Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Make your own website

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts
Which one website builder is better - the Site2you.com or Dreamweaver.com ?
Thanks for the answers.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

Dreamweaver.com does not exist anymore. Adobe finally phased it out since they purchased Macromedia. Dreamweaver as an application is just fine for development, but it has its flaws and limitations like all programs do. Then again, you can even just use Notepad or some other text editor to make a website. I personally use UltraEdit to write my webpages. I used to exclusively use Dreamweaver but now only for layout testing.

Secondly, the idea of purchasing website layouts has never sounded like a good idea to me. Firstly, you can get free layouts if you search for them. If you aren't into learning how to write your own websites, you can also just get a CMS. While a lot of CMS are not free, most have a free limited option.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,993 posts
If I may, I doubt that a member asking about a website builder has the experience/knowledge to know what a CMS is. :ph34r:

Just in case:
http://en.wikipedia....nagement_system

jaclaz

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts

If I may, I doubt that a member asking about a website builder has the experience/knowledge to know what a CMS is. :ph34r:

Just in case:

jaclaz

Thanks for the help, I thoght before that all builders got the same CMS and that they are all for free :rolleyes: That why I asked a question.
Cause after visiting Site2you.com I figure out that they are not for free :)

XPerties

XPerties

MSFN OG Senior

• Patrons
  • 2,994 posts
For newbies (we were all one at some time) I think dreamweaver is best. It allows you to see the code and layout at the same time so you can get an understanding of what is what.

Personally I still use dreamweaver along with adobe PS and a few other programs.

You want some Glock with that?
★ :::: Xbox Live GamerTag = ScreamingSkulls

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts

For newbies (we were all one at some time) I think dreamweaver is best. It allows you to see the code and layout at the same time so you can get an understanding of what is what.

Personally I still use dreamweaver along with adobe PS and a few other programs.

What about other builder that I had suggest?
The main point why I like them, cause the lovely customer service 24 hours in a day.
I had asked 100 question and they give answer carefull for all my questions.

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts

What about other builder that I had suggest?
The main point why I like them, cause the lovely customer service 24 hours in a day.
I had asked 100 question and they give answer carefull for all my questions.

Any ideas guys?

Andromeda43

Andromeda43

Retired PC Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
Some use MS Word, but it saves a lot of code that bloats the size of your page.

"Front Page", from MS is specifically designed to do web pages and works just great,
giving you a true WYSIWYG. (what you see is what you get)
And, does not load down your page with lots of unneeded code.

I have two web pages and I've used "Front Page" to create both of them.
I'm not an HTML programmer, so I needed something basic and easy.

Good Luck, and Happy Holidays!

Andromeda B)
A person with experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

I totally disagree. Word adds way more bloat than Frontpage does.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
@Andromeda43: congrats on managing to pick the two very worst tools ever to make web pages.

Words' output is 100% pure garbage.

Frontpage has a long history of creating crappy code, markup that doesn't validate, stuff that only properly renders in IE and so on. Thankfully it's no longer sold (it was EOL'ed a few years ago), and it was quite overpriced for what it is.

If you really insist on WYSIWYG tools (HTML is easy to learn, even for mere mortals), then the 2 main options are Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 and MS Expression Web 3. They're modern tools that don't actually generate pure garbage.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

don't make me shiver. as a web developer, i absolutely hate when someone gives me a word doc and wants me to convert to html.
dreamweaver does an ok job at cleaning it up but it just never comes anywhere close to correct.

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

don't make me shiver. as a web developer, i absolutely hate when someone gives me a word doc and wants me to convert to html.
dreamweaver does an ok job at cleaning it up but it just never comes anywhere close to correct.

I understand as well. Currently there are people at my company working on designing a new website and they are using things like Word and FrontPage, even though we have Expression 3, Visual Studio and Dreamweaver CS4 available. I remember my CEO asking me "isn't programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver meant to make websites?" And my response was that these programs are great for those who are just learning about websites but eventually you get away from them. I guess I had that same idea when I first started out making websites too. But its hard for my co-workers to grasp that I now make websites in text editors (like Scite or UltraEdit) and only use programs like Dreamweaver to quickly determine coords for tables/divs or use their site manager to update links, etc.

And that is why the OP is getting responses from those like us about garbage code and bad programs, because we have already past the part where we require a program to make websites for us. But if you are just starting out, using any web development program is just fine to help you learn how websites work. Eventually, if you keep at it, you'll end up in our boat as well.

The real trick for us web-experienced folks is being able to handle TALKING to people without the same or relevant experience! :lol:
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts
Yes, but what go to do those guys who had never heard about HTML and other stuff?
Dont you think that is much more eathier just to buy alreade done web product?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

Yes, but what go to do those guys who had never heard about HTML and other stuff?

I never liked the idea of buying a website design or layout, or paying a company to make a website for you. Some exceptions exist, such as if you are a large company that can afford that kind of expense. Usually, that way is a lot more expensive than doing it yourself. And lastly, in my experience, once you make a website, you're never really done with it. There are always things to add, or fix if something breaks.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,993 posts
If I may, there are simple apps, nonetheless WYSIWYG, as an example this one, which besides being Freeware/Open Source, is also connected to the W3C, i.e. the people that actually try to set standards on Web design:
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Overview.html

This one is nice too:
http://www.kompozer.net/

You can do a page in Word or Frontpage allright, as long as you later trim it down removing all (or most of) the bloat, there are programs for this:
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

Validating the html is also a good idea:
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/

Also testing it in different browsers is advised, besides local testing, there are web resources, an example one:
http://browsershots.org/

jaclaz

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts

I never liked the idea of buying a website design or layout, or paying a company to make a website for you. Some exceptions exist, such as if you are a large company that can afford that kind of expense. Usually, that way is a lot more expensive than doing it yourself. And lastly, in my experience, once you make a website, you're never really done with it. There are always things to add, or fix if something breaks.

But what if I will do it buy myself with a tones mistakes?
I ll lose lots of time :sneaky:

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

I've only had experience with 1 purchased webdesign, and it also has tons of mistakes. Anyways, you can learn a lot from mistakes, we all make them.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts

I've only had experience with 1 purchased webdesign, and it also has tons of mistakes. Anyways, you can learn a lot from mistakes, we all make them.

Maybe, but also I think that you got much more experiences in question like this and anywa
y can not make that much mistake that I ll do :rolleyes:

That why I am also looking for some builders.

Pockins

Pockins

• 15 posts
Well, if there is no more need answers, I ll pick up www.site2you.com and ll let you know got good or bad they are doing website in a short time.

Dan1973

Dan1973
  • 4 posts
I like Dreamweaver. It is very powerful instrument.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

I like Dreamweaver. It is very powerful instrument.

Dreamweaver has its good parts. Now after using CS4 a little bit, I still find that it can crash when directly editing CSS files, which was a bug that goes back to Dreamweaver 2. But for me, the only things useful about it are the code coloring and the Site panel/link changer.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
There is a secret the n00bs never know: It's spelled with three magic letters: FTP

Once you get a FTP access (just look at your webhosting parameters) and installed a FTP software (just pick one of the gagizillion available for free) everything is much simplier, faster and easier than .com based editors.

Edited by Fredledingue, 22 April 2010 - 01:10 PM.

HTASoft.com

superchargedwindows9xig1.png
Still Using W98SE+++ ...Daily.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

There is a secret the n00bs never know: It's spelled with three magic letters: FTP

Once you get a FTP access (just look at your webhosting parameters) and installed a FTP software (just pick one of the gagizillion available for free) everything is much simplier, faster and easier than .com based editors.

I agree. I've been using FTP since about 2001. It still makes my head spin, recently I set up a web-server and was like "WHAT" when I did not enable FrontPage extensions to allow "magic" (aka n00b) upload feature. After this request I just told them "no, use FTP like everyone else."
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
FTP is as easy as copy-pasting files between two folders on your local hard drive.
I never used FrontPage extentions: Isn't it an FTP function included in FrontPage or is it another technology?

HTASoft.com

superchargedwindows9xig1.png
Still Using W98SE+++ ...Daily.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

FTP is as easy as copy-pasting files between two folders on your local hard drive.
I never used FrontPage extentions: Isn't it an FTP function included in FrontPage or is it another technology?

I think it is. I only used FP2000 once and couldn't stand it. Never learned too much about it. Newer FP and Impression uses FTP in the background but as "Publish" option. For some reason Microsoft made it have to use an Extension to be put in IIS for this to work.

Its also a good idea to know how to use DOS FTP, which you may have to in emergency (you are not at your own PC) situations. :thumbup
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN