Windows XP OEM & Pre Activation

alexFX

Hello

I have windows XP Home edition Service pack 3 installed on my PC. I want to format my hard disk and reinstall windows XP Home Service pack 3 on the same PC. Does anybody knows how i can pre activate windows? Can i back up the activation files from my current activated windows and use them to activate my new installation? Is there any other way to pre activate windows?

thanks!

Did the cd come with the PC ?

What brand is the PC ?

What flavor of XP is it ?

Preactivation responds to some conditions. If you know of any condition that is not fulfilled, that would help answering your question.

If your media correspond to the hardware and does preactivation, your new install will be pre activated.

Ummm, check this and SEARCH! It's a bit (but just a bit) more complicated than you may think.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=fi...&pid=883654

It can be done, but you have to have the correct files (for a "clean install", from your PC installation) and the correct key (can also be obtained from your own PC installation; not the COA). Just did this for a friend from his OEM Dell PC (he didn't have the full OEM backup CD, but did have the I386 folder and appropriate files, just had to get his SLP key).

And AFAIK, it's legal (your OEM-installed OpSys on original OEM hardware and creating a backup copy).

Edited by submix8c

Yes the CD came with the PC. It's windows XP Home Service Pack 2. I want to slipstream Service Pack 3 and hotfixes for a clean installation. What to you mean by "flavor o XP" ? The hardware is the same. When i install windows from this CD they are not activated and i have to go online. I searched and found that i can back up the wpa.dpl file or the OEM files in directory system 32 and copy them to the new cd but i didn't understand how. Do you know if this will work? Any other ideas?

The OEM files are only used to validate an autoactivated XP. From xwhat you say, it is not your case. For the wpa.dbl file method, I'm not sure it works. I think this was pre SP2. Plus you had to havr the same Volume identifier for your system drive (so deleteing previous Windows was ok but no format, unless you had a tool to change that identifier). Is not having go online or having to activate worth the hassle...? :ph34r:

Will this help? (the SLP method is the third one, which I was referring to. The second method is the one Ponch refers to. Having to activate is the first method no matter what.).

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/29/

Again, the method I refer to requires having the SLP key from your PC and the files indicated.

And it still requires a/"the" key and a clean install.

Find the SLP key from your PC (any good keyfinder will get it) and follow method three (my suggexted method). OR use method two (as Ponch suggests). Either one will allow for "no phoning home" (pre-activated). Bear in mind that the WPA.DBL trick is touchy since it requires replacing the one generated after installation (un-activated is initially generated).

Trust me, method three works... again I did it for a friend (a legitimate OEM install) and then slipstreamed the SP3 to it via nLite and burned his backup CD. Worked like a charm. And AFAIK perfectly legal, since it was only using what was pre-existing on his PC. BTW, you will need the complete I386 folder and the associated files/'key'.

Take your pick and search for further info. It's all 'here on MSFN" and 'out there'...

HTH

(Hope I'm right about the legality and sure someone will inform me otherwise.)

(And I can say no more on this lest I get into too many details.)

Oh, and Ponch may be right about the WPA.DBL trick as that identifier may change if re-partitioned. As I recollect, I reformatted only before the reinstall on friend's PC, so it may have still applied. Any way you slice it, it still is legal since the COA is yours as are the installation files (on the HDD/CD). And I have to agree, what diff does it make if you're legal in any case?

edit - and look also over here.

Edited by submix8c

Yes you are wright the best method is to go on line and activate windows. Do you know how many time i can do this without any change in the hardware? I tried the method with the OEMBIOS files but it doesn't seams to work. The SLP key i found on my PC is the same with COA. Do you think i did somethig wrong? Can i try something else?

Motherboard: Asus S 939, CPU: AMD Athlon 3500+ . The CD that came with the PC is a recovery CD-ROM. What do you mean by hologram disk? In the past i used this disk for a clean install but windows were not preactivated and i had to go online to activate them. Can i make windows preactivated with the CD i have? If yes how i can do this?

Not it's not a hologram disk. It is from a local shop in my country. On the CD it is written: Recovery CD-ROM and The software of this recovery cd-rom is preinstalled on my hard drive from the factory and i can use it to recover my system. For distribution with a new PC only. There is no company name like Dell, HP etc only the name of the shop i bought my PC. Do you have any idea what i can do?

Sounds like a small system-builder shop built this machine - were you provided a COA sticker (Certificate of Authenticity) with the 25-character product key on it in the materials with the computer? Don't post the key, but it should look like one of these. If it doesn't, you most likely have a non-genuine (non-legal) copy of Windows installed on that PC. From the Microsoft.com piracy site:

Hard disk loading

Sometimes, there’s nothing for you to look at and confirm that your software is genuine. You pay someone to install the software or you buy a PC with software pre-installed, but they don’t give you a CD, a COA, or a EULA. All you have is the software loaded on your hard disk drive. Unless your company has a volume license, you should always at least have a COA.

Only the *really large* OEMs have licensing agreements with Microsoft to provide you a recovery CD or recovery partition only - if this PC was not purchased from one of the very large OEM shops (and from your description of the machine, it was not) you SHOULD HAVE a hologram emblazoned Windows CD and a Certificate of Authenticity sticker affixed to the computer (or in the packaging with the CD and the user's manual that came with the PC). I want to make sure we're dealing with *authentic* Microsoft software before continuing, only because if it isn't you likely will not be able to easily (if at all) make a recovery CD from what you have. I'm trying to avoid us all wasting our time (you included) on this endeavor, so we need to know this before we continue.

As another bit of trivia..

Even Windows XP Home edition SP2 Oem can only be validated so many times ..then after that

Windows XP gives you a number code which you must refer to when you call Microsoft, which in turn they get you to punch in a new activation code number.

Really sucks for system builders or just too many bad installs ect. Whatever the case maybe.

You don't even have to change the hardware, just keep reinstalling and viola...activation limit has been reached.

I repeat..even OEM can only be validated so many times before you have to call Microsoft to get them to activate it.

If anyone is like me and does clean installs at least every 18 months, you will end up calling them every time...yeeesh

Yes my windows are genuine. When i bought my PC the manufacturer had put a COA sticker on the tower of my PC in which it's written the version of windows i have on my hard disk (Windows XP Home Edition), the name of the company i bought my PC, the product key etc. Also they gave me a small green booklet that says on the front 'For distribution with a new PC only. I want to slipstream Service Pack 3 and make my new disk preactivated. Do you know if i can do this?