Win9x running on top of Linux

helpdesk98

I am a Linux & Win9x enthusest and I was wondering if it was possible to create a mesh of the two operating systems? My Idea is that you take and open source Linux distribution make it the base OS then create a filter for windows9x then put the 9x system right on top of the filter. My resining for this is Linux has support for many more drivers ect. & you could run your older OS on more powerful machines. Were the 9x OS can not go Linux can. This is just an idea at this point. I was just wondering if it was possible to do this.

I will add more to this topic later I didn't realize what time it was got to go.

WINE emulates the environment of windows inside of linux.

Well, technically speaking, not strictly exact.

WINE is a recursive acronym for WINE Is Not an Emulator:

http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Wine_Myths

WINE allows support for Windows applications inside Linux, by giving it a replacement for the Windows API, it doesn't really emulate Windows, it provides an alternate environment where Windows programs (some of them) can run.

jaclaz

linux could help win9x by the fact source code is free . some people could try to make some drivers .

more and more if you know that they are LARGELY BETTER than those of cards maker :thumbup

here is an exemple with ati :whistle:

AMD R600/700 2D Performance: Open vs. Closed Drivers

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...00_2d&num=1

i think ati could send them some money for their great work

I am a Linux & Win9x enthusest and I was wondering if it was possible to create a mesh of the two operating systems? My Idea is that you take and open source Linux distribution make it the base OS then create a filter for windows9x then put the 9x system right on top of the filter.

There is a window manager that behaves like standard Win95:

http://www.csg.is.titech.ac.jp/~kourai/qvwm/index-en.html

Unfortunately the lack of development means you'd have your work cut out for you if you wanted to implement a distro with it. I tried it out about a year ago and discovered it was unable to see most of my applications in its start menu because the Linux Standard Base (LSB) and freedesktop.org have moved on quite a bit since QVWM was last worked on. I was still able to run applications if I started a terminal and ran them from there though, like in the older days of Win3.x

If someone were to start hacking away and reworking the file system so it behaved more like standard Win9x and restructuring the QVWM so that it was compatible with freedesktop.org standards for post application install menus, perhaps with Linux from Scratch...if they were willing to do a LOT of work, plus combined with WINE... You might have something!

Or you could just install Reactos...

--iWindoze