• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DEFIANTx

Drives are in Wrong Order in Disk Management

4 posts in this topic

I installed a new sata hard drive recently and in the motherboard bios the drives are listed in the correct order. But in Windows XP64, under Disk Management, 2 of my drives show in the wrong order.

sata1 C: in bios------>disk0 C: in disk management ========== Correct

sata2 D: in bios------>disk1 E: in disk management ==========\ These 2 are in the wrong order...

sata3 E: in bios------>disk2 D: in disk management ==========/ How do I get the to be reconized like they are in the bios?

sata4 F: in bios------>disk3 F: in disk management ========== Correct

I tried connecting all my drives one at a time. At first drive D: shows up as disk1, but as soon as I connect drive E: and reboot there switched again??? This is absolutely maddening. I suppose I'd have to completely reinstall windows to get them to show correctly?

Disk Management - Right-Click Change Drive Letter...

Sata2 to X

Sata3 to D

Sata2 to E

Note that the Drive Letters are the Partitions, not the actual HDD...

You had the right idea already Defiantx... moving back to x64.

Thank you Tripredacus, wasn't sure if it was strictly a 64 or 32 bit problem. or both??

I did manage to get it to work by switching the sata cables on ports 2 and 3 on the motherboard (Hard Drives D: and E: in Windows). I double checked my motherboard user guide (P5QC) and there listed as:

1-2

3-4

5-6

So in order for Windows to see them in order, 2 and 3 have to be switched in bios, making them out of order there. Weird?

Anyways, thanks for the help all, problem solved...close if you like.

Edited by DEFIANTx