Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate x86/64 "not-so extreme" Removal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09
finally got it to work by removing the 3 packages that LeveL listed and the 1 that burn listed I'm not sure if it affected vLite functionality but I will test now

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
dead0, could you please post ure files u used to super minimize 7 for x86 to bellow 2gb? the only thing i do wanna keep though would be netfx3 support really.thx

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
even after following the guide and removing some extra components like media center etc.. my install.wim is still around 950ish or so ..how can i get it even smaller..ive tried removing more stuff but doesnt make much impact

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
ok,this time i managed to get the iso for x86 down to just over 600 megs..but the install cant start as no driver for the cd/dv is found ;/ im running in vmware..what did i accidently remove to brake it ?

awalraja

awalraja

• 17 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

ok,this time i managed to get the iso for x86 down to just over 600 megs..but the install cant start as no driver for the cd/dv is found ;/ im running in vmware..what did i accidently remove to brake it ?

copy the setup.exe from sources folder of original DVD into s2\sources\

awalraja

awalraja

• 17 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

when mounting with imagex, are you using the imagex from the waik x86 folder or from the amd64 folder?

just updated 1st post with netfx3 removal for x86. remember once removed, you cant re-install netfx3/3.5/4 again...personally, for about 100mb sake, id keep netfx3? :P

hi dead0, wonderful guide. i made some changes to batch file and vlite preset ini file according to my choice and after installation only 1.82 GB is used (after disabling pagefile). this is great. is it possible for you to give detail of all the components that you have removed so that i can make a better choice of what to remove and what not to e.g. i won't like to remove LAN, WLAN card drivers etc.

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09

copy the setup.exe from sources folder of original DVD into s2\sources\

nope,that didnt do it..redid all the steps and only difference is that i removed windows media player and it's still broken for some reason ;/

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
sorted it..thought it was the setup from the main dir..copied the setup from sources and it worked fine :P

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

dead0, could you please post ure files u used to super minimize 7 for x86 to bellow 2gb? the only thing i do wanna keep though would be netfx3 support really.thx

hi dead0, wonderful guide. i made some changes to batch file and vlite preset ini file according to my choice and after installation only 1.82 GB is used (after disabling pagefile). this is great. is it possible for you to give detail of all the components that you have removed so that i can make a better choice of what to remove and what not to e.g. i won't like to remove LAN, WLAN card drivers etc.

heres my latest for ultimate x86:

have a look through my remove.bat file to see which files ive removed. also included my vlite session inis. with this version theres printer, lan, wlan & dotnet3 retained

Edited by dead0, 23 August 2009 - 03:24 PM.

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
thx alot for the file..having a play around with it right now..
just one last thing I need to figure out..what do I need to keep so that I can get my dell mini 9 3g modem working. using the old file the install of the drivers didnt properly work ;/
i'll try with this new one and check in vlite to see if i can figure it out but if you know pls let me know ;)
otherwise awesome work

awalraja

awalraja

• 17 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

heres my latest for ultimate x86:

have a look through my remove.bat file to see which files ive removed. also included my vlite session inis. with this version theres printer, lan, wlan & dotnet3 retained

i've checked your new files, but they are almost same as the first set posted here of files that i was using before which removed LAN/WLAN drivers etc. in fact in these new files, u have removed even more stuff so it will also remove the LAN and WLAN drivers

Edited by awalraja, 24 August 2009 - 01:17 AM.

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
i concur with awalraja..the wifi and lan drivers are removed ;/

Edited by DJ_Elo, 24 August 2009 - 02:42 AM.

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09
@LeveL: Would it be possible to remove those unremovable packages if you put them in their own batch file ?? Like remove them one by one.

scratch that tried it myself that doesn't work either and its strange only those 4 packages are unremovable.

Edited by Junior2613, 24 August 2009 - 06:17 AM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

i've checked your new files, but they are almost same as the first set posted here of files that i was using before which removed LAN/WLAN drivers etc. in fact in these new files, u have removed even more stuff so it will also remove the LAN and WLAN drivers

i concur with awalraja..the wifi and lan drivers are removed ;/

you could edit the bat file to keep the lan/wlan drivers

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

just one last thing I need to figure out..what do I need to keep so that I can get my dell mini 9 3g modem working. using the old file the install of the drivers didnt properly work ;/
i'll try with this new one and check in vlite to see if i can figure it out but if you know pls let me know ;)
otherwise awesome work

you could use vista drivers for it, if you have them?

awalraja

awalraja

• 17 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

i don't know which not to delete using the batch files. can you explain a bit which part of the batch is removing which drivers?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

i don't know which not to delete using the batch files. can you explain a bit which part of the batch is removing which drivers?

keep the files starting with net*

diablosephiroth

diablosephiroth
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-August 09
hello, i have bug i need to share files, but its not possible with this. It's the package for File and Printer Sharing? Because i can't share files....The service Server (can't start ?), vlite network, service ? What's the problem ?? Thxx
Sry i'm not English xD , i hope you understand :P

Edited by diablosephiroth, 24 August 2009 - 02:08 PM.

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09
@diablosephiroth: are you on x64 or x86.

@dead0: why is it that when I remove 4 packages from the removal list it works but if I leave them in I get an error saying image no longer serviceable ??

diablosephiroth

diablosephiroth
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-August 09
x86 :P

Junior2613

Junior2613

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09
I'm not sure are you keeping file & printer sharing server in vlite ?

diablosephiroth

diablosephiroth
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-August 09
yes i keep....

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09

otherwise awesome work

you could use vista drivers for it, if you have them?

That is what I am doing, i run the driver install and most of the drivers install but some dont. I can then manually install these extra drivers but then the modem app does not recognize that there is a mobile modem installed.. I have an earlier build which is taking up much more space where it works so I am still investigating what part brakes it when removed ;/

DJ_Elo

DJ_Elo

• 20 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
i did try to remove everything starting with net in the ultimate and remove bat and still the wlan wont work (it's always disabled..even after flicking hardware switch etc) and the mobile broadband modem still is not detected by the connection software..
ohwell,guess I'll just have to use a somewhat bigger build until this is figured out :P

Jeronimo

Jeronimo

vLite user

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
@Junior2613: the problem is probably the last package that removed properly. I had that with the "Editions"-package, when I removed the one which was related to the Windows 7 edition I was modifying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users