Ask your Seven xml ? here

Weird.

The final version of the command is

<CommandLine>cmd /c start /wait %systemdrive%\TEMP\SystemUpdate.exe -s -a /s /v"/qn CREATESHORTCUT=1"</CommandLine>

It works in VM but not on real PC! What the heck?

Is there any log I can check for errors during installation of things? There's not much I could use in Panther folder. I need to find out why does it not install.

Edited by TheWalrus

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea why does this

<TrustedSites>https://cag.cz.o2.com;https://neos.cz.o2.com</TrustedSites>

not get carried over to the installation? Everything else works, but this doesn't.

Comes from specialize\ <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning TrustedSites, this didn't work for me neither, so I applied a reg dump to the system later on.

I did likewise for IE's security setting to also accept addresses beginning with http://, not just https:// ...

Other topic:

I used a rather basic xml file (generated by WSIM) to set up some notebook. It worked fine.

However, there's one option I missed compared to the winnt.sif procedure known from W2K/WXP:

I have no idea how to tell w7setup to change the %Windir% folder from default WINDOWS to W7 for instance.

Are there any ideas how to achieve this? Do I need some sort of hack for that?

TIA,

Mikka

Edit:

The relevant switch within former winnt.sif files was TargetPath, e.g. the following line was valid:

TargetPath=\WINXP

(resulting in the %windir% directory C:\WINXP being created ...)

Edited by Mikka

Did you add the settings below because <TrustedSites> requires it. Read <TrustedSites> in the Unattend.chm

IEHardenAdmin

Specifies whether ESC is enabled for all administrators on the computer.

IEHardenUser

Specifies whether ESC is enabled for all users on the computer.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Just one question mate, will this pin chrome's shortcut on the taskbar?

<TaskbarLinks>
<Link0>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe</Link0>
</TaskbarLinks>

Secondly, can you help me over here: with the help of some script (vbs or au3)?

Edited by nice_guy75

Each of the settings under TaskbarLinks specifies the complete path and the file name of a shortcut file with a .lnk file name extension

On other I have taskbar disabled on this install so I don't have anything there but quicklaunch

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any instances where a command ran from live system would work normally, and putting it in firstlogoncommands wouldn't?

I am trying to install Cisco VPN Client and it just doesn't do anything.

<Order>9</Order>
<CommandLine>cmd /c start /wait msiexec.exe /qn /i "%systemdrive%\install\Cisco VPN 5\vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9\vpnclient_setup.msi"</CommandLine>
<Description>install Cisco VPN</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>

Update: if I install this first, it WORKS. If I leave my answer file as it usually is (few more entries before), it doesn't. I have no idea what's wrong :(

Is there a way to check what actually happens in those popup windows where apps get installed? With an eyeblink I saw some text in two of them, but then it disappeared. It doesn't help to use "cmd /k" instead, the window gets wiped and I see clean command prompt.

Edited by TheWalrus

Oh it's not about quotes. I tested that. I mean, just because it's more "proper" way to use the code doesn't mean quotes won't work.

In fact, I nailed it down to previous command, which installs some Citrix plugin. I have no idea why is it acting up like this, because the commands are supposed to execute separately, waiting for the previous one to finish, but it works after I removed the Citrix thing. Weird, really weird.

I'm posting my question {problem} here since I found the topic most suitable for asking answer file questions and am trying to avoid bloating the forum space. Sorry if it's the wrong place...

Below is my AutoUnattend.xml. It's a slightly modified version of the file posted by "Rick Steele". I've only hushed up the product key and my name in it, plus removed or added sections I use often.

Win7 SP1 (x64) image - which I use for testing on VirtualBox - recognizes it OK in the root of DVD and all goes fine until expansion of files is complete. After that the setup pops up with the following message: "Windows could not apply settings during pass [offlineServicing]". I've rearranged the order of passes, removed pass [offlineServicing] completely, re-checked the sections which I modified in original XML... tens of times - to no avail yet!!!

Googling didn't help either - I found only this article but the symptoms described there are not applicable to my file since both Setup.exe and "Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package" under "servicing" are the same version, i.e. 6.1.7601.17514... :(

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Autounattend.xml

Edited by simurqq

I'm posting my question {problem} here since I found the topic most suitable for asking answer file questions and am trying to avoid bloating the forum space. Sorry if it's the wrong place...

Below is my AutoUnattend.xml. It's a slightly modified version of the file posted by "Rick Steele". I've only hushed up the product key and my name in it, plus removed or added sections I use often.

Win7 SP1 (x64) image - which I use for testing on VirtualBox - recognizes it OK in the root of DVD and all goes fine until expansion of files is complete. After that the setup pops up with the following message: "Windows could not apply settings during pass [offlineServicing]". I've rearranged the order of passes, removed pass [offlineServicing] completely, re-checked the sections which I modified in original XML... tens of times - to no avail yet!!!

Googling didn't help either - I found only this article but the symptoms described there are not applicable to my file since both Setup.exe and "Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package" under "servicing" are the same version, i.e. 6.1.7601.17514... :(

Any help is much appreciated!!!

I could be wrong but I think it's the Foundation packages you have in the Autounattend, that should be moved to the Unattend.xml. That's the only time I get those Offline errors is if the packages are in the wrong place.

Thank you both!!!

I guess I somehow managed to solve the problem by:

(i) completely removing packages from Autounattend.xml

(ii) dropping Autounattend.xml onto a separate USB stick.

After that unattended setup completed successfully! Dunno why but whatever I do, setup refuses to read Autounattend.xml directly from the root of installation DVD. Actually, it reads it and follows instructions partially (judging from "skipped" windows during setup) but pops up with the above message at some point after expansion of Windows files. Anyway, I'll stick to the above scheme for now, and will share future problems/achievements with you here...

Now, let me ask a completely different question which occurred during the last successful installation... I cannot implement different keyboard input languages. As you can see from Autounattend.xml (see: my previous post above), the XML contains the following:

<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<InputLocale>0409:00000409; 042c:0000042c; 0419:00000419</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>ru-RU</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>

But in fact, on first logon to Desktop I cannot see English, Azeri & Russian set as keyboard input locales on the language bar. Checked it on Regional settings page - the same thing, only en-US is defined. System locale (Russian) is OK though... Input locales - no changes!

Any advice?!? Maybe I need to apply these settings at different pass? Thank you!

Thank you, maxXPsoft! Your link helped a lot...

I noticed that I actually had defined <InputLocale> in 2 passes - "specialize" and "oobeSystem". As <InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale> in "specialize", and as <InputLocale>0409:00000409; 042c:0000042c; 0419:00000419</InputLocale> under "oobeSystem". I think that was the problem... So, I have removed the following section from "specialize" and left <InputLocale> values under "oobeSystem" only and this solved the problem! ;)

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>ru-RU</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>

Edited by simurqq