Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate x86/64 "not-so extreme" Removal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

joesi

joesi
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 15-November 10
This time that I retry, my untouched dvd, it doesn't get far at all! the dism batch doesn't work- all the actions receive error 5: access is denied.

And I had problem with removex86.bat, It gave mi info "Access Denied" while removing files. So I add to your batch file a couple lines to take ownership and admin permission:

takeown /f {folder} /r /d y
icacls {folder} /grant administrators:F /T

...so as first take ownership, then permission and then remove files and folders. :thumbup

I honestly don't see how this will help me, as I didn't have this issue when I used another install source, but now I am getting the problem all of a sudden. I tried it anyway though. It took a very long time!!
One folder, "documents and settings" was NOT allowed access to change permissions.
Whether or not that was the reaon, Most (not all) of the dism batch actions failed. I think it's possible some of them succeeded last time also, but the large majority of them failed, just like now.

Why would (seemingly just) a different source cause such a huge difference?

Edited by joesi, 02 February 2011 - 01:18 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Photek

Photek

• 29 posts
  • Joined 12-March 10
dead0: Thank you for this guide!

If you make a guide for W7 SP1, I think it deserves a new thread.

My testing so far makes me believe that vlite doesn't work with SP1. I even tried removing Traditional Chinese only, nothing else.
I'm getting this error after I click "Install now":
"The product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key."

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
SP1 is not looking too good for the moment. always getting install errors. vlite removal does not work at all with sp1 unless you use 7 rtm with sp1 slipstreamed. the msdn version with sp1 will not work.

i was thinkin of calling it quits but i may have found a workaround...

Edited by dead0, 27 February 2011 - 10:16 AM.

alvinkhorfire

alvinkhorfire

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 11-May 08
dead0

Yeah, it is very frustrating that vLite does not work anymore.

Anyhow, your Windows 7 Ultimate x86/64 "not-so extreme" Removal necessitates GImagex and batch files to overcome the shortcoming of vLite in slimming down Windows 7. Definitely, your method really work and I am sure many of us here appreciate your effort here.

Still, have you ever thought of using RT 7 Lite to replace vLite? I mean, besides using RT 7 Lite to slim down Windows, we also use GImagex and batch files to augment the ability of RT 7 Lite. As of now, RT 7 Lite still cannot remove certain components that can easily be removed by vLite. I know that it is easier said than done. You have to modify all of your batch files to work with RT 7 Lite and it is not an easy attempt.

Well, it is just my suggestion and you make the call yourself. No worries if you choose to stick with vLite.

Nevertheless, thanks for all batch files you have shared thus far.

Edited by alvinkhorfire, 28 February 2011 - 12:09 AM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

dead0

Yeah, it is very frustrating that vLite does not work anymore.

Anyhow, your Windows 7 Ultimate x86/64 "not-so extreme" Removal necessitates GImagex and batch files to overcome the shortcoming of vLite in slimming down Windows 7. Definitely, your method really work and I am sure many of us here appreciate your effort here.

Still, have you ever thought of using RT 7 Lite to replace vLite? I mean, besides using RT 7 Lite to slim down Windows, we also use GImagex and batch files to augment the ability of RT 7 Lite. As of now, RT 7 Lite still cannot remove certain components that can easily be removed by vLite. I know that it is easier said than done. You have to modify all of your batch files to work with RT 7 Lite and it is not an easy attempt.

Well, it is just my suggestion and you make the call yourself. No worries if you choose to stick with vLite.

Nevertheless, thanks for all batch files you have shared thus far.

i just find rt7lite takes too long whereas with vlite i could do it in half the time or less. now this is partly due to rt7lite relying on waik 2.0 which is so **** slow. i still haven't given up on vlite yet :P

alvinkhorfire

alvinkhorfire

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 11-May 08
dead0

No problem. I see what you mean. :yes: I see that in the thread problem with Vlite 1.2 and Win7 SP1 (MSDN), many users have reported success with your method. Hopefully, whenever you are free in the future, you can update your pdf guide that unifies all of the steps needed to modify vLite to work with Windows 7 SP1 iso. Looking forward to that. Thanks.

Edited by alvinkhorfire, 28 February 2011 - 11:37 PM.

Corrado RS

Corrado RS
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 09-January 10
Seems like the file links are dead. Anyone have the latest guide/batches/updates and is willing to share? Much thanks! =]

TrendMark

TrendMark

• 10 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
I also tried to work on a lite job from this file but I recieved "dism error. How can I solve this problem. If anyone knows how to do it, please help me...

vincentvega007

vincentvega007

• 16 posts
  • Joined 07-June 11
Has anyone yet available x86 guide? All link are dead.

DarkPoe

DarkPoe

• 10 posts
  • Joined 20-December 06

Seems like the file links are dead. Anyone have the latest guide/batches/updates and is willing to share? Much thanks! =]

Every link is dead :(

alvinkhorfire

alvinkhorfire

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 11-May 08
vincentvega007 and DarkPoe
Well, this guide was for Windows 7 RTM (no Service Pack 1). You guys should instead refer to dead0's most recent guide on Windows 7 SP1, Windows 7 Ultimate/Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 Batch Removal.

DarkPoe

DarkPoe

• 10 posts
  • Joined 20-December 06
Yes, but neither the links there are valid, all are like removed or expired or something...

Lege

Lege
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 11-December 11
Can anyone upload pdf file again and post link. i wanna read this tutorial but i cant becouse broken link...?

Kernelspoke

Kernelspoke

• 43 posts
  • Joined 01-September 09
I feel like someone just zapped me with a defibrillator and am stranding off these cobwebs and mummy strands all around me, and yes I have just received confirmation that this is the year 2012 prolly just begun...... wow!! ...Still trying to figure out what my name is doing here, I think my mem needs fibrillation. Now where are those probes?

Hallo people! :hello: :D

The Glimmerman

The Glimmerman

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 03-November 03
Better late then never. :)
For the people who need this. Here are the files.

Reminder these are very old files. PRE SP1

X64 & x86 Files and Guides
Help us help you, by helping yourself. Or, in other words, RTFM.
And never say you don't have time. If you have time to ask and wait, then you have time to read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users