if anyone has IE6 files from any other newer-than-98SE operating systems (except XPSP3, I have a box running that) they would also be appreciated. The builds of IE6 I'd like to get for this project because I feel they'd be of use (all with latest updates and SPs applied to OS/browser preferred):
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000
- Windows Server 2003
I need someone to upload (somewhere, mediafire maybe) their entire (preferably fully updated) Internet Explorer folder from each of the above operating systems. In addition to this, the following DLLs from system32:
If any of these can't be found, don't worry about them.
Thank you, and with your help, we can build a better IE6.
For archival purposes, here's what I've found out so far:
- MSHTML.DLL is the Trident engine itself, and anything post-2800 doesn't seem to want to run on 98 due to major file changes.
- WININET.DLL is most likely a networking interface DLL, and the NT versions don't work with 98. I haven't tried ME's one, but I'd wager it will improve performance a tiny bit.
- HMMAPI.DLL somehow is related to pulling registry information. Without it the About box bugs, displays no information, and won't close. Amusingly this isn't used on XP's version to get the registry information, even though it's sometimes present in the folder, it is doing nothing afaik.
- SHDOCVW.DLL has the same post-2800 problems as MSHTML.
- BROWSELC.DLL is probably related to browsing the local FS.
- BROWSEUI.DLL - I have no idea what this does, but is probably related to the UI. If you use a post-2800 build of this file it will cause IE to just kinda... not open... but it displays no error.
Edited by EyesOfARaven, 05 October 2009 - 01:30 PM.