Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Mr Jinje DISM Tool™

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

You are using the Key from the Product Stocker (COA), not the generic SLP Key from OEM.

This is a clean install of windows 7 homepremium x64 retail, with product key on the laptop cover, phone activation. No chance to get the activation file and put them on dvd? :(

this will back it up and yes you can inject them
http://forums.mydigi...tolkens restore
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09
Yep, use Token Restore in your situation. That will preserve your sticker based activation.

If that is not good enough, the only alternative might be to restore the bloatware factory install that came on the machine when you bought it. But since you already did clean install + activated with your sticker key, it will be much quicker to just use Token Restore instead.

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10
OK, everything was going along swimmingly.

I mounted the source that was on a bootable flash drive.

I added drivers and updates (packages).

I committed the changes.

I went to the mount folder, expecting to see the modified installation files/folders, and instead saw what appeared to be an installation of Windows [folders: Perflogs, Program Files, Windows]

What do I do with THAT?

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09
Let me get this straight, you were expecting to see an installation of Windows, but what you in fact saw was an installation of Windows. LOL, "These aren't the droids files I'm looking for". Quit playing jedi mind tricks on yourself. :crazy: and FYI, those are the files your looking for.

What you can do with them is Copy/Paste any files you want into the system. Any changes you make in the mount will be a part of the next install. (after you commit changes) Maybe you want to delete useless shortcuts from the start menu, or copy a portable application into the Program Files folder, I dont know, get creative.

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10
Sorry to be dense, but what I was expecting (apparently unjustifiably) was to see in the Mount folder something very similar to the source [folders: boot, efi, sources, support] with which I could use to make a new install disk.

I originally found links to this thread after finding out that Vlite doesn't work for Windows 7. I thought Dism would be an alternative to Vlite.

[ What you can do with them is Copy/Paste any files you want into the system. Any changes you make in the mount will be a part of the next install. (after you commit changes) ]

In the context of what I was expecting/trying to do, I have no idea what this means.

I guess I was expecting a vlite apple and got a C: drive orange.

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09
C: drive oranges, now your catching on, when you mount your WIM the files inside the mount folder are actually your C: drive. Any changes you make will show up in your installation as the new C: drive. That's the secret, Install.wim is the C: drive.

Not sure told you it looks like the DVD sources folders, but it doesn't.

Apples, Oranges, I'd rather pluck a Peach :w00t: any day of the week.

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10
I guess I am at square one. How to make a new install disc with the updates and drivers. I thought I could use Dism.

Gremo

Gremo

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 24-May 05
 Hey thank you for helping I'm now able to integrate some drivers of my notebook (nvidia, audio, wifi) using DISM. Look at my guide (it's in Italian, but its quite clear) here. I'm still looking for an help on Intel Chipset Installation Utility and LManager (keyboard/fn buttons for acer and some packard bell notebook). Also still looking for a simple way of backup and restore activation!

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10
Oh great!. First Greek, now Italian. :wacko:

Gremo

Gremo

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 24-May 05

Oh great!.  First Greek, now Italian.  :wacko:

JUST look at the "code" sections in that topic, it's really quite simple. 

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10
Somehow . . . thru this thread . . . I have entered an alternate universe :}

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09
Mr.Jinje the man!:)

How bout some kind of update for your tool?
Some kind of remake of GUI and add other "tools" using dism?

Not sure what that could be tho but i guess having a small app instead of using WAIK is a good thing.

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09

I guess I am at square one. How to make a new install disc with the updates and drivers. I thought I could use Dism.

All this can do is edit your install.wim and boot.wim files. This cannot make you a new install disk, after you integrate your drivers/updates using DISM, then use PowerISO or OSCDIMG.exe from the WAIK to create a new ISO.

I'm still looking for an help on Intel Chipset Installation Utility and LManager (keyboard/fn buttons for acer and some packard bell notebook).

Easy way is to install them into a live OS, then use something like Driver Magician Lite to export them. Here is the link for the portable version.
http://www.drivermag...PortableDML.zip

If the LManager is an application and not a driver it may not work, but you will definitely be able to export your chipset drivers from a live OS

Edited by MrJinje, 17 March 2010 - 10:45 PM.

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10

All this can do is edit your install.wim and boot.wim files. This cannot make you a new install disk, after you integrate your drivers/updates using DISM, then use PowerISO or OSCDIMG.exe from the WAIK to create a new ISO.

I guess there is no way around downloading the WAIK. Although PowerISO will let you open a .wim and extract the contents, there is no option to save in .wim format.

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09
Let it be known that DISM Tool™ is not for people looking for something that can replace vLite. There are plenty of other stickies with user friendly GUI's attempting to clone vLite's interface/capabilities. If you wait until Saturday, Bensam56 is releasing the next version of 7Lite, it is more of a vLite replacement than DISM Tool™

and FYI. Use PowerISO to make your ISO, not edit your WIM. What you do is open your .ISO file with PowerISO, then you dragon-drop your modified WIM (the one you mentioned in your first post) into your ISO and save as a new ISO file.

Posted Image

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10
Mr. Jinje:

The whole problem I have been having is how to stuff these modified folders back into a .wim image file. I don't remember where I read this, but on my way here, I seem to recall reading that having/using Dism meant that you did not have to install the Waik. From my experience so far, I haven't found any alternative yet to downloading and installing the Waik.

Since I have been working on this since LAST Saturday, I guess waiting a couple more days won't matter. :wacko:

I do appreciate the DISM Tool™, so thanks for that. :D

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09

Mr. Jinje:

The whole problem I have been having is how to stuff these modified folders back into a .wim image file.

Your kidding me right ? The way to "stuff" the modified files back into the Install.wim is by hitting the Commit button. Which I am pretty sure you mention doing in your very first post. My bad for not knowing what you were talking about, but at first glance I thought you were already done.

I added drivers and updates (packages).
I committed the changes.

So my guess is they are already stuffed. Did you try re-building your ISO with the modified Install.wim, that is the next step.

Edited by MrJinje, 18 March 2010 - 01:09 PM.

Makave2345

Makave2345

• 14 posts
  • Joined 06-January 06

Mr. Jinje:

The whole problem I have been having is how to stuff these modified folders back into a .wim image file. I don't remember where I read this, but on my way here, I seem to recall reading that having/using Dism meant that you did not have to install the Waik. From my experience so far, I haven't found any alternative yet to downloading and installing the Waik.

Since I have been working on this since LAST Saturday, I guess waiting a couple more days won't matter. :wacko:

I do appreciate the DISM Tool™, so thanks for that. :D

If your wanting to install drivers, updates, and software addons, and also create your finsished .iso give this a try...

http://www.wincert.n...-toolkit-06015/

And you can check out here for all the software addons I (*Reaper*) and others have made for this program.

http://www.wincert.n...toolkit-addons/

rasty

rasty
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10

Your kidding me right ?

Of COURSE I was kidding! NO-ONE could be that lame! :whistle:

Nice talking to you'all. I have to go change my name now. :blink:

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04
followed, and injected 35 updates and also 19 drivers all reported at 100% suc, then committed and un-mounted copy install.wim backto dvd over write old file, and re-installed under virtual pc, not one of the updates installed nor can i see any drivers. so what has gone wrong i wonder - maybe an issue with commit??>
:wacko:

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09

followed, and injected 35 updates and also 19 drivers all reported at 100% suc, then committed and un-mounted copy install.wim backto dvd over write old file, and re-installed under virtual pc, not one of the updates installed nor can i see any drivers. so what has gone wrong i wonder - maybe an issue with commit??>

Which image did you mount ? My guess is you mounted image #1, but actually meant to mount image #4 or #5 (ultimate x64,x86 respectively).

x86 default to this.

starter =1
home basic =2
home premium =3
pro=4
ultimae=5

x64 is different. (because it has no starter image)

home basic =1
home premium =2
pro=3
ultimae=4

To verify this, try installing either starter/homebasic into your VM and see whether or not the drivers/updates worked on that image. If yes, then just repeat the process on the proper image (for ultimate it is either #4 or #5) and you will be good to go.

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04

Which image did you mount ? My guess is you mounted image #1, but actually meant to mount image #4 or #5 (ultimate x64,x86 respectively).

x86 default to this.

starter =1
home basic =2
home premium =3
pro=4
ultimae=5

x64 is different. (because it has no starter image)

home basic =1
home premium =2
pro=3
ultimae=4

To verify this, try installing either starter/homebasic into your VM and see whether or not the drivers/updates worked on that image. If yes, then just repeat the process on the proper image (for ultimate it is either #4 or #5) and you will be good to go.

I see i selected 1 so not seen in installed version which is 5 - so sorry :wub: :wub: :whistle: , maybe put this info on post 1?

Edited by ner, 04 April 2010 - 11:28 AM.

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04
Update

Selected the correct index number = 5 ran to incluide 35 updates and 19 drivers and works. :thumbup

However I am going to use the prefered method of placing the drivers within OEm and call them through the xlm file, as it easier to update and manage the drivers going forward. But a really good tool, just some feedback for you by pressing the "More Info" button you get an empty folder called "DISM" on your desktop not sure what this is all about.

But never the less a good tool! :yes:

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04

Update

Selected the correct index number = 5 ran to incluide 35 updates and 19 drivers and works. :thumbup

However I am going to use the prefered method of placing the drivers within OEm and call them through the xlm file, as it easier to update and manage the drivers going forward. But a really good tool, just some feedback for you by pressing the "More Info" button you get an empty folder called "DISM" on your desktop not sure what this is all about.

But never the less a good tool! :yes:

now, it would be great to have this tool updated, so that you can insert drivers and updates into all 4 images..... please? :whistle:

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09

now, it would be great to have this tool updated, so that you can insert drivers and updates into all 4 images..... please? :whistle:

That can be done with a simple batch script. Here is the link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users