XP Pro X64 not seeing HDD

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Windows XP Professional X64 Edition from USB because my optical drive is broken. I've tried about a dozen different programs and guides and so far only USB_MultiBoot_10 and WinSetupFromUSB have gotten me anywhere.

I can get into Windows setup but when it asks me which partition I would like to install Windows on it only shows the partition(s) on my flash drive, and nothing from my hard drive.

I thought maybe the ISO I'm using was corrupt but I was able to install it into VMware without a problem. Also, I've formatted and tried both WinSetupFromUSB and USB_MultiBoot_10 multiple times with the same result.

Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Any and all help is appreciated,

CorsairFreak

P.S. if this has been solved already by someone I sincerely apologize. I attempted to use the search feature but it always took me to the MSFN forums front page.

Hey guys thanks for responding,

Yes my harddrive is SATA and actually about an hour after I posted this topic I read somewhere that I need to switch the SATA mode in my bios to IDE, which I did and my HDD showed up in Windows Setup, but when I went to load the 2nd part of the setup, the GUI part, it wouldn't load. I'm thinking it's because the MicroSD card I'm booting from doesn't have fast read\write speeds. So I'm using my MP3 player now and I'll try that in a few minutes.

The weird thing is, when I installed a generic Windows XP SP3 version via USB a couple weeks ago I had no problem with my BIOS SATA mode. I looked at my manufacturer's website (HP) and they only have drivers for Windows XP 32-bit, and Vista (32-bit & 64-bit). I wonder if it's even worth install Windows XP Pro X64 if I'm going to have to switch my bios to IDE everytime I want to log-in to it.

What does "wouldn't load" mean exactly? How far did you go?

Switching SATA mode to IDE is a workaround of integrating the proper SATA drivers. Default Windows does not support SATA. So you either use 3rd party drivers, or use IDE and Windows' ones.

You can also switch to SATA after Windows has been installed:

http://www.msfn.org/board/enable-ahci-inte...xp-t109450.html

The generic XP 32 bit must have had SATA drivers integrated, or you were in IDE mode.

ilko_t,

When I got to the part where I had to load the second part of the setup the screen would go black, and stay black. I had to turn my PC off by pressing and holding the power button.

You'll have to bare with me because this is all an experiment. This computer originally came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 pre-installed on it. I just figured that since it came with 32-bit XP, and not 64-bit Vista that the computer was 32-bit. But, the other day I was surfing the web and saw that my processor, an Intel Pentium D 920, was actually 64-bit, which I confirmed in CPU-Z when I saw "EM64T" in the instructions category. I then ran a 64-bit Ubuntu Linux live-cd (usb) without a problem so I concluded that my PC is indeed 64-bit compatible. So now, I'm trying to install XP X64 from USB because my optical drive is broken.

Earlier this year I re-installed XP 32-bit by means of WinSetUpFromUSB and I forgot that I had to slipstream Intel Matrix Storage Controller drivers into the installation via nLite. So now, I'm going to slipsteam the Intel X64 drivers into the XP X64 installation and try to install in RAID\AHCI mode.

I believe the first time I attempted to install it failed because I was using IDE mode. Not to mention that it took almost an hour to get past step 1 of Windows Setup and usually it takes just a few minutes. So either it will install properly this time in RAID\AHCI mode, or my PC somehow isn't 64-bit and that's why setup freezes at step 2.

Sorry for rambling, I really hope this works...

• 1 month later...