Problem Installing Card Reader [Solved]

Dave-H

Thanks Den!

:)

Tried all that.

The first attempt was a non-starter because I'd installed the working Windows 98 to a different folder to my normal installation (C:\Windows instead of C:\WIN-98).

I therefore had to do the whole re-installation of Windows 98 to the new drive again.

Did I say "D'oh!" before? Well I'll say it again!

Anyway, after all that, and making the working installation as identical as possible to the faulty installation, I tried what you suggested.

It all worked, and the system did start OK with the system.dat file from the working installation, but, exactly the same result!

Still a resource error on the sound hardware.

:no:

Nothing had changed at all in Device Manager.

So, what now?

I think this just confirms that it isn't a problem with anything in the registry.

So, what now?

I think this just confirms that it isn't a problem with anything in the registry.

Sure. But now we've got a working installation to play with, so let's go ahead and do it.

During the next several steps, let's keep the frankenstein SYSTEM.DAT in the old installation.

This procedure is to be performed entirely from 2k:

Rename C:\WIN-98\SYSTEM32 from your old installation to C:\WIN-98\SYSTEM33

Copy over from the new, working, installation C:\WIN-98\SYSTEM32.

(remember it contains C:\WIN-98\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS, so this will bring over a

full new set of WDM drivers).

Now reboot into Win 98, test it and report the results. In case it works, now we proceed to compare SYSTEM32 with SYSTEM33 and find out the file(s) that are messing things up.

Well, I'm pleased to be able to report significant progress!

:thumbup

I did as you suggested Den, and ran up the system with the System32\Drivers folder files and system.dat file from the working installation.

The system started OK, and the sound worked!

I then tried just restoring the original system.dat from the non-working installation.

The resource allocation error on the sound hardware in Device Manager did not reappear, all seemed to be well, but the sound was not working.

This was the interim condition that I had before, where the sound failed but with no apparent device errors.

I then tried reinstalling the driver for the sound, using the latest version, and the error reappeared in Device Manager!

I suspect this is what happened before, and the device error actually first appeared when I tried reinstalling the driver.

Uninstalled the driver, even used Driver Cleaner on it, reinstalled the old driver from the motherboard installation CD (which I had used on the dummy Windows 98 install) still no joy.

Went back to the "working" system.dat, and it all came good again.

This is still using the very old version of the sound driver from the motherboard installation CD.

I then wondered if the latest driver in fact doesn't work with Windows 98, despite the fact that the download page says that it does.

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloads...p;GetDown=false

Anyway, I'll look at that later.

I then merged the SOFTWARE key from the non-working system into the working system.

That still worked, apart from a few error messages on start-up about missing files.

That I fixed by merging the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD] key from the non-working to the working system.

So, I think I'm nearly back to a system which is getting close to as it was before, but with working sound!

I've still got a few drivers to sort out, and I'll have to check that all my software applictaions are still working properly, but given time that can and will be sorted.

Of course, that still hasn't answered the question as to what caused the problem in the first place!

Until I know that, I'll always be worrying that it will happen again.

At least if it does, I will have a full backup next time, I promise!

I can't believe that it is a problem with the sound driver.

I only went to the latest version after the problem had already appeared, and the installed version had been working for at least a year without any problems.

Anyway, I'll plug on getting the system back to "normal" and then we can go back to trying to get my card reader working (remember that?)!

Thank you all so much.

Edited by Dave-H

...late again. My excuse is I didn't get an email notification from this thread so it slipped my mind, anyway...

From your description I have the old version of the Jessops card reader so I'm afraod can't help after all.

stuck

The sound is back! :thumbup Way to go, Dave! :thumbup

In case it works, now we proceed to compare SYSTEM32 with SYSTEM33 and find out the file(s) that are messing things up.
Did you compare the folder contents? What did you find out?

And, BTW, there is one more key that might be transplanted from the bad to the good system ini. It's:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\InstalledFiles

Of course, you might export them from both system.dats as reg files and compare them first, before merging anything, and just add the missing entries, if any. And make a backup of the working, good system.dat, just in case, before merging anything.

And yes, as soon as you've established your system really is working as it should, then back we go, on to getting the card reader working! :yes:

@stuck

Ah, I thought that would probably be the case, but thanks very much for the thought anyway!

@dencorso

Thanks yet again Den.

It appears the the waters were extremely muddied by the fact that Realtek posted a driver that doesn't actually work in Windows 98 (not on my system anyway) even though the download page clearly says that it supports all Windows versions from 98 Gold to XP!

:realmad:

The second fault condition, with the error in the Device Manager resources tab, was caused by the faulty driver.

The original fault, where there was no error in DM, but just no sound, seems to have gone away now I have cleaned out my system.

For anyone else with a Realtek AC'97 sound system and Windows 98, beware!

Version 4.00 works, version 4.06 (the latest posted) doesn't.

I have informed Realtek of this, I'm not holding my breath while waiting for a reply!

So, I am now going through my system cleaning the registry of all the obsolete junk left by the "dummy" clean Windows 98 installation.

I now have very many fewer devices registered in the system.

The only USB devices there are the ones that are actually part of the motherboard, plus my mouse, which is connected via a hub built into the keyboard, my Epson printer, and my Wacom drawing tablet.

They are all working fine.

All other devices, including all the pen drives and card readers, are gone, and I have been through and deleted all their associated files too.

So, when I'm happy that the system is as clean as possible (and fully backed up!), are we ready to try installing NUSB again (it seems so long ago.........)

OK, I think the system's as clean as it's ever going to be of spurious junk, both in the registry and the files.

I'm thinking of just reinstalling NUSB now and hoping for the best.

Is it safe to leave my other USB devices (listed in the previous post) or should I disconnect, uninstall, and clean the system of their files and registry entries before I try NUSB again?

None of them are mass storage devices, so my gut feeling is that they will make no difference.

Any advice appreciated.

HI, Dave!

OK, but first do create a *full* backup of your 98SE partition, plus a mini-backup containing just MSDOS.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, WIN.INI, CONTROL.INI, SYSTEM.INI,USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT.

You're right, NUSB is only interested in mass storage devices, so those devices you mentioned can be safely let remain in the system. But, then again, NUSB 3.3 installs a generic USB 2.0 stack, so that you ought to remove any Enhanced Host Controller present before installing. Please post a screenshot of your device manager with the USB controllers hive expanded, so I can advise you whether there is anything more to be removed before going on and installing NUSB 3.3, OK?

Thanks Den!

Here's my Device Manager.

It does look the same in Safe Mode, so there are no hidden devices lurking.

The "PCI Universal Serial Bus" in the Unused Devices section is the USB 2 hub, which NUSB will provide support for.

If you're happy with this, I'll do a final backup, go ahead with the NUSB install, and we'll see what happens!

It does look the same in Safe Mode, so there are no hidden devices lurking.

The "PCI Universal Serial Bus" in the Unused Devices section is the USB 2 hub, which NUSB will provide support for.

If you're happy with this, I'll do a final backup, go ahead with the NUSB install, and we'll see what happens!

Thanks for the screenshot, Dave. Yes. I think you are ready to go ahead and install NUSB 3.3, now.

After installation and reboot, I suggest you give it the HP 2GB flash drive to recognize, as the first test, then proceed to the card reader, and let the mode 7 Integral ICE USB 2.0 Flash Drive as the last one to be tested, because it's peculiar, as we all now know. Good luck!

OK, I've done all that.

Installed NUSB, rebooted and it found my USB 2 motherboard hardware and successfully installed drivers for it.

Restarted OK.

Backed up the registry again.

:yes:

Checked in HP System Diagnostics for any unconnected devices and removed them.

Still restarted OK.

Put my HP single drive memory stick in.

Drivers installed correctly and drive appeared in "My Computer".

Restarted, still OK.

Put my five drive card reader in.

Mass storage device found and installed OK.

First USB Drive found and apparently installed OK.

Second USB drive found, and..........immediate system lock-up!

So, I'm back exactly as before, after all that!

:realmad:

NUSB will install one drive, but freezes the system if it tries to install any more.

One clue which might be important.

On one occasion when the system froze, before the keyboard stopped responding I did manage to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and the close program box did come up.

It showed that msgsvr32 was not responding.

Looking at what this file does, I'm wondering if that's what's crashing and bringing the system down on the second drive install. The version I have is 4.10.0.2222, which seems to be reasonable.

I don't need a later version for this to work do I, the Windows ME version perhaps?

What I would like is confirmation from someone with NUSB installed that it will indeed mount more than one drive from the same device. If it's an intrinsic problem with NUSB then I'll have to abandon it and try something else.

:(

Edited by Dave-H

NUSB 3.3 mounts both partitions of my Iomega 500GB HDD without a hitch, Dave.

Fall back to the registry saved just before inserting the card reader for the first time and, before anything else, apply IOSYS98 and KB240075 UHCD.SYS hotfix (never minde that it's said to be for AMD and/or VIA only) and let's see whether this solves your problem. If that's not enough, we should compare the drivers in both our systems, to see which are different, and then try those. But I doubt the problem lies in msgsrv32.exe, since I too use v. 4.10.0.2222 (the one from ME doesn't work in 98SE, AFAIK). Meanwhile, find out what ChipGenius, under 2k, has to say about the controller of the card reader.

Later edit: Dave, give a look at this post also (read #22 to #30, please). Observe there's no need to remove and reinstall NUSB, you may simply create a modified usbstor.inf and substitute it for the original one in true DOS or from 2k.

NUSB 3.3 mounts both partitions of my Iomega 500GB HDD without a hitch, Dave.

That's good to know!

Fall back to the registry saved just before inserting the card reader for the first time and, before anything else, apply IOSYS98 and KB240075 UHCD.SYS hotfix (never minde that it's said to be for AMD and/or VIA only) and let's see whether this solves your problem. If that's not enough, we should compare the drivers in both our systems, to see which are different, and then try those. But I doubt the problem lies in msgsrv32.exe, since I too use v. 4.10.0.2222 (the one from ME doesn't work in 98SE, AFAIK). Meanwhile, find out what ChipGenius, under 2k, has to say about the controller of the card reader.

Done all that.

The second update (the MS one) didn't seem to replace any system files, so I may well have had it installed already.

The first one updated and added quite a few.

Unfortunately, none of it made a scrap of difference.

First "USB Disk" mounted fine, second one, immediate system freeze.

:(

Anyway, here's what Chip Genius made of the card reader.

I'm wondering if there would be anything to gain by firing up with the clean new Windows 98 install that I did on a separate drive, and try installing NUSB on that.

If the card reader works on that, at least we'll know that it's not an intrinsic problem with NUSB and my card reader.

What do you think of that idea Den?

Edited by Dave-H

What I would like is confirmation from someone with NUSB installed that it will indeed mount more than one drive from the same device.

I have NUSB and Orangeware drivers installed on both 98 and 98SE. The 5 partitions on my external hard drive all work fine. Both parts of a U3 flash drive are readable. No problems running the external hard drive and 2 flash drives together or with moving data from one to another. The 98FE box has the original msgsrv32.exe, 4/10/1998, so a newer one does not appear necessary.

Edited by herbalist

I'm wondering if there would be anything to gain by firing up with the clean new Windows 98 install that I did on a separate drive, and try installing NUSB on that.

If the card reader works on that, at least we'll know that it's not an intrinsic problem with NUSB and my card reader.

What do you think of that idea Den?

It's a good idea. Go for it! Let's see what happens.