Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 RTM - 32/64 Bit - UPDATED

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
523 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows 7 RTM (32 & 64 Bit) (312 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following archives best suites your needs?

1. Voted 7elite32 or 7elite64 (133 votes [42.63%])

Percentage of vote: 42.63%

2. Voted 7media32 or 7media64 (68 votes [21.79%])

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

3. Voted 7xtreme32 or 7xtreme64 (111 votes [35.58%])

Percentage of vote: 35.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08

There a problem whit virtualbox that can't recognize the virtual disk. I can't try my
image e i dont know what driver i can try to istal in orden to recognize the virtual
disk of virtualbox.I have also unceck the chipset support driver .

You did not follow step 21 u need to copy original setup.exe from the sources folder from untouched win7 DVD or retail ISO image the sources folder of the image u made with this guide !

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08

The previus problem seem to be a erroneuos uncheck in Vlite . Possibly the Dinamic Volume Manager (???).

But the problem below is more serious.This appear whith or whitout the "batch file treatment"

Posted Image

RHPT

RHPT

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 06-October 07
I get this error when running the mount.bat file. I'm using the 7elite64 package. And I am running the command prompt with Administrator rights. I am trying to run the process with a computer running Win7Ultimate x64. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I notice that there has been similar posts in this thread about this issue, but no clear solution has been offered.

C:\7elite64\batch>mount

ImageX Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Mounting (RW): [C:\7elite64\source\sources\install.wim, 4] ->
			   [C:\7elite64\mount]

Error mounting image (RW):

Access is denied.
-------------------------------------------
------Pre-install registry Tweak Tool------
---------------for Windows 6.x-------------
-------------------------------------------
Processing : C:\7elite64\mount
Registry file not found!
-------------------Ending------------------
Removing BKP file...					 Unhandled error occured.
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path
-------------------Ending------------------
Removing BKP file...
Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at install_wim_tweak.Program.Ending()
   at install_wim_tweak.Program.Main(String[] args)

Edited by RHPT, 03 November 2009 - 12:00 PM.

solar

solar

• 26 posts
  • Joined 26-January 09
First of all, cheers liquid for the guide..but I must say something which up until running thisguide, Iwouldn agree with (sorry my spacebar is borked).

A. I realize, that all 3 of your presets are far too unstable.. in fact , all 3 of them break certian dependencies when you play around enough with win 7 making them not* efficient at all, as stability is a given for a new OS onemust hope.

Regarding space.. then one can remove almost 4.7 GB or thereabouts just by removing, help, natural languages, speech support and languages, all withvLite.

I realize probably so many people want to make a smaller but yet stable working custom image for recovery or reformat purposes , so I think I might ifI bother, make a guide which does slipstreaming and customisation in a way I have ifnally figured out to be a sane method for single computer deployment (and not MASS* deployments).

From your guide, I would reocmmend, only* removing the unneeded language packs via removal.bat, and any non edition packages. I dont remembernow, there was maybe one or two more packages.

Run the commit, mount in vLite, and go with thismethod, the components I mentioned above takes off over 4 GB, and p***in about with the other components like [network], [hardware support]. etc. just makes it more likely to break some dependencies (btw, my sticky notes died doing a very conservative verison of media preset).

ANyway, whats the point of removing something which takes up 1 mb and might barely be using ram?

Thats my two pence of advice.

Anyway, when this is done , rebuild. exit. AGAIN, cleanup.bat is I think too unstable. OUt of curiousity liquid, how many test settings has your settings passed? (boxconfigurations, VM contra physical ) etc? Anyway, all this is not meant to be critique to the vastly helpful starter with this guide, but I just think it is too customised for most of the users posting. Anywhooooo, going back. (Unless one is skilled enough to see what in cleanup might again screw around with in terms of non US language OS etc, onemight as well leave cleanup.bat alone to start with).

On the setup file, just don't delete the stuff in source, and dont* remove setup.exe (for almost 100 MB I know, but in vista as well , it was better to keep it normally). This way you will avoid a lot of the install issues. Again, many hours can be saved, for those little extra bytes.

(But yes, to be safe , I still copy the setup.exe from the dvd although it worked not doing so as well).

Right, dont meddle with theservices much, I got a services error rebuilding in vLite when I changed 3 of them only lol.They can be stopped/started in OS anyway.

I do some cleanup fromcleanup.bat but I also when I am mounted after rebuild, patch, customise, add any folders, settings n stuff like that now (eg. replace notepadwith notepad2, add custom logonsound etc).

then again commmit, load into vLite, rebuild, burn ISO.

I install (dont bother with unattend), install. WHen I'min windows, I customise EVERYTHING I want to have in my install image, including drivers, programs, settings, backgrounds, everyting, the lot. I also add a custom bg logonimage, custom icons, whatever. (alternatively, one could go into audit mode, during this.. I'll investigate this more before saying anything final). When all this is done, I make the administrator accoutn active, reboot, copy other account as Default, and sysprep /generralize... n shut down. I then go into my main building OS and capture the image.

This way , ALL Settings will be stored when I create my account again when I reformat int he future, will have all basic programs installed yaddi yaa. Then I can burn this image either onto a windows PE disk, OR if you really wanna go advanced, you create the kind of recovery partitions etc. as OEM systems often come with. (I might write a guide on that, but this is a bitmore complex and not gonna go into it now).

Voila, forget all the crap of integrating hotfixes, LPs, drivers, programs with WAIK, MDT, vLite, RunOnce, unattend, etc. when it is your single home image.. just imagex it and all is cool. Ye?

thats it. from this those who keep getting errors, should pick up what thepoint is... go less into skinning the OS till u have played aroundand see what is depending on what n all that.

toodles

Solar

Zumoc

Zumoc

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 03-July 09

There a problem whit virtualbox that can't recognize the virtual disk. I can't try my
image e i dont know what driver i can try to istal in orden to recognize the virtual
disk of virtualbox.I have also unceck the chipset support driver .

You did not follow step 21 u need to copy original setup.exe from the sources folder from untouched win7 DVD or retail ISO image the sources folder of the image u made with this guide !

Hi Liquid,If i replace the original setup.exe , howener these does not work because missing a relative dll of setup.exe.I can't remember exactly the name but seem to be something like setup.dll.

Edited by Zumoc, 03 November 2009 - 10:54 AM.

Zumoc

Zumoc

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 03-July 09
"setup" problem solved.

I have uncheck :

1) Manual Install
2) Driver
3) Harware support

these remain in the iso.

Posted Image

5.09Gb size with 1Gb for pagefile.sys that i do not use whit 4Gb of ram.

Only a thing.I Do not find the sniping tool for me useful.

RHPT

RHPT

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 06-October 07
I figured out my issue wih mounting the image. I used powershell instead of the regular command line. I am using Win7 to run these procedures, so that might have something to do with it. The path is: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

atolica

atolica

ENT Surgeon

• PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Joined 15-December 05

make sure you copy over the setup.exe from the original sources folder to the vlite'd sources folder

I don't get it. I am just about to start the installation using a 7elite32 disc and I want to have it all clear before doing that.

A lot of people here are having problems with setup.exe. So liquid0624 or liquidgirl. In the 7guide32 pdf, you specify at point 20 and continue with point 21:

The concept is that vLite removed the “setup.exe” file, but you need the original “setup.exe” file or your install will not work but will fail instead. Right click the “setup.exe” file and left click to copy the file;

Which one of the setup.exe files, because there are two ?!?!?!? Setup.exe from the Source\Sources folder 238 KB (244,224 bytes) or the setup.exe from the Windows 7 DVD root size 109 KB (111,880 bytes) ???

I assume that both files need to be copied respecting their original locations. Setup.exe from Source\Sources to the Source\Sources folder and setup.exe from DVD Root to the Root of the slimmed iso, respectively.

This is really important. Some people don't have the ambition to read the whole thread to eliminate problems, then proceed in installing Windows 7 and they start having all sorts of issues, like missing cd/dvd driver error and such.

The guide also needs some retouching here and there, especially English grammar correction. This is not intended as an offense. Myself, being proficient in English, had some problems in understanding what you meant in some sections of the guide and I am sure others had problems also.

Thank you.

Atolica

Edited by atolica, 07 November 2009 - 06:36 AM.

atolica

atolica

ENT Surgeon

• PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Joined 15-December 05

"setup" problem solved.

I have uncheck :

1) Manual Install
2) Driver
3) Harware support

these remain in the iso.

Posted Image

5.09Gb size with 1Gb for pagefile.sys that i do not use whit 4Gb of ram.

Only a thing.I Do not find the sniping tool for me useful.

The snipping tool is removed by removal.bat script inside batch folder. So you have to edit it and delete "%rempacks%Microsoft-Windows-SnippingTool-Package%winsuffix%" (that is for 7lite32 script. I guess it is the same for the 64 bit script), deselect Snipping tool inside vlite and save the preset.ini file. That should take care of that. Very useful tool indeed.

Atolica

slickric21

slickric21
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 09-November 09
Hello, new user here.

I've just followed the excellent guide today, but sadly i've encounter a problem what Zumoc and atolica have talked about.

When mounting the newly created 7elite64.iso, setup would fail on the screen just after i've chosen my keyboard and languge, becuse it was telling me I had "no floppy, usb or CD/DVD driver drivers installed".
Now I definaltely followed the guide to the letter and did copy across the correct setup.exe from my orginal iso.

My original untouched .iso of home premium installs just fine.

What could it be ?
Is it related to the setup.exe files or maybe to something about what solar mentions a few post above re deleting all the files in the "sources" folder ?

edit**

Okay I was being a noob and it was the setup.exe file causing it.
In step 20 I had copied across the "setup.exe" located on the root of my DVD and not the one located within the sources folder.
Thanks to atolica for the heads up on this a few posts up

Edited by slickric21, 09 November 2009 - 08:57 AM.

Stardust

Stardust
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 13-February 09
Hi all,

I am new to the idea of shrinking windows installation via removing stuff from the setup DVD, so pls forgive me if I ask noob questions.

I am trying to shrink Windows 7 Pro installation into my 16GB Netbook, coz I need to install some other space hungray programs so I need to shrink windows down to make way for other apps.

1. I have set the image=4 in Step 7, is this the correct setting?

2. On step 9, I have only a feedback from imagex saying the mountrw was sucessful, but I didn't get any feedback about rather the tweak was installed sucessfully, is that normal?

3. Assuming everything is ok, I went on to step 10 and I get a lot of the DISM errors

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Processing 1 of 1 - An error occurred - Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package Error: 0x80070005
Error: 5
Access is denied.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

4. Again, assuming everything is ok I keep going till step 19, however, I found that the source folder is gone from windows explore as well as "dir" from the command prompt. A new folder named "Temp Burning Dir" something like that appears.

At this point I think something has gone wrong so I stopped and deleted everything and started again but the same happened.
I am doing all these on my Vista Business 32-bit desktop.

Thanks for your time!

atolica

atolica

ENT Surgeon

• PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Joined 15-December 05
@stardust

Sometimes when your windows installation is all messed up with allot of installed software it may cause such problems.

You need to test this in an almost new installed Windows. For me it works both in Windows XP SP 3 and Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit. So see that your OS is not messed up by redundant registry keys. Reg cleaners mostly don't work, so don't try that !

slickric21

slickric21
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 09-November 09
Used the 7Elite64 preset and so far my install seems to be ok.

Just one thing though i noticed the WinSAT doesn't work, I saw in another thread the disk cleanup had to be kept for it to work which I did.
Get the following error

Any ides what else not to remove to keep the WinSAT thing working

Attached Files

kabelnet

kabelnet
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-October 09
deleted

Edited by kabelnet, 13 November 2009 - 03:18 AM.

Stardust

Stardust
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 13-February 09

@stardust

Sometimes when your windows installation is all messed up with allot of installed software it may cause such problems.

You need to test this in an almost new installed Windows. For me it works both in Windows XP SP 3 and Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit. So see that your OS is not messed up by redundant registry keys. Reg cleaners mostly don't work, so don't try that !

I have tried again with a fresh install of Win7 Pro 32bit and still the same problem with vLite. So anymore suggestions?

Also, I found out a solution to the DISM errors, that I have to manually install the registry tweak again after the mount.bat, with this command:
install_wim_tweak.exe /m
then type in the path of the mount folder, then run the removal.bat then I can remove most of the Pro-package, but still having error with HomePerimum and Ultimate packages.

If at this stage I ignored the DISM error on the non-Pro edition packages and go on to vLite, vLite will complain about the version number of the source files being 0.0.0.0. Then if I load the preset and click on the apply button I get the "Rebuild One ()" option instead of the expected "Rebuild One (Professional)". If I keep going to rebuild the image the same "System can not find the specific file" error appears when the progress bar saying "Rebuilding Image (0.00MB).

So, what have I done wrong?

Edited by Stardust, 13 November 2009 - 02:22 PM.

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05

sniping tool

Sometimes I wish I had such a tool. :sneaky:

The-Pupil

The-Pupil
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09
Hi there, first of all thank you very much for this guide. Right now i'm using Win7 on my Netbook Samsung NC10..
But i think the Elite version will suit me better.

It might be a noob question but When wanted to install the Elite win7, after the language/time/keyboard settings I get the message "required dvd/cd drive device driver is missing...etc etc" I did copy the original setup.exe to the sources folder.
I didn't integrate drivers with Vlite. But I used de program 'Driver Max' to all my drivers. (i'm quite a noob when it comes to drivers) I don't know what ones i need to install with windows and what ones i need to install after windows is installed.

When I browse to my disk and select a driver it says it's not the right one...

Can anyone guide me?

Edited by The-Pupil, 15 November 2009 - 05:57 PM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Hi there, first of all thank you very much for this guide. Right now i'm using Win7 on my Netbook Samsung NC10..

It might be a noob question but When wanted to install the Elite win7, after the language/time/keyboard settings I get the message "required dvd/cd drive device driver is missing...etc etc" I did copy the original setup.exe to the sources folder.
I didn't integrate drivers with Vlite. But I used de program 'Driver Max' to all my drivers. (i'm quite a noob when it comes to drivers) I don't know what ones i need to install with windows and what ones i need to install after windows is installed.

Can anyone guide me?

which setup.exe did you copy to the sources folder? from the root of the iso or the one from the sources folder?

Stardust

Stardust
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 13-February 09

@stardust

I have tried again with a fresh install of Win7 Pro 32bit and still the same problem with vLite. So anymore suggestions?

Also, I found out a solution to the DISM errors, that I have to manually install the registry tweak again after the mount.bat, with this command:
install_wim_tweak.exe /m
then type in the path of the mount folder, then run the removal.bat then I can remove most of the Pro-package, but still having error with HomePerimum and Ultimate packages.

If at this stage I ignored the DISM error on the non-Pro edition packages and go on to vLite, vLite will complain about the version number of the source files being 0.0.0.0. Then if I load the preset and click on the apply button I get the "Rebuild One ()" option instead of the expected "Rebuild One (Professional)". If I keep going to rebuild the image the same "System can not find the specific file" error appears when the progress bar saying "Rebuilding Image (0.00MB).

So, what have I done wrong?

*bump*

The-Pupil

The-Pupil
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09

Can anyone guide me?

which setup.exe did you copy to the sources folder? from the root of the iso or the one from the sources folder?

I copied the setup.exe file which is located on the original Windows 7 DVD. (so that would be the root folder, wouldn't it?)

analyzerx

analyzerx
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16-November 09
When using the extreme version of this script (did not try the other ones) installing on VMware workstation 7 (and most likely esxi4 and workstation 6.5) the LAN drivers cannot be loaded.
Intel drivers package does not work either and manual installation will not work.

VM machines versions 6+ use by default the e1000 intel emulation. (changing to vlance or vmxnet will not help)

The solution to this is to remove (or REM) the following lines on the "removal.bat"

%rempacks%Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package%winsuffix%
%rempacks%Microsoft-Hyper-V-Guest-Integration-Drivers-Package%winsuffix%

Most likely the first one is the one that is actually needed but I was a bit lazy to check what drivers are included in the second one.
Have fun.

keywords:
"vmware workstation server 7 esxi e1000 drivers lan network"

neity

neity
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-February 06
can It import oem activation certificate do? I use this method to streamline the system, import certificate to activation, receive an error: 0x80070057 parameter is incorrect. why?????

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

I copied the setup.exe file which is located on the original Windows 7 DVD. (so that would be the root folder, wouldn't it?)

as has been mentioned many times, you need to copy the setup.exe from the sources folder, not the root!!! :blink:

The-Pupil

The-Pupil
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09

as has been mentioned many times, you need to copy the setup.exe from the sources folder, not the root!!! :blink:

I'm sorry for misunderstanding that part. I now copied the setup file from the sources folder. But still keep getting that same driver message "no floppy, usb or CD/DVD driver drivers installed"

Ofcourse i'd love not having this message.
But if anyone could help me with what kind of drivers i could install? it would solve the problem as well.

I have an Samsung NC10. and made a copy of all available drivers on my netbook with 'Driver Max'.
Or maybe Zumoc can help me? because he had the same message?

runnin17

runnin17
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
Thanks for this guide. Got my Win 7 install on my 40GB Kingston SSD and it works perfectly. I used the 7Media64 settings. I had to have media center. Cheers!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users