The file ohci1394.sys could not be found

dan1212

Hello, I'm trying to use WinSetupFromUSB and I'm getting "The file ohci1394.sys could not be found" message after trying the 1st (text) part of the XP set up on a Asus EeePC 900A currently running Linux.

I'm using a PNY 4GB memory stick and my source files are from the original XP recovery CD that came with my computer.

I have created a source folder on the root of my hard drive with integrated SP2 and SP3 files, but no SP1. I can't find the SP1 files anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?

thank you in advance

Thank you for replying ilko_t,

The CD I'm using as a source for XP files is an recovery CD-ROM. It is for hard disk recovery of XP0 Home Edition.

I suspect this may be the problem, as ohci1394.sy_ is not present in $WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\. I think this may only work with a full XP installation CD. I may need to contact the retailer I bought my computer from and try to get one since I do hold a legal license.

Here is my attached txtsetup.sif

Thank you once again, sorry to be a bother.

TXTSETUP.zip

I am somewhat convinced after many tries that using the XP 'OEM' recovery CD bought in 2002, that came with my computer to create a repair\reinstall of XP on my AOpen desktop PC, that it cannot be done.

It appears the way my computer is set up, the partition containing critical files on the hard drive cannot be accessed; not even while formatting.

Therefore files essential to creating a boot disk and XP installation are absent.

The only way is to obtain a full XP installation disk which at this time seems to be around $80-90 or so.

Please correct my errors, I will be quite grateful.

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought a sealed full install of XP SP2 CD off eBay and almost got XP working, except it's saying it's missing the shell32.dll file.

I checked and it is not on the USB stick nor does it turn up in a search of the CD I bought (looked in hidden files)

how can this be? have I bought some defective disk? it has the product key and proof of license

is installing XP supposed to be this hard? I seem to be hitting a brick wall with everythin I try

edit: I forgot to add I can't use the recovery console as it is asking me for an administrative password which is mysteriously not blank and is somehow already set.

Can I do anything with the grub prompt?

Edited by dan1212

Search for shell32.dl_, is it in ~LS\I386 folder on the USB stick and in I386 on the CD?

is installing XP supposed to be this hard?
Nope, in case you have a proper source CD and properly working hardware, including USB stick.

Do you have a chance to try with another USB stick?

Can I do anything with the grub prompt?
You can do many things in grub4dos prompt, but in regard to your issue none would be relevant.

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/Grub4dos.htm

Well I feel dumb.....sort of

Let me start by apologizing in advance for taking your time and thanking you for your help.

I did have all the proper files and then some after looking in the right place (thanks again)

On one of many internet searches, I came upon a site that suggested a damaged or improper copy of shell32.dll could be caused by several things; one of which was a malfunctioning CD drive, a spindle with too much much vibration.

My 7 year old CD player has been gradually making more noise over the years, but I didn't think much of it since it still plays music fine. Apparently it can do that, yet not copy data right.

I tried my brand new DVD-RW/CD-RW (replaced the DVD-R recently since it totally died in this old computer) and everything worked flawlessly.

I even went back and redid the full installation with a mounted .iso of an Nlite version with all the integrated drivers and SP3. Worked perfectly.

So....I guess maybe I should change the title of this thread to reflect something along the lines if you keep coming up with "this file missing and that file missing" it could be your hardware. I did get messages about random files (too many to list here and I don't recall them all anyway) missing.

thanks once more