NT4 Explorer on XP

EyesOfARaven

I saw this thread a long time ago:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...rt=#entry721487

I tried running Neptune 5111 explorer, Win2k explorer, Win98 explorer, Whistler 2296 explorer, and NT4 explorer on XP (SP3) with nothing but errors about ordinals and the like. What did this guy do to just get NT4 explorer to just work like that?

Thanks.

Edited by EyesOfARaven

I got it working per those instructions (the second set, ignoring everything about installing OSes and etc.) and it ran. It worked surprisingly well in some regards, and puzzlingly bad in others.

I.E.,

It showed hidden folders I've never even been aware of the existence of due to the hidden nature of them in XP, such as search folders on the desktop - these don't even show up with an attrib command.

On the other end of the spectrum, "My Documents" shows up with no title, and when clicked doesn't work, and the C:\ drive, while shown correctly, won't open when clicked on. As well, the default option for many filetypes is not "Open", but one of the other possibilities (depending on filetype). For me it was Open in VLC for all folders, heh.

Thanks though, it gave me some insights and something to do. One small step, yadda yadda.

Edit: Oh and the instructions don't work on Neptune's explorer, btw. I figured as much, but just thought I'd let you know. If anyone knows of directions for getting win2k's explorer going on XP point me to them please.

Edited by EyesOfARaven

Depends on how you want to run the NT4 Explorer in Windows. At the time of that topic, I was trying to run the NT4 Explorer as a program within the XP Explorer shell, so I could use it as a file manager rather then a complete shell replacement. To do that, I just renamed and hex-edited the NT4 explorer.exe and shell32.dll files than ran that Explorer while running XP's Explorer.

However, it sounds like you want to completely replace the shell with another. In that case, check this thread out as well. This can be done (though with a lot of difficulty). I have a screenshot I got a long time ago that clearly showed the NT4 shell running in XP.