WPI Classic and WPI 7.7 - do they play nice?

I use WPI 7.7 for my XP AIO-DVD but I also have W2K on there. I'd like to use WPI Classic but how do I convert the WPI 7.7 config.js into one that WPI Classic will be happy with? I'm guessing that a quick Ruby script could cope with the changed cmds[] vs cmd[n], rip out bit64[], configs[] and texti[]. Is there anything else?

I know that I'll probably have issues with JSCRIPT and perhaps some of the built-in commands.

Hopefully someone's way ahead of me and solved this problem :hello:

Ideally I'd like to regenerate the WPIC config.js automatically from the WPI config.js (rather than having to maintain two files forever) but failing that a one-off initial conversion seems to be the least painful way to go.

Thanks

Ummmmmm.....................you may want to wait on making a script to convert down. The config.js file will be getting a make over for next version. I am going to start using JSON. Someone had asked way back if the cmds could be listed on seperate lines for easier reading/editing, they will be in JSON.

And no, it will not be easy to down grade and you will lose a ton of functions/commands; all {JSCRIPT} for example. I don't support WPIC, I just do small stuff for Kel once in a while for it.

Ummmmmm.....................you may want to wait on making a script to convert down.

And no, it will not be easy to down grade and you will lose a ton of functions/commands; all {JSCRIPT} for example. I don't support WPIC, I just do small stuff for Kel once in a while for it.

I don't know ho wbad losing functions would be - I don't use that many different ones and converting the ones I do use might not be so bad. Anyway, how hard would it be for WPI Classic to support at least some of the {JSCRIPT} stuff :rolleyes:

The config.js file will be getting a make over for next version. I am going to start using JSON. Someone had asked way back if the cmds could be listed on seperate lines for easier reading/editing, they will be in JSON.

Now that is interesting. I've never used JSON, but if I understand it correctly the reading and writing just happens. So if someone went and added some additional fields (say to track which start menu folder stuff should be moved to, which quick launch shortcuts to wipe etc.) then you'd never know and it would automatically appear in each object and be preserved? That would be quite useful as I've got information in too many places right now (config.js for WPI, an INI file to feed into my menu massaging AutoIt script and so on) so consolidating it all somewhere would be cool.

JSON is really just embedded arrays. Yes, it is very easy to add/remove items, but you still have to know what you're doing. Adding items in the Config Wizard will still be the same, just how I use it internally will be different. The loading code for config.js will drop to like 3 lines instead of the ~100 lines now. Saving won't be any different/easier code wise. The good part is that it will be super easy to update the config wizard code to handle it.

I am already using JSON for the new Network Wizard. Works great. I'm glad I tried it out. I will also be using JSON in the installer, as well.