Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Task Scheduler error 1717; Event Log service error 126

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

bguidry

bguidry
  • 7 posts
Hi All,
I'm having a problem with Task Scheduler on XP Media Center Edition, which i've narrowed down to a probable specific issue with something called the "event Log Service".

Under Computer Management - Services - The Event Log is set to Automatic, but is not running. I try to start it, it gives the following error:
"Could not start the Event Log Service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module cannot be found". A similar error occurs with something called "Task Scheduler" in the same place - except this time the second part is "Error 1717: The interface is unknown".

I think my issue is related to this forum post, http://minasi.com/fo...?TOPIC_ID=12305. I looked at my Symantec Endpoint Protection quarantined files, which showed a virus called "Trojan.Dropper" had deleted a file named "eventlog.dll". As soon as I restore the file, though, it cleans it by deleting it again.

Does anyone have any idea how to replace this .dll file with a clean one? Is it simply by copying a clean file, pasting in the /System32 directory, and registering it?

Edited by bguidry, 24 October 2009 - 05:56 PM.

Barry

Windows XP MCE 2005
Intel Celeron, Socket 478 Pentium 4 - 2.6GHz
nVidia XFX GeForce 8600 GT video card
Sony CDRW/DVD CRX330E
NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A
Samsung 250GB Primary IDE HDD
Samsung 40BG Secondary IDE HDD
4GB DDR Memory

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users