Windows Experience Index Score Question

adrian2055

Before I settle in for a night of gaming I decided to ask this question. On my new desktop my windows experience index score was a 4.0 with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 256MB card that came with it. Well, I installed a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Express graphics card today and my score decreased to a 3.5. My gaming graphics score went up from a 4.0 to a 4.7, but my graphics score (the one that measures the desktop performance on windows aero) when down from a 4.0 to a 3.5. Why is that?

Did you install the latest Nvidia drivers from their Web Page? version 190.62 WHWL is the latest. You haven't said if you have 32 or 64 bit Vista.

Also (and excuse me if I am wrong), isn't the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator just Integreated Graphics, not a separate card? If it is integreated Graphics, have you turned thta off in the BIOS set-up?

OK, well at least you checked.

The card is a low end cheap but resonable one, supports DX10 etc, so I would imagine better than the Integrated one, but I have no direct experience.

You have re-run the Windoews Experience score, right?

It may pay to check the RAM is working OK on the card (not specifically sure how to do that) or complain to the shop you bought it from and try another card?

Google for Riva Tuner and check the card is working on all fronts.

Well, you went from a destkop-oriented chip (it's all smoke and mirrors with the Intel chips, mind you, but they do score higher than most older discrete video cards in the business graphics). Note the business graphics tests specifically test only the DX interfaces that are used to display the desktop, and anything 3.0 and over is considered "good" for this and will run Aero just fine. The gaming graphics tests run the gamut of DX tests, where a card doing what the Intel does (again, driver "smoke and mirrors" to do a lot of DX work) will fall down whereas a "gaming" graphics card like the 8400 will do much better. The Intel drivers are likely designed and tuned specifically to score "well" in the business graphics test, rather than actually be a good video chipset. And, as you probably know, they're fine for onboard graphics, but anything graphics-intensive will indeed give it trouble.

Honestly, given the age of the chipset in an 8400, your scores seem quite normal to me. I'd consider it an upgrade anyway, even if it scores lower in some areas.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was hoping it was an upgrade. I didn't realize this nvidia card was an old card. I just went to besy buy and picked the first nvidia pci-express card that I could find that was under $100. I can see some improvements with the new card already which is where my confusion was coming from. This card work better, but scores lower in one category. I guess intel is still up to their old tricks.

Edited by adrian2055

• 3 months later...
Well, you went from a destkop-oriented chip (it's all smoke and mirrors with the Intel chips, mind you, but they do score higher than most older discrete video cards in the business graphics). Note the business graphics tests specifically test only the DX interfaces that are used to display the desktop, and anything 3.0 and over is considered "good" for this and will run Aero just fine. The gaming graphics tests run the gamut of DX tests, where a card doing what the Intel does (again, driver "smoke and mirrors" to do a lot of DX work)

Intel is better under GNU/Linux than under Windows. From my experience, it's pretty much just the DirectX support that isn't too good.

I just tested the one on my Acer Aspire M5630, the GMA 3100 and it works nice under Ubuntu.

GMA 3100 don't suck like the 82815 did!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP