Surround in Vista

ND22

I got a problem with winamp and WMP in vista: all I got is stereo when I listen to music (mp3) and some games such as Battlefield 2! In XP I had all the time surround in games and music (I know that was not true surround but WMP played very well and I could listen with all 6 boxes).

I am aware of the fact that Vista features a completely rewritten audio stack and doesn't support direct sound; maybe somebody found a solution. I didn't post in the hardware section because I think this is a vista-related problem.

I used the latest realtek drivers and everything is setup well; in some games like COD4 I do have surround!

Yes, I tested all the speakers, they are all ok and everything is setup fine; I also tried the Vlc, latest version, and it doesn't work, only the 2 front speakers are active when I played some music.

Edited by ND22

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...1c-05638dae53fc

couple of solutions in this thread, if you have not already found and tried them.

but I went into control panal > Sound and clicked configure button. I then setup my speakers fo 5.1 which they all tested fine. I then went to control panel > sound and clicked the properties button and the enancements tab and selected speaker fill. This then sends stereo sound to front and rear speakers if the output is only stereo
But then I Downloaded program called: SRS AUDIO SANDBOX

and get the 5.1 is working!

It works, it works perfectly for music and movies! Thanks a lot iamtheky. I play just now a very old queen concert and I have "surround".

The problem however remains with games; for example in BF2 I can hear in all boxes but not true 3d sound, they just sound the same!

Edited by ND22