Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

eSATA Faster than USB?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08
Hello everyone, I am having difficulty understanding the speed of my external hard drive. I have a 3.5" Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB (with SD1A firmware!) in a Vantec NexStar CX (eSATA/USB) external enclosure. Now when I copied over a folder with around 60 or so 800MB video files from my PC (in sig) over eSATA it took around 100mins! Over USB it only took me around 30mins! I do not know why the eSATA is being so slow :angry:
I am using the supplied eSATA bracket and cable which came with the enclosure. My internal drive is going fine, and USB transfers are nice and fast. Any help on why eSATA is going so slow for me would be greatly appreciated!

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,161 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Normally E-SATA should be much faster.

Which Windows are you using? Have installed the latest Updates and drivers?

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 23 August 2009 - 06:24 AM.

Posted Image

bonestonne

bonestonne

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 27-July 05
i'd say check for new SATA drivers for your motherboard. I've gone away from USB to firewire for my external hard drive, loads faster than USB, but my drive doesn't have eSATA, so I can't jump that far.

you might also want to try a different eSATA cable.

New Machine:
|Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620--Xigmatek SD1283 DK-II x2|Asus Z9PA-D8--HR-55 IFX|Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD SATA3|32gb DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM|WD Blue 640GB SATA2 x2|Apple Slim Keyboard|Apple Mighty Mouse|nVidia GTX660ti 2GB|Antec HCG-750|NZXT Source 210 Elite|M-Audio ProFire 2626|Art TubeOpto8 with Smooth Plate Tube Swap|Avid Artist Mix x2|Acer S211 HL-BD x2|

Old Machine:
||Core 2 Quad Q9400||Scythe Ninja||MSI Neo P45||Thermalright HR-05||M-Audio ProFire 2626||Cooler Master Elite 330||
||Apple Mighty Mouse||150GB WD Raptor HDD||640GB WD Blue||HL DVD+/-RW||nVidia GTX260||
||8GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel||Corsair 400CW PSU||Dell basic USB KB||150GB WD Raptor||2x 22" LCD||
||Boston Acoustic mains + Creative sub||Innovation Cooling Diamond 7 TIM||

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

Normally E-SATA should be much faster.

Which Windows are you using? Have installed the latest Updates and drivers?

I have the latest chipset drivers (no SATA driver though-IDE mode!) and am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

i'd say check for new SATA drivers for your motherboard. I've gone away from USB to firewire for my external hard drive, loads faster than USB, but my drive doesn't have eSATA, so I can't jump that far.

you might also want to try a different eSATA cable.

I might try to install the SATA drivers very soon then. And if that doesn't help, then I will swap the cables over.

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,908 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05

<snip>I have the latest chipset drivers (no SATA driver though-IDE mode!) and am using Windows XP Pro SP3.<snip>

In IDE mode, the transfer rate is limited to IDE-speed ;) If you want your thing to go faster, you should check your BIOS for the AHCI option and enable it. There is a sticky here that will help you jump to AHCI from IDE mode without reinstalling your whole OS.

Good luck!

Please read the rules, folks!

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

<snip>I have the latest chipset drivers (no SATA driver though-IDE mode!) and am using Windows XP Pro SP3.<snip>

In IDE mode, the transfer rate is limited to IDE-speed ;) If you want your thing to go faster, you should check your BIOS for the AHCI option and enable it. There is a sticky here that will help you jump to AHCI from IDE mode without reinstalling your whole OS.

Good luck!

Yeah I thought that could help a bit. And increase general HDD performance on my internal drive too. OK I will do that then see what happens.
Where exactly is the sticky? I can only find a sticky on how to integrate SATA drivers using nLite...

EDIT: I found it.
EDIT 2:Its only for ICH9 southbridges! The instructions do not go with the ICH10 drivers. Any help???
EDIT 3: Found a guide on the net and enabled AHCI mode. Worked OK. Now I will test out the external HDD and see if its faster!

Edited by Zenskas, 24 August 2009 - 01:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users