Problem Installing Card Reader [Solved]

Dave-H

@herbalist

Thanks very much for that feedback.

I think I've now confirmed that there is actually nothing wrong with NUSB.

It's something peculiar to my system.

@dencorso

Well, I tried installing NUSB on my "clean" Windows 98, and it worked perfectly!

I installed both my card readers, the original and the new one, and both the HP and Integral memory sticks.

All worked with no problem at all.

So, at least I now know that the problem isn't with NUSB.

I did save the USBSTOR, USB, and complete ENUM registry keys from the working system.

I'm wondering whether to try importing at least the first two into the faulty system to see what happens......

:)

Dave, whatever is wrong must be referenced in an .inf, AFAIK. So I think the first step must be to compare C:\WIN-98\INF in both installations, find out which .infs exist in your main installation that don't exist in the clean one, and, among these, which refer to USB devices. These latter must then be decativated by renaming, and the detection of the card reader repeated, in order for us to pinpoint the offending .inf(s).

If this procedure doesn't lead us anywhere, then I'd try importing the keys you've saved. There is something interfering with the correct detection of multi-dispositive devices in your main system that must be corrected, to avoid problems with further devices in the future.

Dave, whatever is wrong must be referenced in an .inf, AFAIK. So I think the first step must be to compare C:\WIN-98\INF in both installations, find out which .infs exist in your main installation that don't exist in the clean one, and, among these, which refer to USB devices. These latter must then be decativated by renaming, and the detection of the card reader repeated, in order for us to pinpoint the offending .inf(s).

If this procedure doesn't lead us anywhere, then I'd try importing the keys you've saved. There is something interfering with the correct detection of multi-dispositive devices in your main system that must be corrected, to avoid problems with further devices in the future.

Well I compared the INF folders from the working Win98 and the non-working Win98.

As there was over 1000 files in each, I restricted the search to *.inf files (ignoring the *.pnf files) which contained the text "storage".

I identified a few possible culprits.

There were quite a few inf files from my HP photo printer, which contains card readers.

There was jmusbsto.inf, which came from a USB-SATA interface.

There was UFD.inf, a Microsoft mass storage driver.

Also USBZIP.inf, which goes with my USB Iomega ZIP drive.

I disabled all of those by renaming them, but no difference, still a system lock-up on the installation of the second drive.

I also tried using the autoexec.bat and config.sys files from the working system in the non-working system, and that made no difference either.

:(

I identified a few possible culprits.

There were quite a few inf files from my HP photo printer, which contains card readers.

There was jmusbsto.inf, which came from a USB-SATA interface.

There was UFD.inf, a Microsoft mass storage driver.

Also USBZIP.inf, which goes with my USB Iomega ZIP drive.

For these infs only, if there is a pnf of the same name, disable them too. Then look inside them for references to .vxds, .pdrs or .mpds, which, if found, will be located in system/iosubsys, or system and disable them too. Then return the system.ini you saved after recognizing the HP flash drive but before the first detection of the card reader. Then reboot into win98 and try once again detecting the card-reader.

Also: get the fantastic APSoft VxDView, and install it into both your main and your clean win98 installations and compare the list of vxds and pdrs that are loaded and running in each of the installations, in real time. And compare the contents of system/iosubsys in both installations, too. There *is* a difference: we must insist until we find it.

If you still have the disk for the photo printer, there is a quick way to find out if it's the problem. Install it on your new drive (after making a backup) and see if that causes the problem. I've also had problems with HP printer software causing conflicts.

Unless you've got something installed on your old system that can't be replaced, I'd consider building the new hard drive into a finished unit, making full backups as you go. I'd start with anything that installs drivers, like the printer.

For whatever may be of use (I think None :(), on the referenced page on bbs.mydigit.com there is only the .pdf of the schematics, which can be found here also:

http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2009_10/09100815016151.pdf

Specs here:

http://www.ite.com.tw/EN/products_more.asp...=4&ID=14,52

A driver can be found:

http://www.mtwchina.com/download.asp

http://www.mtwchina.com/download/setup_UT3...USBest_0110.rar

Here you can find:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/index.html

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/info-readers.html

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/speed-by-readers.html

that a card reader with:

Vid=1307

Pid=0330

is manufactured by Digisol, models 00047200 and 00047201, for which drivers are available:

http://www.digisol-online.com/epages/61690...20x/4720x_win98

dated 19/07/2009 they do seem newer than anything else, but really cannot say if it would make a difference.

..and yes, HP printer software DOES suck! :realmad:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

WOO HOO!

FIXED IT!!

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

After a lot of experimentation and process of elimination, the problem turned out to be caused by one single file.

This was lurking in the System\IOSubsys folder, and is called DMSHBA.VXD.

Disabling it by renaming it has made everything come good!

All my card readers and memory sticks are now installed and working perfectly.

Also my USB ZIP drive is working fine too.

The only major thing I now have to try plugging into the USB port is my HP photo printer, which has card readers built in. I will try that soon, but only after some major backing up of what I've got now, in case any more nasties appear!

I will report.

The DMSHBA.VXD file describes itself as "FirePort System Software", and is part of a utility from Diamond called "SCSI Diagnostics" which I've had since I used to have a Diamond SCSI card (I now use a much better Adaptec card.)

It scans the SCSI bus and shows information about the connected devices.

It still works without that VXD present, but throws up an error message when it runs saying "Unable to access the DMSHBA.Vxd. The Fireport SCSI ID Number may be incorrectly reported. This is not a critical error."

Otherwise it still seems to work fine.

There are no references to the file in the registry, however its presence was still stopping NUSB working properly.

Why NUSB should be affected by a SCSI utility I'm not sure!

Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

I've learned so much!

Special thanks to Multibooter, jaclaz, CharlotteTheHarlot, and dencorso.

You guys are the best!

:thumbup

Anyway, now that "little" eight forum page problem is resolved, I suppose I should give the background to all this, and why it happened in the first place, and why I'll be starting another (hopefully not as long!) thread over on the Windows 2000 forum!

I recently bought a new Nikon digital camera, a D-5000.

This replaced an older D-70 that I had.

When I came to connect the D-5000 to my computer, I was annoyed to find that, unlike the D-70, it has no mass storage USB mode, only PTP mode.

Now I wasn't really expecting it to work in Windows 98, but it turns out that it won't work with Windows 2000 either, as only XP and later OSes have PTP support.

When I rang Nikon about this, they said that Windows 2000 was not supported, and I would have to use a card reader to access my pictures. Apparently they dropped mass storage mode from their later cameras, as all current OSes support PTP (the usual story.....).

I then found my existing card reader didn't read the SDHC cards that I was using in the new camera, and that's why I had to buy a new card reader.

I then thought it would be nice to be able to use it in Windows 98 as well as 2000, and the rest is history!

So..........

Having sorted out the problem of the new card reader not having Windows 98 drivers, I will now be going over to the Windows 2000 forum to see if anyone's managed to get PTP to work in Windows 2000!

See you there guys...........

WOO HOO!

FIXED IT!!

:thumbup Congratulations, Dave! :yes:

This issue was a hard one to go down, especially so because it was threefold: the sound issue, the Integral pendrive issue (which, in fact, we caused, while troubleshooting the other two, then solved) and the main NUSB 3.3 issue... and thus it became a real brain surgery. The fact that it has been solved shows that, with persistence, careful experimentation and never-ending patience (and a clean, plain-vanilla alternate installation to experiment on, too), a full reinstall from scratch can always be avoided. But it also shows how labor-intensive it is to recover without an up-to-date library of backups. And, to create that, an imaging program is a must. Create a full system image once a month, and also always before major installs, and you can always fall back to your previous system state in 30 min or less. So your 1st priority, now, must be to set-up an imaging routine. All the rest can wait. Below are two quotes relevant to this matter. Whatever program you select to use, be sure that it's capable of creating images of individual partitions, so that you'll be able to backup individually each of your OSes, on a as-needed basis.

There are numerous free options, that IcemanND has collected in his list of Disk Imaging Software. Now, in what regards commercial software, there is Norton Ghost 2003, which may still be be found new at eBay for about $50 quite cheap. It does rock!
Yes, as dencorso says, get a copy of Norton Ghost 2003 from eBay, mine cost £3, hardly breaking the bank at that price.

The fact that it has been solved shows that, with persistence, careful experimentation and never-ending patience (and a clean, plain-vanilla alternate installation to experiment on, too), a full reinstall from scratch can always be avoided.

JFYI ;):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=6054&st=44

Happy problem is solved. :)

jaclaz

Thanks guys!

I do have a disk mirror program which I already use regularly to back up my archive drive, which contains all my documents, videos etc. to a removable IDE hard drive.

Would it be adequate to also back up my \WIN-98 and \Program Files folders with that, to the same drive?

I could even back up my \WIN-NT Windows 2000 folder too when in Windows 98, as I won't have any locked files problem if Windows 2000 isn't running.

(I love running a dual boot system!)

I do have a disk mirror program ....

You should get off the "backup" path and start on the "image" path.

Obviously I am personally against the use of GHOST, but the world is so nice because there is (among the others) the freedom to choose non-free apps. :).

jaclaz

You should get off the "backup" path and start on the "image" path.

Obviously I am personally against the use of GHOST, but the world is so nice because there is (among the others) the freedom to choose non-free apps. :).

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz.

I must say that I've always been a bit confused about the various backing up options.

What actually is the difference between "imaging", "mirroring", and just "backing up"?

I always assumed that once you had all the files on a drive copied to another drive, that was sufficient as a backup, especially if you run a dual boot system where hopefully at least one of the operating systems will always be working, allowing you to copy files to the other one if necessary.

Of course if I had a complete hard drive failure, both operating system would become useless, as they are both on different partitions on the same physical drive.

All I could do in that case would be to fit a new drive, boot into DOS using a Windows 98 startup disk, partition and format the new drive, and copy the files from the backup drive to the new partitions.

Doing that in DOS would destroy all the long file names though, so is hardly ideal.

I appreciate this is off the topic of the original thread, but I would value your recommendations on this.

I have now used the mirror program to back up my Windows folders and respective Program Files folders to a removable drive, and also I've added the Windows 2000 User Files (Documents and Settings) as well.

Thanks, Dave.

It's not that difficult. ;)

An image will make you be able to return wherever you were, whatever happens to the "original" disk drive. :thumbup

A backup does usually NOT. :(

Depending on the tools you have at hand, and your personal experience, and the way the backup was made, and what was backed up, and a number of other factors, you may be able to get back as well with a backup, but it is unlikely, no matter how good you are at it, that you will have actually exactly what you started with.

There is not only DOS, there are various PE based solutions and even DOS can be used WITHOUT losing long filenames, though.

You can even have a copy of Win2K (not "PE", the real thing ;)) on a USB device and use it as a "recovery environment", but any of these require more time and knowledge and being more complex inevitably are more likely to prove once again the universal validity of Murphy's Laws.

There are also "mixed" approaches, in which the "imaging" part is limited to vital data, like MBR, Disk signature, Partitin table, bootsectors and labels/serials and the files are "treated" as a "backup" would do.

Only you know which "risks" you want to take, which amount of time you can spend on the issue (both to choose the "right" tool for you and in restoring a dead system should havoc happen :ph34r:) and of course your personal "likes" and "likes not", it is difficult to give an advice, there are more solutions then stars in the sky, each with it's own limits or difficulties or however peculiarities.

jaclaz