Browsing through the system calendar cause some sort of real-time chan

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

This happens more often then I'd like.

Outlook 2k is my e-mail client. Let's say I'm responding to an e-mail, and I need to look at next-month's calendar. So I bring up the system clock/calendar (you know, double-click the clock in the system tray). I'll change the month just to see what the dates are. I don't hit apply (I'm just browsing). I'll leave the calendar up and finish typing my e-mail, and then send it. Then I'll close the clock.

Later I'll discover that the "Send" date for my e-mail is next month (or what-ever month of the calendar I had open at the time). Depending on what email client the recipient is using, it might cause some confusion on their end when the message lands in their inbox.

Why did simply looking at the system calendar, and changing the month (but not hitting "apply") cause outlook to respond as if I had changed the system date? This behavior does not happen on XP systems running Outlook 2k.

Is this a flaw in Win-98, or only the combination 98/Outlook 2k?

Does the act of simply browsing through the system calendar cause some sort of real-time change to the system date?

Originally (win 95), double clicking on the system clock brought up the UI for changing the system time. When you changed the system time on it, you were resetting the system clock. When MS realized that lots of people were using it as a calendar to look up dates, they said "oops" and issued a fix (in win 98) that made it so that the time was not reset unless you clicked apply. I know this because Raymond Chen wrote an article about this a couple of years ago; searching his Old New Thing blog will probably turn it up.

It looks like you have just discovered that their "fix" was a hack that reverted to the original time when exiting the dialog, and what is actually happening when you page through the calendar is that the system time is still being changed every time you change the month on the calendar.

So, if you're going to browse through the calendar while writing an email, what you need to prevent this problem is an actual stand-alone calendar app.

So, if you're going to browse through the calendar while writing an email, what you need to prevent this problem is an actual stand-alone calendar app.

The best stand-alone calendar app is Calendar 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/Calendar.html

HTH

Edited by lightning slinger