Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

xpize 5 Release 6

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

MrBusty

MrBusty

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

something to load it when installing XPize next time?

Actually it was planned, that R6 will include a reloader feature...
Maybe this will come in a future version. :)
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

W3bbo

W3bbo

xpize / Vize Project Lead

• Developer
  • 473 posts

something to load it when installing XPize next time?

Actually it was planned, that R6 will include a reloader feature...
Maybe this will come in a future version. :)

You wish. I'm taking a break for a looooong time. If anyone wants to carry on after me, let me know.
Posted Image

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Thank you so much, W3bbo! :) Just installed it, it feels so nice and complete! :thumbup

Okay, now let's get down to problems :blushing:

1. A lot of elements in Advanced tree aren't properly labeled and contain no description.

Posted Image

I want to skip *.rar file type icon install, but can't find it... (not WinRar theme, that's what I can find and uncheck)

2. It still changes power off and log off screen buttons even I unselect all themes. I think I can work around this problem by deleting some temporary file, but it's quite annoying to do that every time.

Posted Image

3. Advanced options dialog's font is different from wizard font. For some languages it's quite annoying (also it's taskbar icon is default Visual Studio form icon).

Posted Image

4. MMC still has a lot of old icons...

Posted Image

Also every time I install XPize I select and unselect a lot of elements in the tree manually and it's quite hard to not make a mistake and forget something... Is it possible to implement some kind of selection remembering functionality, e.g. save selection as template or something to load it when installing XPize next time?

Thanks,
Vladimir

This is where the custom icon packs come into play, somebody can fix/add to the default theme and improove it later...the most important part is the program

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts

This is where the custom icon packs come into play, somebody can fix/add to the default theme and improove it later...the most important part is the program

That's right. I've updated the downloadable tools, so let's see what the users make of them.
Posted Image

OuTmAn

OuTmAn

\ ( ^_^) /

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi, some suggests :

1) 7-Zip theme doesn't have transparency: some icons have black background, others have white (or grey don't remember) background. Might be due to my visual style, I don't use those of xpize... no screenshot, could provide if needed

2) because there is alot of options to (un)check in the installer, it would be very convenient if, when a child box is unchecked, the parent box became checked, but on a greyed box, instead of remaining unchanged

Otherwise, this xpize resurrection is really impressive

Cheers

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts

Hi, some suggests :

1) 7-Zip theme doesn't have transparency: some icons have black background, others have white (or grey don't remember) background. Might be due to my visual style, I don't use those of xpize... no screenshot, could provide if needed

This is caused by outdated nVidia drivers. It's a known issue and a problem shared by the author of the 7-Zip Theme Manager ( http://www.7ztm.de.vu/ )

2) because there is alot of options to (un)check in the installer, it would be very convenient if, when a child box is unchecked, the parent box became checked, but on a greyed box, instead of remaining unchanged

Most users won't need to touch the Advanced installation tree view, what settings were you after?
Posted Image

Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude

xpize & vize coordinator

• Developer
  • 266 posts
To expand on W3bbo's 7zFM problem::

Why do my Toolbar-Icons have a black background instead of a transparent one?

* This bug mostly occurs in conjunction with the nVidia GeForce drivers.
Unfortunately we are not aware of a solution be we can offer a workaroung - reduce the hardware acceleration:

Right click on desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot -> Hardware acceleration -> choose penultimate slider setting (Decrease cursor acceleration and bitmap acceleration)

Posted Image
* CodePlex - For the framework: http://anolis.codeplex.com/
* xpize Homepage: http://www.xpize.net/
* Vize Homepage: http://www.vizeos.net/
* Anolis Homepage: http://anol.is/
* Anolis on dA: http://anolisfx.deviantart.com

OuTmAn

OuTmAn

\ ( ^_^) /

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
@W3bbo, I really fine-tune my xpize install : no WinRAR theme because I use mine, no bootscreen because I don't like it, no visualstyle because I'd rather use my current one, idem concerning the wallpaper, etc... In a nutshell, I am only using the sysfiles patches and the logon/logoff screens. And so, each user customize its desktop as he wishes, hey, here is the interest of a powerful and flexible software as anobis ;)

@ Happy-Dude, this bug is quite interesting, but whatever I certainly won't harm hardware acceleration because of this ;) FYI my ForceWare version is 182.50, it isn't that old...

Edited by OuTmAn, 01 September 2009 - 07:25 PM.

Hell Racer

Hell Racer

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts

@W3bbo, I really fine-tune my xpize install : no WinRAR theme because I use mine, no bootscreen because I don't like it, no visualstyle because I'd rather use my current one, idem concerning the wallpaper, etc...

I use it almost the same way most times :). +1! :)

That's right. I've updated the downloadable tools, so let's see what the users make of them.

Well, I could try to improve the package itself (not installer) to remove some artifacts (e.g. changes in unwanted elements, incorrect file type names etc). Could you please point me to how to get this package (xpize 5 release 6) separately to be able to change it (and the tools needed for that)?
Posted Image

Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude

xpize & vize coordinator

• Developer
  • 266 posts

1. A lot of elements in Advanced tree aren't properly labeled and contain no description.

I want to skip *.rar file type icon install, but can't find it... (not WinRar theme, that's what I can find and uncheck)

Also every time I install XPize I select and unselect a lot of elements in the tree manually and it's quite hard to not make a mistake and forget something... Is it possible to implement some kind of selection remembering functionality, e.g. save selection as template or something to load it when installing XPize next time?

Thanks,
Vladimir

Have you already installed R6 yet? (Is it really difficult to change the file association icon post-install? If it is a hassle, I guess you'll have to make due by unselecting all the extra icons and stuff so you can keep your own icon associations.)

The descriptions are from the .anop packages (I believe), in this case the default xpize ones. W3bbo has been working on compiling translations together, adding various tweaks to the program, making some new resources, and tuning the program... Basically, I don't think he had the time or effort to add the descriptions for advance settings :P .

(Since W3bbo is taking some time off from the project, feedback and suggestions will be noted, but put aside for the moment. This, of course, would be the prime time for package developers to take initiative and make packages that cover what xpize missed... Or, something different entirely, like a Vistapack or something. ;))

Edited by Happy-Dude, 02 September 2009 - 12:01 AM.

Posted Image

Hell Racer

Hell Racer

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Have you already installed R6 yet? (Is it really difficult to change the file association icon post-install? If it is a hassle, I guess you'll have to make due by unselecting all the extra icons and stuff so you can keep your own icon associations.)

The descriptions are from the .anop packages (I believe), in this case the default xpize ones. W3bbo has been working on compiling translations together, adding various tweaks to the program, making some new resources, and tuning the program... Basically, I don't think he had the time or effort to add the descriptions for advance settings :P .

(Since W3bbo is taking some time off from the project, feedback and suggestions will be noted, but put aside for the moment. This, of course, would be the prime time for package developers to take initiative and make packages that cover what xpize missed... Or, something different entirely, like a Vistapack or something. ;))

Thanks for reply!

Yes, I've installed R6 already, but that's really not a big deal for me to revert back (since I always have OS backup which takes about 1.5-2 mins to rollback to, since I have a fast SSD drive :)). The problem with *.rar file type icon is that there is about 40 more associations for archive tomes, e.g. *.r01-*.r40. Again that's really not a big deal just to skip custom file type icons during install, I just pointing for caveats which W3bbo (or someone else) may want to fix later.

If the descritions are from *.anop, where can I get latest (xpise 5 release 6) to try to fix myself?

Edited by Hell Racer, 02 September 2009 - 01:31 AM.

Posted Image

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts

(Since W3bbo is taking some time off from the project, feedback and suggestions will be noted, but put aside for the moment. This, of course, would be the prime time for package developers to take initiative and make packages that cover what xpize missed... Or, something different entirely, like a Vistapack or something. ;) )

Thanks for reply!

Yes, I've installed R6 already, but that's really not a big deal for me to revert back (since I always have OS backup which takes about 1.5-2 mins to rollback to, since I have a fast SSD drive :) ). The problem with *.rar file type icon is that there is about 40 more associations for archive tomes, e.g. *.r01-*.r40. Again that's really not a big deal just to skip custom file type icons during install, I just pointing for caveats which W3bbo (or someone else) may want to fix later.

If the descritions are from *.anop, where can I get latest (xpise 5 release 6) to try to fix myself?

I'll upload the package source files soon.
Posted Image

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts

Hi all! W3bbo thanks for your excellent work :)

I've only a quest: on a XP SP3 fresh clean install if I apply the Luna Element Theme doesn't appear the User Image beside the name on Start Menu... is it a bug? Thank you :)

That is by design. The author of Luna Element didn't like seeing those pictures.

I don't use the large start panel, I always use the Classic start menu with Small Icons enabled.
Posted Image

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts

I've another question :blushing: The next release of Xpize (R7) will be the latest version or not? Approximately when will it be out?
Thanks, I wish you a good work :) bye

If someone else wants to do it, they're welcome. Don't expect anything until Christmas.
Posted Image

zedox

zedox

XPize Darkside Author

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Hi w3bbo!

Nice release, sorry I didn't get some of the newer darkside resources to you in time!
Take a break, I know how hard you've been working.

Antonio

Download XPize Darkside 2.1 here!

Posted Image

Sky2k

Sky2k

• 16 posts
been searchin but not find, so i'll ask : What about my computer, recycle bin and hard drive icons ? Is it possible 2 change them?

and one more: rar & zip archives has different icons? is it norm?
Attached File  __1041___1077___1079___1099___1084___1103___1085___1085___1099___1081_.JPG   72.69KB   55 downloads

Edited by Sky2k, 05 September 2009 - 01:35 AM.

registradus

registradus
  • 2 posts
R6 really broke my computer. I uninstalled R5, restarted and installed R6. Everything seemed to go fine until I restarted my computer. All my DLLs were corrupted and I had to manually reinstall them through recovery console. Very not good.

Any advice on how to avoid this happening again?

MrBusty

MrBusty

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Any advice on how to avoid this happening again?

Did you uninstall R5 and install R6 right away? xpize is prompting to restart after uninstallation - you should really do this.
There can be major problems (even more critical, like a BSOD on Windows start up), if xpize setup collides with a pending Installation (e.g. a Windows Update).
If you did install R6 right away after uninstalling R5, I assume this is the evil factor in your case.
I guess it would have been better to install R6 without uninstalling R5. - That should work too.
Posted Image

MrBusty

MrBusty

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
If your system is restored properly, you can try it again.
Make a Backup folder and create a System Restore Point - just for safety.

(sorry, I did a quote instead of an edit... my bad)

Edited by MrBusty, 08 September 2009 - 01:14 AM.

Posted Image

registradus

registradus
  • 2 posts
Yeah I restored back to the point prior to uninstalling R5. I'm pretty sure I restarted after uninstall but then I think I may have installed some Windows Live programs without restarting. I'm a bit worried about doing it again as I couldn't even access System Restore! But I'll give it a go and let you know...

tkrojam

tkrojam

• 42 posts
Hi, W3bbo. As a user, I do appreciate for your contribution of this software. I tried from xpize5 r1 to r6 and I see the revolution of xpize. But the point is, xpize5 is not so user-friendly compared with the previous one during the installation. In xpize4, all items are clearly listed to make user to choose from.

In fact, users expect improvements version by version. Till this moment, xpize5 got version 6, there are also bugs existed in the language option. Some of windows still have a lot of old icons... How many version will still be released in the near future? They expect the final version, not under-debugging versions indeed. There is no meaning to make a lot of release, install, uninstall then install...

We realize that programming on this project needs time and energy, we will still always support you to make it fully satisfactory. All my wordings are sincere and I never mean to be negative. Anyway, keep trying your best in the coming days. :w00t:

Again, thanks a lot and have a nice vacation. :thumbup

Edited by tkrojam, 09 September 2009 - 11:20 PM.

cloferba

cloferba

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
i would like what W3bbo did to modify the boot screen...

he used a resource hacker command?

Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude

xpize & vize coordinator

• Developer
  • 266 posts

But the point is, xpize5 is not so user-friendly compared with the previous one during the installation. In xpize4, all items are clearly listed to make user to choose from.

Did you see the advanced options button with the R5+R6 versions? The list/ tree view is still there... W3bbo made a simple-selection option for non-experienced users. He kinda figured they would get intimidated by so much resources/ information being presented to them at once ("user-friendly" has many directions-- some more simple, some more detailed; we're trying to find a balance).

EDIT:: Ah, sorry. I realized that you were talking about xpize version FOUR, and not 5. I can't immediately recall xpize 4's installer. Tree view in v5 can be improved... But I don't think that's an immediate priority (see below?)

In fact, users expect improvements version by version. Till this moment, xpize5 got version 6, there are also bugs existed in the language option. Some of windows still have a lot of old icons... How many version will still be released in the near future? They expect the final version, not under-debugging versions indeed. There is no meaning to make a lot of release, install, uninstall then install...

There are improvements version by version. We know that many resources are still unpatched. You can help us out by pointing us to them ;) . It'd help us even more if you actually photoshopped some stuff for us to use :D !!

W3bbo is currently taking some time off now (and I do believe most of the post-R3 new resources, such as the IE8 ones, were actually made by him or zedox). xpize can be extended with packages (which is one of the greater potential of the project)... Which is what Hell Racer did right here: http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=137693 ;; users can do more by making your own resources and styles and packaging it up together to check it out. That means either building on top of whatever xpize patched, or you can branch out with another completely different shell and taste.

As far as I can see, no one has really done much with the package-feature, which is a real shame in fact, because extendability largely depends on how far users are willing to go.

I believe W3bbo is focusing on getting the patching process and packages absolutely right. (You realize Resourcer is still in beta, right?) As for the uninstalling and installing-- its typical with a lot of shell patchers (and many programs out there, in fact) to uninstall and reinstall for optimal results. Yes, I think we know that it needs to be worked out a bit more (like the multiple entries thing... we know about that).

You can install over your previous installations... But are you willing to see multiple uninstall entries and risk the chance of something breaking? I'd expect many users to do the same ritual of uninstalling and installing a new version anyway. (*ahem* well... some stuff did go wrong with the uninstalling portion of some machines. We'd like to solve this, but there are only so many machines W3bbo test xpize on. I think he mostly uses Virtual Machines and sometimes borrows a friend to test.)

And the extra languages is more or less a luxury for other demographics... W3bbo didn't have to go to such great lengths asking for new string translations every release (which he actually delayed some just for a more string-complete release)-- he could have been lazy and did what most developers do: fill in the missing strings with the corresponding English ones ;) . I'm really grateful that users actually took their time and make them. If there are problems, might you tell us what so we can fix it?

All in all, I think W3bbo did an excellent job. Just give it some time. He's an university student, and he does in fact have a life ;) . Tell us what we should improve and fix, and we'll see what we can do. If there is enough feedback and W3bbo (or someone else) has the time, there might be a R7. I have no promises ;)

-----
Also note that most of the users that installed (and are giving feedback) are on the forums. We've tried helping those with problems and seeing what we can do. Many bugs found and reported on the forums were fixed (like the logout dialog?). I really have no clue what the general statistics for bug reports are or install demographic, but thanks to R6's feedback thing at the end of install, W3bbo is receiving some extra data/ suggestions.

Edited by Happy-Dude, 11 September 2009 - 02:06 AM.

Posted Image

tkrojam

tkrojam

• 42 posts
You know, I've ever tried both xpize4 and 5...The most obvious disparity of users' experience is installer packaging, as a user, I can try comparison between both versions. In fact, I am very impressed in the re-programming in the installer of application. (Even I know nothing about computer science, I can realize you guys spend a lot on this revolution. In here, I make my appreciation to you all) Then I fully expect what the new release of xpize5 can make my xp machine more style-matched.

However, I observed that there is not so many differences made compared with the previous one. In the other words, it is reasonable that the elements and components which have been xpized in xpize4 are all kept for the new version. But the others did not get xpized in xpize4 were not still modified in 5. (Actually, some of them has been listed by Hell Racer) Is it sensible that every application, including xpize, the newer version is based on the older one to make it out the improvements? We can see some of stuff didn't get done or imperfect, then find them out and make modification. This is called improvement based on the aim of xpize.

The phenomenon is, xpize3 is better than xpize2 , xpize 4 is also better than xpize3...If we think that xpize4 is already made better enough, why don't we expect that xpize5 is the final version because it will be the perfect one? I believe all previously released versions of xpize, not only xpize 4, are precious resources and experience. Users expect that the team can make more effort on not only the macro-development of the application but also the micro-development. Overall using experience is the critical element to judge whether a software succeed or not.

I can see your points, and I do post and list out all imperfect as I observed and found. Thanks.

Edited by tkrojam, 12 September 2009 - 11:05 PM.

tkrojam

tkrojam

• 42 posts
I found a mistake appeared in the language option of installation, please correct this before the next release, thanks.
Please correct the wording in red circle from "英文" to "繁體中文" (That means traditional Chinese) and also the correct national flag would be the attached one (HK.gif). :rolleyes:

Attached Files

• Attached File  xpize5.JPG   32.19KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  HK.gif   245bytes   8 downloads

Edited by tkrojam, 12 September 2009 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN