7Customizer - a Windows 7 Customization and Deployment tool

@blue

I've noticed that although 7customizer shows that windows update packs' integration was successful,

once the OS is installed and I run Windows Update, some but not all of the packs integrated, are listed as packes that Windows update asks me to download

and install.

Has anyone else noticed that?

avnerk

I'm not sure about previous versions, but 0.2.5 does not handle spaces in the path name to the source (ie C:\SHARED\ISO IMAGES\WINDOWS7\x86\en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 where en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 is the extracted ISO image).

Log Output:

dism result end.
added: "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /XML /info "C:\SHARED\ISO IMAGES\WINDOWS7\x86\en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921\sources\install.wim">work\imagesinfo.xml
Starting imagex
Imagex created imagesinfo.xml Successfully
Reading images information from imagesinfo.xml
First 5 lines of imagesinfo.xml

Error opening file [C:\SHARED\ISO].

Moving en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 to c:\SHARED\en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 works fine as does renaming "ISO IMAGES" to "ISO_IMAGES"

dcc

I'm not sure about previous versions, but 0.2.5 does not handle spaces in the path name to the source (ie C:\SHARED\ISO IMAGES\WINDOWS7\x86\en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 where en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 is the extracted ISO image).

Log Output:

dism result end.
added: "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /XML /info "C:\SHARED\ISO IMAGES\WINDOWS7\x86\en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921\sources\install.wim">work\imagesinfo.xml
Starting imagex
Imagex created imagesinfo.xml Successfully
Reading images information from imagesinfo.xml
First 5 lines of imagesinfo.xml

Error opening file [C:\SHARED\ISO].

Moving en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 to c:\SHARED\en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921 works fine as does renaming "ISO IMAGES" to "ISO_IMAGES"

dcc

This has been answered allot of times (read the topic). Choose a place without spaces in the folder's when selecting the source and it's okay.

Its even marked with bold in the beginning of the topic:

4. It is recommended to run the program in a directory that does not have white spaces for example, c:\7Customizer\.

5. It is recommended to place your instalation source in a directory that does not have white spaces for example, c:\win7.

Edited by franner

Hi, you've done a good job writing 7Customizer. I'm saying this because few months ago i started writing my own version of vLite for Win7/Win2k8r2 (that's how it looked)and i never found enough time to finish it. The main aim of my prog was to easily remove packages without messing with DISM and command line like in this guide (By the way, i am the author of small toll called "install wim tweak" that is present in few removal guides). So far, i managed to use DISM in full GUI mode (with progress bar etc) and even to use my app without need of having WAIK installed (and i am not talking about smuggling any WAIK components somewhere). But as i mentioned, i'm not have enough time for this and is likely that i never finish my app. So, if you need any help/advice/collaboration with developing 7Customizer, PM me :) (i can even share some of my code)

@tcntad @SwedenXP

You are most welcome

@avnerk

Patience, do not rush things. I know that you are excited but take it easy (I am excited too :D ). Tweaks will come with every release or two.

UPDATE:

All tweaks worked fine under 0.2.5

@mickmack

This bug has been reported before. It will be fixed in this release (hopefully). Meanwhile I recommend you work on a clean Windows installation.

@avnerk

I've noticed that although 7customizer shows that windows update packs' integration was successful,

once the OS is installed and I run Windows Update, some but not all of the packs integrated, are listed as packes that Windows update asks me to download

and install.

Has anyone else noticed that?

As I mentioned before 7Customizer prepares instructions for dism. If certain updates are not integrated properly, it might be a dism problem.

Anyways, I will try it myself and report back. BTW, is the image you used was vlited or was it a clean one?

@wnuku

Thanks man for sharing your experience. I appreciate your will to help. If you have started removing components in your program then I will contact you as soon as I get to the components part in 7Customizer.

Regards

@mickmack

No, this is a bug in 7Customizer that few people reported it. I tried to resolve it before but I did not succeed. Anyways, in the next release or the on after the next will solve it for sure.

x-layer pointed that he used another installation source and it worked for him.

BTW, I do not recommend using 7Customizer on syspreped images because theses images are ready for deployment not for integrating or modification(this is in my opinion only).

Regards

@blue4603 thank you for fast reply.

is it possible to create unattended.xml file and than to make sysprep using this .xml file? because any .xml file i use, at "pe" point a get blank list of available operating systems to install. and setup gives error and refuses to continue, but without unatended.xml it works ok. by the way, same problem "7Customizer.Form1.selectImagePathBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)" i get with bie iso which has updates integrated.

all i want from 7customizer is to make autounattend.xml file because vlite and wsim crushing upon loading my syspreped image. so no tweaks, no removal.

Edited by mickmack

@jamesbebby

Why do you want to delete the mount folder? 7Customizer needs this folder to work properly

If you want to delete the contetn of mount folde first make sure that there is not any image mounted. If there is just unmount it using imagex.

Thanks for the registry tweaks file

Regards

sorry but how do i unmount it then?

cheers james

@mickmack

is it possible to create unattended.xml file and than to make sysprep using this .xml file?

Yes. Create an autounattend.xml using 7customizer. Then install Windows and then sysprep.

ecause any .xml file i use, at "pe" point a get blank list of available operating systems to install. and setup gives error and refuses to continue, but without unatended.xml it works ok.

As I mentioned before use a clean Windows installation source do not use modified ones. Also, as I mentioned before, 7Customizer does not work well with modified versions.

I repeat my suggestion here: Use unmodified Windows installation source with 7customizer. I can not help you if you use modified ones. In future release I might make 7Customizer work with modified images. (maybe after all 7Customizer features are implemented)

@jamesbebby

use dism to unmount it or use Mr Jinje DISM Tool

Regards

hi blue4603!

I'm glad to see that someone is working on a "7Lite".

Your 7Customize has many features I'd like to have in a 7Lite replacement.

I'd also like to have option to "activate" the old windows start menu - I know you can't change the start menu to the old one easily but maybe an add-on which integrates a small "old style start menu"-app like this one http://usuarios.lycos.es/coreaffinity/clas...instartmenu.htm

Maybe it's too soon to ask (because you released v0.3.0 yesterday) but when will it be able to remove components from the install disc?

If you would like to i could help you with the development of 7customize (find registry tweaks, FAQ, Tutorial,...)

Why I m getting this error ?

Unexpected Error: Could not find a part of the path <b>'D:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\work\testimagex.bat'.<b>

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)

at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)

at _7Customizer.Form1.selectImagePathBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Edited by madhuranand007

@litecball

I'd also like to have option to "activate" the old windows start menu - I know you can't change the start menu to the old one easily but maybe an add-on which integrates a small "old style start menu"-app like this one http://usuarios.lycos.es/coreaffinity/clas...instartmenu.htm

This is a separate software. You could install it if you would like to but I will not integrate it in 7Customizer.

Maybe it's too soon to ask (because you released v0.3.0 yesterday) but when will it be able to remove components from the install disc?

Removing components will be the last feature to be implemented

If you would like to i could help you with the development of 7customize (find registry tweaks, FAQ, Tutorial,...)

Well, you could. If you have registry tweaks that are not in 7Customizer you could post them here.

@madhuranand007

Where is your log?

Regards

This doesn't work on Windows 7RTM with Win7 WAIK 1,6GB

Tried to use 7customizer with the newer WAIK on Windows 7 and failed..

Unexpected error;Check log; dism result begin > Error: 740 Elevated permissions are required to run DISM.

Will it work only with older WAIK on Win7? and what error is it what I got?

Edited by cjkpopasia