How do I set up shares?

LqDFx

What I want to do it share a folder with my family's music library on the network. I have it hosted on my new Win7 machine and want to share it without giving out my password to them. What are my options? The other pc's on the network are Vista (3) and XP(1).

I don't password my user accounts on my home computers, so I had to change a setting in group policy on all machines that share anything so I don't have to use passwords at all.

In XP or Win7:

gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only (set this to disabled on all host machines).

This will allow you to share folders and printers without the need to password accounts on the host machines, no rebooting or simple file sharing needed.

or in .reg file form:

;Group Policy - Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only
;Essential for file/printer sharing without needing passworded accounts on host machines
;0 = disabled
;1 = enabled
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa]
"limitblankpassworduse"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"limitblankpassworduse"=dword:00000000

This should work on Vista as well.

If you don't want to remove the password from your user account, then set up a limited user account and share from there, having each connecting machine log in with that account's credentials.

And don't even bother trying to use Homegroup, it's not compatible with XP. To network an XP machine with Vista or Win7 you need to install the Link Layer Topology Responder on the XP machines.

Note, this requires WGA to download, but you can google around and find it elsewhere if need be.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

Then you can network your machines and share folders and printers from Win 7 just like it's done in XP.

*I'm told XP doesn't need LLTD to be networked with Vista/Win7 machines, but it worked for me.

Edited by SyntaxError

Well I decided not to network my XP machine, it is my sons and we have since took away network and internet access from him for going to bad sites.

To change the need for passwords for share I disabled the "Password Protected Sharing" in Networking and Sharing Center. Am I leaving the network open by doing this? I do not have Wi-Fi on in my network.

Thank you for all the info.

• 1 month later...
When you add computers to a windows 7 homegroup it automatically lets you share out music, you shouldnt have to do anything other than add the computers to a home group.

Unfortunately, HomeGroup is not compatible with any OS except Win7, so it's completely useless unless a network is comprised of all Win7 machines.

Also HomeGroup was meant for average non-computer literate people who don't know how to manually set up a network.

Well I decided not to network my XP machine, it is my sons and we have since took away network and internet access from him for going to bad sites.

To change the need for passwords for share I disabled the "Password Protected Sharing" in Networking and Sharing Center. Am I leaving the network open by doing this? I do not have Wi-Fi on in my network.

Thank you for all the info.

Since you don't have wireless in your network, you are fine.

Edited by SyntaxError