Repaired Windows > downgraded MCE

I recently found the problem with a new computer I built, which was the original motherboard (VIA P4M900-M4) BIOS. Everything continued crashing, including the OS (both Linux and Windows). So, today I upgraded the BIOS and it now runs like a charm.

The remaining issue at hand...is that before upgrading the BIOS I tried many other solutions, including running the repair option from the Windows XP MCE 2005 disk. So, now the computer is downgraded to Win XP MCE 2002 (instead of 2005), though Media Center has no obvious problems as yet. But, when trying to install updates for Media Center, particularly the Media Center Extender, is states that I must have version 2005 to install the Extender. Is there any way around this, without reinstalling Windows?

OK, I just looked at the Windows Update site tool, which displays that I need to, again, install all updates for Win XP MCE 2005. Oddly, the updates still appear in my Add/Remove Programs list though.

Tried to run updates...get an error (I guess they are still installed but not recognized). The problem here is that I still cannot install Media Center Extender.

Edited by bguidry