It's Groundhog Day with every reboot!

bem

Have a Velocity Z15 Edge with Vista SP1. Bought it on the web thru a reseller, did not receive any docs, disks or response to my emails. Ran like a champ for 6 months, then BSOD'd on me. Used several programs to eventually recover the partitions, write partition table and MFT, repair BCD and finally boot up. I was ecstatic as everything was still there and fully accessible. Proceeded to clean up some unnecessary junk I had laying around, uninstalled some programs I had been checking out, cleared up the desktop and generally got ready to play again. Then I rebooted..

Every last thing was as it had been. Programs back, shortcuts back, every thing I had cleaned out was back right where it had been. So I went in and made sure that I owned everything, gave myself full permissions to same, then deleted the desktop junk again, this time with a DoD type shredder. Rebooted and...every last thing was as it had been. Went to MS and read till I was blind on BCD, thinking that the problem was there. Comprehended about a 1/4 of it, retained less, got nowhere. Not an experienced programmer. At this point I would be happy just to recover from the Recovery partition and move on. Problem is that 'no disk' thing.

I am open to anything that doesn't involve the word 'buy', as the economy bit me on the butt a few months ago. I have the time to work on it at the moment and I follow instructions well when I can comprehend them. I see this as a learning experience, as long as the thing works right on the other end. In the meanwhile, it's Groundhog Day again!! :wacko:

If everything is returning to what it was, are you booting from the hidden Manufacturers recovery partition each time? I have never heard of that happening, but seems the only logical explanation

Make sure you have hidden files displayed and then if you go to COMPUTER do you see a smaller recovery partitition (approx 4 Gb)? If so, note the drive letter and go into the BIOS and check what is the first boot priority.

Run

CHKDSK /R/F

To make sure nothing strange going on

Run sfc /scannow

Do that from an elevated command prompt

see what that shows

Before deleting anything in you cleanup, make a couple opf reboots and make sure it is doing that cleanly.

Sorry to take so long getting back. File check took freaking forever on 750gb hd and disk checker never stopped. Finally turned it off in the wee hours as the lighted case was bothering the missus. The chkdsk ran to completion I don't know how many times and still wants to run at boot. I'm inclined to just let it run till it quits, if ever.

No, there is nothing hidden at this point. System on C:, Recovery on D:. Bios doesn't reference partitions, BCD clearly calls for C:, and I have begun to question whether there is a backup image on D: anymore as it is only holding .35gb total.

Oddly enough, the sfc log and changes to BCD seem to be the only things to survive a reboot that I have found. If chkdsk has a log file I have never found it. Otherwise, it's Groundhog Day again!

At this point I would gladly run recovery from D: if it is possible. F11 doesn't get it, the generic Vista Repair disk can't go there and I know no one that has a full OS disk that I can borrow (very rural). As far as repairing the install I have, let me say that I have a wide array of utilities that allow me to provide almost any information that might be useful to any willing soul, from macro to micro. In the meantime, I'm going to reboot and let chkdsk do as it pleases until I get some other direction. I've pretty well hit my limit without just mucking it up.

Thanks, Kotuku, your efforts are appreciated.

If CHKDSK continues after every reboot, that may have encountered another problem, where a dirty flag (to tell it to run CHKDSK) is not cleared.

You can google for a fix if this continues.

And you are right, the so called recovery disk doesn't seem big enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put closure on things...

I never could find a reason for the Portrait of Dorian Vista, nor a cure. Managed to migrate all data off the hard drive, wiped and reinstalled with a new copy of Vista Ultimate. Not only does everything work quickly and well but an onboard LAN that I thought was dead for 6 months came right up and works like a champ. Just another thing I don't understand. I'll add it to my collection...

Thanks for trying. It was appreciated.

bem