Vista Freezing

Bethesdates

Hello,

I own a Vista and it freezes on an average 4-5 times a day being played for about ten hours in sessions of 3-5 hours. It doesn't get to hot and it has no obstruction to its fans, its a brand new computer designed less then 2 years ago, and I'm virus free while freezing occurs. The freezeing occurs when I'm on desktop, playing a game, on the internet and downloading anything. If it helps it seems to be an intel core 7, Nvidia Purevideo, Vista and I'm currently using Norton 360 as virus protection.

If you could help me that would be great, and please be very in depth when you make instructions.

Thank you.

When it freezes, do you get a BSOD?

Assuming not, can you hit the WinKey or CTRL/ALT/Del to get out of it or are you forced to hit reset? If you have used the reset button, you MUST do a CHKDSK. Not sure how new you are to this? You need to open a command prompt AS AN ADMINISTRATOR and then type

CHKDSK /R/F

Say Yes at the prompt and do a reboot and let CHKDSK run. Ity may take some hours. If you have been resetting, you are bound to have some file errors now.

What does the EVENT VIEWER say caused the problem? Type EVENT VIEWER in the START SEARCH box at the Orb and click EVENT VIEWER that will be at the top. Report back what it says has happened.

What Video driver are you using? Have you updated that?

Are you running Aero? If so, turn that off and see if that helps, report how mauch RAM you have and if a dedicated Video card or Integreated graphics

More info will help track the problem down.

And YES, you can get HD problems on a 2 week old computer (and note you said 2 years in the original post)!

Edited by Kotuku