Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Problem Installing Card Reader [Solved]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

jds

jds

-DOS+

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

It appears the the waters were extremely muddied by the fact that Realtek posted a driver that doesn't actually work in Windows 98 (not on my system anyway) even though the download page clearly says that it supports all Windows versions from 98 Gold to XP!
:realmad:
The second fault condition, with the error in the Device Manager resources tab, was caused by the faulty driver.
The original fault, where there was no error in DM, but just no sound, seems to have gone away now I have cleaned out my system.
For anyone else with a Realtek AC'97 sound system and Windows 98, beware!
Version 4.00 works, version 4.06 (the latest posted) doesn't.
I have informed Realtek of this, I'm not holding my breath while waiting for a reply!

I know this is an old post but ...

I have the same (?) situation with a GA-8IEX Rev 2 motherboard that I'm trying to get going. I initially tried the Realtek drivers from Gigabyte, which correspond to version 4.06, then found this post and tracked down a copy of the 4.00 drivers. So basically, I uninstalled the 4.06 drivers via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then installed the 4.00 drivers.

Now, the drivers are installed and report as OK, but there is no sound. So, did you need to do anything special to retrograde these drivers (or do I have faulty hardware)?

Joe.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

I know this is an old post but ...
I have the same (?) situation with a GA-8IEX Rev 2 motherboard that I'm trying to get going. I initially tried the Realtek drivers from Gigabyte, which correspond to version 4.06, then found this post and tracked down a copy of the 4.00 drivers. So basically, I uninstalled the 4.06 drivers via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then installed the 4.00 drivers.
Now, the drivers are installed and report as OK, but there is no sound. So, did you need to do anything special to retrograde these drivers (or do I have faulty hardware)?
Joe.

Hi Joe!
:hello:
I'd almost forgotten about this!
Did you use Driver Cleaner to completely wipe all traces of the 4.06 driver?
If not, uninstall the driver you've got loaded, clean the system with Driver Cleaner, and try reinstalling version 4.00 again.
I think that's what eventually worked for me.
Good luck!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

jds

jds

-DOS+

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

I'd almost forgotten about this!
Did you use Driver Cleaner to completely wipe all traces of the 4.06 driver?
If not, uninstall the driver you've got loaded, clean the system with Driver Cleaner, and try reinstalling version 4.00 again.
I think that's what eventually worked for me.

Thanks Dave! :hello:

I tracked down a copy of Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 and followed the instructions in the ReadMe file (basically as above, with a trip via Safe Mode). It deleted a bunch of registry entries. When I re-installed the 4.00 drivers, there was a 'click' sound from the speakers. I'm pretty sure that was the first signs of life from them. Sound still didn't work, but after checking the MB manual, I realized there were two jumpers missing from a pin header labelled "F_AUDIO_I". That was the final piece of the puzzle and sound now works! :)

Joe.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
Brilliant!
Glad you got it sorted.
:thumbup

dencorso

dencorso