Ask your Seven xml ? here

I know there are easier ways to do this, but I personally think using the tool which comes with the kit would be the best, not having to run many different programs to get the results i.e vlite, and others.

True but

The easy ways were created I believe since

a. MS don't help much with their 1.5Gb download. They don't show full examples of say Dvd, Ris or whatever. You get error's you crash and burn.

b. People still get error's and go seeking help. Edit: Most this is answered not from MS but by other users that have, Been there done that

c. A lot of people on dial-up or limited internet access and 1.5gb download is not a good thing. I've been there so I know.

d. They want it fast. No time to wade through all the mess that many before have already done and can give guidance of their methods

Edited by maxXPsoft

Hey brother I have already insalled WAIK and I wish to make my answer file by myself can you please tell me how to set a custom theme as default them with xml file. I mean I need to know the option where I would find theme option if I am making an answer file with the help of WSIM?

I have used some already made xml for applying custom theme but not working properly.

I want to integrate some custom themes and would like to apply one of them as default theme.

I want to integrate some custom themes and would like to apply one of them as default theme.

Hello!

You can find help inside: "Unattentend Windows Setup Reference for Windows 7.chm" include with WAIK for Windows 7:

Extract:

Applies To

For a list of the supported Windows editions and architectures that this component supports, see Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup.

XML Example

The following XML output shows how to set a customized theme.

<Themes>
<ThemeName>Fabrikam Theme</ThemeName>
<DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>
<DesktopBackground>%WINDIR%\web\wallpaper\fabrikam.jpg</DesktopBackground>
<BrandIcon>%programfiles%\Fabrikam\fabrikam-logo.png</BrandIcon>
<ScreenSaver>Bubbles.scr</ScreenSaver>

<WindowColor>Violet</WindowColor>
</Themes>

Write inside Index: "Themes" for more informations!

I hope that will help you! :rolleyes:

Edited by myselfidem

Thanks for your reply but as I have already metioned in my previous post that I tried some ready made xml but when I try to install my OS after editing my OS doesn't apply that custom theme infact it is using Default aero theme as default theme. Secondly I have replaced all three theme files with patched patched files but then also aero theme is not working then I had to use unversal theme patcher for patching those files once again.

Do I need to make any more changes other then the name in the theme in the Autounattend.xml, as mere changing name is not applying custom theme as default theme?

Secondly I have replaced all three theme files with patched patched files but then also aero theme is not working then I had to use unversal theme patcher for patching those files once again.

so if you used patched themes then you are adding the patched theme dll? It allows other themes besides ms

so if you used patched themes then you are adding the patched theme dll? It allows other themes besides ms

This is not the problem for me anymore, as I have already mentioned I have already patched all 3 theme files with universal theme patcher and now everything is fine apart from applying custom theme as default theme.

If you can tell me where I can add that option in my answer file when I would try to create an answer file with WSIM.

I don't want to use a ready made answer file.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-install-use-3rd-party-custom-themes-in-windows-7/

You're saying you patched the themes but did you do this?

Like other Windows versions, Windows 7 also doesn't allow 3rd party themes to be used by default and you'll need to patch following 3 system files to be able to use 3rd party themes in Windows 7:

* uxtheme.dll

* themeui.dll

* themeservice.dll

And add them to your mounted source?

I'll do that here next day or so and see what happens.

Far as your sig: I don't want to use a ready made answer file.

No one should, examples are only that, customize whichever way you want.

I have already patched my files and replaced those files in the mounted install.wim. Aero theme is not a problem for me anymore. Now only applying my custom theme is problem for me.

I'll get there, made a messup with install yesterday and theme didn't take complete but still looking at it

Solved Theme

AutoUnattend.xml

<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Themes>
<ThemeName>C:\Windows\resources\Themes\landscapes.theme</ThemeName>
<DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>
<DesktopBackground>%WINDIR%\web\wallpaper\Landscapes\img7.jpg</DesktopBackground>
</Themes>
</component>

you must select img from <DesktopBackground> within your modded theme

change processorArchitecture="amd64" to your processor

Edited by Tripredacus
fixed link

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has probably been answered, I have read the help files for the WAIK on configuration passes a couple times and am still unclear about something. How do I know where to add specific settings and if I add them in one spot do I need them in others? I understand in what steps the passes run and know that all component settings aren't available for all passes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kevin

I know this has probably been answered, I have read the help files for the WAIK on configuration passes a couple times and am still unclear about something. How do I know where to add specific settings and if I add them in one spot do I need them in others? I understand in what steps the passes run and know that all component settings aren't available for all passes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kevin

Look at first post for a X86 example with a lot of settings. X64 in 2nd post. The more you add means less you answer or set for your final system. Then feel free to ask ? from there.

Hey max, thanks for the reply much appreciated. I have looked through the xml files that you posted quite a few times previously. I understand the part about the more I answer the less I end up doing after the install. My question I suppose is just if there are multiple passes to enter the same component information does it make a difference which pass I supply the information to. This may not make any sense, I have a feeling I am not understanding the passes clearly even though I read the MS help files a number of times. If there is a better resource you know of please let me know. I'm very accustomed to the 2000\XP style unattended setup so please bear with me if possible. :) Have a good one.

Kevin

MS gave options to do a lot of different things like dvd or WDS and if you doing anything besides Dvd you will add things a lot in earlier Passes. Setting language you want to see in each pass is straight forward or defaults to dvd default. I built this to serve many languages so giving settings for each pass. Screen also but if you don't set MS defaults to what they do in each. If you're doing a dvd install my examples will get through that no problem with xml on a usb stick or floppy. Not a lot of repetition.

I have more here cause these things also serve to use Auditsystem and Audituser passes.