Upgrading Hardware "Underneath" Windows 7 Installation...

hello

One thing I've really hated about XP and Vista was that, if I made a major upgrade to my hardware, I HAD to reinstall the whole OS, all my programs, all my settings, etc., etc....HUGE HASSLE! :(

So I was just curious whether it will be easier to do this with Windows 7? I want to get Windows 7 as soon as it comes out, but I will not have the money to upgrade my hardware for another 6-8 months, and of course by then the changes in my current hardware to the new system will be dramatic.

Please let me know, thank you! :)

My motherboard just fried last week and I had problems with Windows 7 recognizing and installing everything.

It took about 6 hours of seeing the installging drivers and it didn't install everything.

It is recommended to make clean installs, be it XP, Vista or now 7.

If you just change video, sound card or memory, you will be just fine without a clean install.

I just opened the same topic by accident,

Hello,

Is it possible to swap a major PC component such as a CPU and MOBO without reinstalling Windows (any version)? I'm pretty sure I would get a BSOD if I tried to boot an already installed OS after I replaced the mobo and the cpu. Can I maybe use the safe mode to uninstall mobo & cpu drivers and then boot windows, install the drivers for the new hardware?

Thanks.

Could this be done via safe mode? I don't really see what the big problem would be versus clean install, it's only a driver issue afaik.

Personally and this would apply to any OS, would you want left over bits from other hardware buried in windows possibly slowing things down or conflicting.

I really cant see how people say its a hassle to do a format reinstall in windows.

Jesus im in the thousands by now as i do a lot for work

The biggest part of doing a format is being organised, having all your programs / drivers and everything you need ready to go as soon as the Os hits the ground running.

I use a cmd file at work that i wrote to silent install all the programs i need and update them when its finished, so you just set it going and its done in a bout 10 mins

Its only as diffucult as you make it!!

I agree that doing reformats are a PITA. On the other hand if you are installing something like a video card and are keeping with the same chipset mfg, then if should not be a problem. If it is a sound card or NIC, I can see some old drivers causing problems. If you are talking a MAJOR upgrade of a motherboard, a format and fresh install is a no brainer unless you are using the same motherboard.