps till dism (removal), then create the installation file, if no errors good install, do next step etc. Doing it all at once makes it harder to check where the error is happening. If dism fail and not add files correctly it can cause break of installation.

First things first: Great guide. First time through, after downloading the few missing kb updates, I had a working os, at 870mb for 7 ultimate x64 disc, which installed @ 2.1gb with hibernation / pagefile disabled.

I was getting a gameux.dll error with any game I used after I tried to use it as an os drive. I realize that I need to not remove game explorer. Is there anything else I need to modify frome the guide for game explorer to work, or just uncheck it in vlite when I go thru it the first time for the component removal.

Thanks in advance.

Well, apparently all I had to do was unchecked games explorer durin the first run with vlite. Tested the os under vmware, and the games explorer was present. Will conduct further testing to make sure everything works as intended.

Once again, great tutorial, I really like this as you can make 7 take up so little space.

Still got the gameux.dll error. Tried to register it, didn't work, windows started generating a wer.dll error as well after trying to register the gameux.dll. I'm out if ideas at this point.

Still got the gameux.dll error. Tried to register it, didn't work, windows started generating a wer.dll error as well after trying to register the gameux.dll. I'm out if ideas at this point.

Try installing the latest Games for Windows Live. That helped to resolve issues I had with gameux.dll. Make sure to "Run as Administrator" to avoid the error code 0x800710dd

Edited by theKramer

hi,

You can go to this site ..

http://www.fix-all-dll-errors.com/gameux.dll/

as I registered few dll's from this site as it is free...worked in my case :)

hey all, i know ive been away a while, just been a bit busy. here is a new set of batches and vlite presets. this is only for a clean version of 7 ultimate x86/x64 and server r2 enterprise so no updates required (haven't tested with updates yet)

http://www.4shared.com/file/i6QkF18q/win7r2.html

you can still use the guide from the previous batch as it still follows the same procedure. i have only removed a minimal amount in vlite so you can remove more. but with this version, do not remove the winsxs folder with vlite, let the batch files do it.

a few notes:

all versions now keep netfx3, powershell removed

x86: media center retained, media streaming should work with wmp12, homegroup should be working (make sure you don't remove windows collaboration in vlite), game explorer retained (untested)

x64: media streaming should work with wmp12, homegroup should be working (make sure you don't remove windows collaboration in vlite), no media center, game explorer retained (untested)

r2: n/a

these batches are still in a testing phase. this set is more of a "not-so extreme" removal method. average install size is about x86: 1.6gb, x64 and r2: 2.5gb with pagefile/hiberfile removed.

Edited by dead0

guys do you know what package does remove WebcamUI and PrinterUI on Devices and Printers??

guys do you know what package does remove WebcamUI and PrinterUI on Devices and Printers??

i dont think any packages remove those unless you use vlite to remove windows image aquisition and windows connect now...?

dead0

Thanks once again for sharing your batch files. In short, in comparison to your previous batch files (dated 13/09/10), your latest batch files will remove less files in overall, but will retain a little more Windows functionalities, right?

Edited by alvinkhorfire

dead0

Thanks once again for sharing your batch files. In short, in comparison to your previous batch files (dated 13/09/10), your latest batch files will remove less files in overall, but will retain a little more Windows functionalities, right?

thats right! the vlite presets are the minimum baseline so you can remove more in vlite...most of the files that are removed with the batch files are linked to the dism package removal. in a sense, this set is what my original "not-so extreme" removal intended to be. :P

Hi dead0. SP1 has just been released a day ago LINK . Can we get a new updated guide from you? And thank you for all your hard work done so far. I"ve made a win7 32bits custom from your guide and after 3 months it works flawlessly. I installed adobe suite, autocad, office and no problems what-so-ever.

Hybrid Keyrayder

Just be patient. dead0 will release SP1-compatible batch files when they are ready, as promised by him.

Update (18/08/10)

a refresh of the guide is up along with new sets of batch files. nothing too major regarding changes except the batch files now include clearing of most of the winsxs folder without the use of vlite. also the update batch files have been updated to include all ms updates since rtm til this month. this will also be my last set til sp1 is released. i hope to do a proper makeover of the files as currently, especially the r2 file, it is very messy, when sp1 is finally out. i will only focus on Ultimate x64 & R2 so no x86 support but I will post a special laptop edition of x86 based on Ultimate.

Give dead0 sufficient time to perform the required testing. I am sure that when they are ready, dead0 will release them accordingly.

Edited by alvinkhorfire

Hybrid Keyrayder

Just be patient. dead0 will release SP1-compatible batch files when they are ready, as promised by him.

Update (18/08/10)

a refresh of the guide is up along with new sets of batch files. nothing too major regarding changes except the batch files now include clearing of most of the winsxs folder without the use of vlite. also the update batch files have been updated to include all ms updates since rtm til this month. this will also be my last set til sp1 is released. i hope to do a proper makeover of the files as currently, especially the r2 file, it is very messy, when sp1 is finally out. i will only focus on Ultimate x64 & R2 so no x86 support but I will post a special laptop edition of x86 based on Ultimate.

Give dead0 sufficient time to perform the required testing. I am sure that when they are ready, dead0 will release them accordingly.

+1 to this. Hey dead0 been a long time since I posted here great job with the batches works greater than ever!

So I tried doing this prodecure, but the windows 7 installed saying "cannot install required files". Also during vlite while applying changes had a similar error "cannot find file" or something which I think is related to why the install didn't work either.

I did make some mistakes though (used an older session file, possible other files older as well. It was rather confusing since dead0 didn't post his latest file package in his original post), so I'm retrying the procedure again, with just the new files, and hopefully with no mistakes.

Anyway, the main reason that I'm posting, is I'd like an explanation of what is being removed by the dism bat and removal bat (and/or the vlite preset)for win7x64 of dead0's latest file package, and what impact it has on the functionality of windows.

I can see the components obviously from vlite, so that's less of an issue, but with the dism, there's no description of the components that it removes, so it's harder for me to understand it's impact.

Is there a basic explanation of the functionality that is still there or the functionality that isn't? For instance I saw some diagnostic and/or network things were removed with both vlite and the dism bat - does that mean I wouldn't be able to view the network (or even system) performance section of (task manager's?) resource manager?

Also, Windows Remote Management is on vlite's removal list, but it says it's required for event log. Is this false, or should I uncheck remote management if I want to use the event log?

Same thing goes on with "quality of service" (network section) and "IPSec Policy agent" (service), to have enabled windows update (service).

Or is it possible that the remove/dism already removed components that allow the event log or windows update to work already?

One big thing I was wondering about is that the removal batch file says something like ".net framework will not be installable in the future" I assume this is still true, or is there some sort of fix or what? I was just wondering because what if a more recent net framework (or small, but critical for some, update for it) pops up in 1-5 years down the road? Will I just be screwed? I don't want an OS that won't last for a long time.

Oh another thing: I am using an ISO which already has updates slipstreamed onto it, I presume I can skip the add an remove stages of the guide fine, right?

Edit: so I tried doing the guide procedure again and It didn't work perfectly. When vlite was just finishing up the modification it said "The system could not find the file specified" (although it didn't SEEM to abort the whole process, but the ISO file size was hardly shrunk at all, so maybe it did abort).

The only things different is when I ran vlite I kept zip/cab viewing, Quality of Service, Digital Rights Management, and IPSec Policy agent. Also the Windows ISO has updates on it already, and I skipped the updating steps.

Also errored on install, something like "windows cannot find install files". This occurs before even doing step 12 or 13.

Edited by joesi

So I tried doing this prodecure, but the windows 7 installed saying "cannot install required files". Also during vlite while applying changes had a similar error "cannot find file" or something which I think is related to why the install didn't work either.

I did make some mistakes though (used an older session file, possible other files older as well. It was rather confusing since dead0 didn't post his latest file package in his original post), so I'm retrying the procedure again, with just the new files, and hopefully with no mistakes.

Anyway, the main reason that I'm posting, is I'd like an explanation of what is being removed by the dism bat and removal bat (and/or the vlite preset)for win7x64 of dead0's latest file package, and what impact it has on the functionality of windows.

I can see the components obviously from vlite, so that's less of an issue, but with the dism, there's no description of the components that it removes, so it's harder for me to understand it's impact.

Is there a basic explanation of the functionality that is still there or the functionality that isn't? For instance I saw some diagnostic and/or network things were removed with both vlite and the dism bat - does that mean I wouldn't be able to view the network (or even system) performance section of (task manager's?) resource manager?

Also, Windows Remote Management is on vlite's removal list, but it says it's required for event log. Is this false, or should I uncheck remote management if I want to use the event log?

Same thing goes on with "quality of service" (network section) and "IPSec Policy agent" (service), to have enabled windows update (service).

Or is it possible that the remove/dism already removed components that allow the event log or windows update to work already?

One big thing I was wondering about is that the removal batch file says something like ".net framework will not be installable in the future" I assume this is still true, or is there some sort of fix or what? I was just wondering because what if a more recent net framework (or small, but critical for some, update for it) pops up in 1-5 years down the road? Will I just be screwed? I don't want an OS that won't last for a long time.

Oh another thing: I am using an ISO which already has updates slipstreamed onto it, I presume I can skip the add an remove stages of the guide fine, right?

Edit: so I tried doing the guide procedure again and It didn't work perfectly. When vlite was just finishing up the modification it said "The system could not find the file specified" (although it didn't SEEM to abort the whole process, but the ISO file size was hardly shrunk at all, so maybe it did abort).

The only things different is when I ran vlite I kept zip/cab viewing, Quality of Service, Digital Rights Management, and IPSec Policy agent. Also the Windows ISO has updates on it already, and I skipped the updating steps.

Also errored on install, something like "windows cannot find install files". This occurs before even doing step 12 or 13.

use the files in the first post under heading pre-sp1. note this is for a clean install without ny updates slipstreamed.

until a proper sp1 is released on msdn there wont be any further updates. i just did a reverse integration of sp1 but its gonna take me weeks to to shrink it properly and thats just for the x86 version so will wait

I think my problem may be due to either the modified install I was using (or still possibly the fact that I'm running vlite on an OS that wasn't slimmed down right so some things are buggy).

Anyway, I'll try some other stuff and see if I can get things working better.

Edited by joesi