Revised: Help! How to install on W:

batigolazo

Hi again!

After five different experiments, I've made some progress, but not yet where I want to be...

How do I force the assign partition/drive letters while using an nLite CD with winnt32.exe from BartPE??

So far I have learned how to make a BartPE with my slipstreamed Win XP Pro SP3 CD. With BartPE I can boot the system and use diskpart to partition the nVRAID stripe.

I also figured out how to use add-on maker to build a dotnet35.cab file that includes a batch file to setup RunOnceEx execution of dotNet35SP1_1.03.exe from RyanVM forum. So I can make a WinLite iso using nLite, WMP11 Slipstreamer, several addons, and drivers for all my hardware.

At present, here is my sequence:

1. I boot-up, on my second optical drive, with BartPE, and I use diskpart to create three (3) primary partitions, and assign them letters, so that:

Volumes 0-2 are my three optical drives

Volume 3 is my first primary partition, BOOT, 20GB, assigned W:, and made active

Volume 4 is my second primary partition, CORE, 40GB, assigned C:

Volume 5 is my third primary partition, DATA, ~410GB, assigned D:

2. I use FORMAT /FS:NTFS to format all primary partitions

3. I load my WinLite CD on the first optical drive, F: , and open a cmd console, and CD F:\I386

4. I execute WINNT32.EXE /TEMPDRIVE:W /SYSPART:W /UNATTEND:WINNT.SIF

5. The Windows GUImode comes up and goes through the copying phase

6. The the application ends, and I think because of BartPE, I do not get the desired reboot, so I manually restart

7. Upon restart, I use the bios boot menu to select the nVRAID stripe, but I only get a blinking cursor

8. If I reboot normal, I get the "Press any key to boot from CD", after that it tries to boot from the nVRAID, then it starts the textmode Win XP install from the nVRAID, and asks me which partition to install Windows. I can see the three partitions I created, but with letters C: D: and E:, instead of what I wanted, which is W: C: and D:

I am thinking of using DetachedProgram to call diskpart.exe, with Arguments to feed a script text file, but not sure that will work...

If anybody has any tips or better ideas, I would like to avoid too many more experiments...

Hi!

I spend the better part of the last 3 days searching, bookmarking, downloading, reading, etc... :crazy: so I can install Windows XP my way :unsure: . I am listing the recipe I am about to cook. If you see any typos, mistakes, errors, or know better steps, I greatly appreciate feedback: :yes:

My goal (wish): :wacko:

Setup a RAID 0 volume as three primary partitions (NTFS) BOOT, CORE, and DATA.

I want to install Windows XP Pro on BOOT as drive W:, with "Program Files" in "C:\Program Files" (CORE), and "Documents and Settings" in "D:\Documents and Settings" (DATA).

I am not doing unattended, unless absolutely necessary, I just want to get Windows XP SP3 w/ critical updates + DirectX+.NET3.5Family+WMP11+addons on a single install CD.

Eventually, the optical drives will be assigned to X: Y: Z:

My system: (making a new system with old components)

ASUS A8N-E with AMD Athlon64 3700+. Dual DDR400 with OCZ Platinum 2x1GB sticks. Dual Seagate 7200.10 250GB connected to SATA 1 and 3. Three (3) optical drives connected to IDE. A Floppy drive (because I have several leftovers). Graphics is ATI AIW 2006 PCIe.

My recipe:

1. Update BIOS to 1013 (and NVIDIA RAID to 5.60)

2. Setup BIOS and use NVIDIA RAID to make a stripe (RAID 0) of both SATA drives

3. Use PQPM 8 on a bootable CD to create three primary partitions:

A. BOOT ~20GB

B. CORE ~40GB

C. DATA (rest of striped volume)

4. Use nLite 1.4.9.1 and boooggy's WMP11 Slipstreamer 1.4.2.0 to combine the following onto a single iso image:

A. Windows XP Pro OEM CD

B. WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe (nLite slipstreaming)

C. xable.net XUpdatePack-SP3-v1.0.21.7z + MS Update + WGAV + CalcPlus + HashTab (nLite addons)

D. GKC_WindowsInstaller_4.5.6001.22299.7z from WinCert.net/GeorgeKing (Windows Installer) (nLite addon)

E. DirectXRuntimes-200903-Addon-32.7z from RyanVM/code65536 (nlite addon)

F. dotnet35.cab (home made with dotNet35SP1_1.03.exe and a batch file to setup RunOnceEX)

G. wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe and 18 hotfixes (nlite knows WMP11 slipstreamer!!)

H. Drivers:

i. ASUS ACPI

ii. NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra AMD from Fernandos_XP_32bit_nForce_LEGACY_Remix_Pack_v5.8.zip

iii. ATI Catalyst 9.8 from 9-8_xp32_dd.exe

iv. Realtek ALC850 from Realtek's WDM_A406.zip

I. Addons: (through links in winaddons.com)

i. Firefox 3.5.3

ii. 7-Zip 4.65

iii. Notepad++ 5.5

iv. Free Download Manager 3.0.848

v. Avast Home 4.8.1290

vi. NTFS Link 2.1

vii. PC Wizard 1.871

viii. SyncBack 3.2.19

ix. ImgBurn 2.5

5. Burn iso image to bootable CD

6. Use already made and tested BartPE v3.1.10a (w/ NVIDIA SATARAID drivers) to boot system from second optical drive

7. Use diskpart to change drive letters of SATA RAID primary partitions

8. Insert burned WinLite CD onto first optical drive and run from command console

9. Whenever I get install working, then:

A. Change optical drive letters

B. Full NVIDIA nForce4

C. Full ATI Catalyst 9.8

10. Then, a couple of PCI drivers and cards (Wireless and Firewire), and a whole bunch of applications.

My biggest concern is whether the use of BartPE, diskpart, and executing whatever is in autorun.inf will work in terms of the install being done in W: (first primary partition). Next is whether everything I want to put together will fit on a single CD. Last is whether nLite will croak while making the iso image, like with Windows Installer. I'll soon find out...

Thanks in advance to every kind soul that donates their time and attention to help me with my very first custom install CD.

Cheers! :thumbup

Edited by batigolazo