deploying Windows 7 / Vista thru WDS

We are now using Windows Deployment Services and Winpe and sysprep locally to deploy the WindowsXp images.

We want to step over to Windows 7 soon. With Windows 7 i can use a .xml file to automate the installation (exept for the computer name).

Then i still use sysprep. But within the .xml file i have read that automate can be done in the .xml.

How can i arrange the user profiles in the .xml file so that every new user that logs in gets this profile?

How does Windows 7 handles the default user profile? because under c:\users\ there is a default and a default user profile..

• 2 weeks later...

We are now using Windows Deployment Services and Winpe and sysprep locally to deploy the WindowsXp images.

We want to step over to Windows 7 soon. With Windows 7 i can use a .xml file to automate the installation (exept for the computer name).

Then i still use sysprep. But within the .xml file i have read that automate can be done in the .xml.

How can i arrange the user profiles in the .xml file so that every new user that logs in gets this profile?

How does Windows 7 handles the default user profile? because under c:\users\ there is a default and a default user profile..

Nobody an idea?

Nobody an idea?

1. Windows 7 does use an XML file (autounattend.xml) you can edit this file within the WAIK which is free for download from MS

2. You don't have to resysprep your image unless you want to install applications prior to deployment. the WIM file is already sysprepped and ready to go.

3. you will want to use the Default profile for any changes you want to use for any new user to receive. the Default User folder is a redirct (symbolic link) to the default folder.

Nobody an idea?

1. Windows 7 does use an XML file (autounattend.xml) you can edit this file within the WAIK which is free for download from MS

2. You don't have to resysprep your image unless you want to install applications prior to deployment. the WIM file is already sysprepped and ready to go.

3. you will want to use the Default profile for any changes you want to use for any new user to receive. the Default User folder is a redirct (symbolic link) to the default folder.

So with windowsxp it was nessecairy to give the client a new sid and everything but this is not nessecairy anymore with Windows 7? With Windowsxp it was also that the first logon user received the administrator profile. The second user the default profile, this is also gone, the first user gets the default profile directly?

Windows XP's setup used the old NT setup engine, and you had to actually install XP from the flat source files, configure it, and then sysprep/reseal it. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are already images, sysprep'ed, from Microsoft, right on the DVD. If you want to edit an image, you can do the same as you did with XP, or you can use any of the myriad tools Microsoft makes available to edit Vista and/or Windows 7 images - WAIK, WDS, and MDT. In fact, if you're planning on *making* images to redeploy to your organization, I strongly suggest investigating whether or not MDT 2010 will meet your needs, as it likely will.

Windows XP's setup used the old NT setup engine, and you had to actually install XP from the flat source files, configure it, and then sysprep/reseal it. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are already images, sysprep'ed, from Microsoft, right on the DVD. If you want to edit an image, you can do the same as you did with XP, or you can use any of the myriad tools Microsoft makes available to edit Vista and/or Windows 7 images - WAIK, WDS, and MDT. In fact, if you're planning on *making* images to redeploy to your organization, I strongly suggest investigating whether or not MDT 2010 will meet your needs, as it likely will.

Thx. But the images from Micrsoft are standard images. After configuring Windows and installing basic software the image is done. Then that image and several different install images thru the organisation , are rolled out to clients when needed.

I am using WDS and Winpe/Imagex as the tools and it took me a while to go to the problems that came with these tools (driver problems whith the Dell Optiplex and Latitude clients), so i am not waiting to try another tool like MDT2010....

When i configure a install image .wim from Microsoft so installing software and configuring windows, and then run sysprep to give it a new sid, then that also ok i believe. But if this isn't nessecairy anymore..

It isn't, but tools like MDT allow you to have drivers, updates, software, and images all separate and install similar to how XP setup worked (install Windows down, then integrate any drivers and updates into the image during WinPE setup, then reboot and install software - reimage to a WIM if the task sequence is configured to capture after deploy). It's worth looking into, although if you've got something working properly I wouldn't switch unless there's something different or a better process than what you currently use.